Need some help with our new volunteer training documentation

We are working on new training for our support volunteers, and I am keen to get some feedback from FFC to find out about what the impact of your loved ones OCD can have on you.

So for example this is some of what we are working on.

The impact of family members should not be underestimated. Loved ones, often unwittingly become entwined in the OCD compulsions:

o Reassurance. Asked to offer reassurance to the OCD.
o Avoidance. Asked to avoid objects or places to fear triggering the OCD in their loved one
o Rituals. Asked to carry our action for their loved one, i.e. look after baby. Take rubbish out. Asked to strip naked at the door so not to spread contamination.

Please do post if you feel there is something we should advise our volunteers about. Is there another way that you are involved in OCD not mentioned above, or is there a direct impact on FFC we are forgetting?

Thanks.

Guest Lesley P

The three items you've listed are the practical side of OCD and family and friends. However, one of the biggest issues is the emotional rollercoaster that you go on. Frustration, anger, sadness, isolation, loneliness and so on. As the mother of an OCD sufferer I've been trying to find a support system that helps me talk to other parents that have experienced OCD within their family and survived to tell the tale! You have to talk to someone - to get advice on how to deal with a situation. The OCD-UK Forum has been great and is worth mentioning in any materials.

I'm not quite sure how you wrap up the above in training materials but I do feel that volunteers need to understand that family and friends need their own support network and system to deal with it.

One difficult aspect of supporting a loved one with ocd is respecting their confidence and yet answering questions about them and what they are doing in their lives when talking to friends/colleagues.

As with all aspects of helping someone recover from ocd, good communication is absolutely vital. Much talking is needed between the sufferer and FFCs. Remembering, that choice is the most empowering thing for the sufferer to have.

Dave

Guest Sally44

I would say the amount of time OCD takes up.

My son is 14 and has contamination OCD. He is also on the autistic spectrum. Currently he is finding it very hard to resist his compulsions. That means we end up having to micro manage his day. That means I am practically shadowing his day - meaning my day is literally his day. For example, if we don't limit the amount of wipes/toilet paper he will block up the toilet. A couple of days ago our neighbours came round to tell us that their pipes had been blocked and they had to get the water company out. It was blocked with wipes!

And the same applies to almost everything. He has to have help going through doors or he literally gets stuck and cannot touch the handles. Cannot put his shoes on. Cannot brush his teeth.

He's had 3 year infections needed antibiotics this last month due to the amount of time he is in the bath! So we have to try to limit his time bathing, washing, on the toilet. Limit his access to soap. Ensure he uses a towel and gets dressed. The list is endless.

He is exhausted and we are exhausted.

I agree with the emotional side too. You can get so frustrated. Especially when the person is not able to recognise or ignore their OCD. It also causes alot of anxiety for parents for their childs future - educational attainment, ability to work, ability to be independent, social wellbeing, etc

And also the struggle it is to get any professional involved. The person with OCD and their family can be left on their own for years before they manage to get some kind of support or therapy. BUT it needs to be emphasised that they MUST seek that help and not give up at the first, second, third refusal.