How much anxiety to endure?

Guest Stu.

How much anxiety and nasty thoughts can one person endure before they literally go mad?

There must be a limit surely?

Edited by Ashley
Edited title, to create a thread!

Nasty thoughts are just that, thoughts! They can be scary and anxiety provoking, but ultimately they can not hurt us and like a good horror movie at some point the film ends and we can focus on something less scary.

Asking about what people can endure, well I would say hell of a lot. We have people with OCD on the forum who have lived with and coped with horrific incidents, seen graphic and violent scenes and been the victims of horrific abuses, yet those people are still here fighting, and for some of them I know are winning the battle against their OCD. So people can endure and cope with a lot, sometimes though we don't realise just how strong we are.

I once wrote in the charity magazine (you should both become members to support us, so we can support you) that I respect people with OCD so much and that they are all heroes. They get up day after day knowing that what awaits them is a living nightmare of mental torture, but they still get up, they still do their best each day, they still achieve great things, they just achieve it against greater hurdles in the form of OCD. We are all heroes for surviving, but we have to start living.

Stu, Bruce's for you both a new outlook is needed, maybe a better question to ask is 'What can I do to help myself move forward today?'. Until you start asking positive questions, you will continue to think in this unhelpful negative way.

Ashley :)

Guest Stu.

Nasty thoughts are just that, thoughts! They can be scary and anxiety provoking, but ultimately they can not hurt us and like a good horror movie at some point the film ends and we can focus on something less scary.

Asking about what people can endure, well I would say hell of a lot. We have people with OCD on the forum who have lived with and coped with horrific incidents, seen graphic and violent scenes and been the victims of horrific abuses, yet those people are still here fighting, and for some of them I know are winning the battle against their OCD. So people can endure and cope with a lot, sometimes though we don't realise just how strong we are.

I once wrote in the charity magazine (you should both become members to support us, so we can support you) that I respect people with OCD so much and that they are all heroes. They get up day after day knowing that what awaits them is a living nightmare of mental torture, but they still get up, they still do their best each day, they still achieve great things, they just achieve it against greater hurdles in the form of OCD. We are all heroes for surviving, but we have to start living.

Stu, Bruce's for you both a new outlook is needed, maybe a better question to ask is 'What can I do to help myself move forward today?'. Until you start asking positive questions, you will continue to think in this unhelpful negative way.

Ashley :)

It wasn't meant as a negative thread, it was just a thought I had, although it is hard to think positive when you've been right through the mental health system and they've been completely unable to help.