Why is everyone including all organisations so anti euthanasia in this country?

Guest Stu.

Even my mental health team or anyone at the nhs will even discuss it!, or even give contact details to someone in Europe where its legal, why do we have to suffer on and on!?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest heartplace

Euthanasia is illegal in most countries. Besides, OCD is treatable so I don't think it would count as something euthanasia can be used for. The best thing you can do is just seek the best treatment you can for OCD. It's out there, you just have to find it.

Euthanasia is illegal in most countries. Besides, OCD is treatable so I don't think it would count as something euthanasia can be used for. The best thing you can do is just seek the best treatment you can for OCD. It's out there, you just have to find it.

I don't see how ocd is treatable, ive seen 4 therapists and tried 4 medications, it hasn't helped me at all!!, im actually worse now than I was 5 years ago!

Edited by Stu.
Guest heartplace

I don't see how ocd is treatable, ive seen 4 therapists and tried 4 medications, it hasn't helped me at all!!, im actually worse now than I was 5 years ago!

How long did you see each therapist?

Right now I feel the same way you do but I'm aware that it can be treated. It may not be cured, but it can be treated and manageable and you can actually start to function in life.

How long did you see each therapist?

Right now I feel the same way you do but I'm aware that it can be treated. It may not be cured, but it can be treated and manageable and you can actually start to function in life.

but not cured, hence why i'd rather just go than continue to suffer.

You're looking for an easy way out rather than do the hard work to overcome OCD. You may have seen four therapists but did you actually receive Cognitive Behavioral Therapy based on Exposure and Response Prevention and did you actually do the work necessary to see an improvement?

OCD can be beaten. It takes a lot of hard work on your part. You've been here for quite a while and you're no further ahead. That tells me that you haven't bought into what you've been told to do. You aren't doing what you're supposed to in order to overcome this disorder.

It's not easy. It down right sucks. But you actually have to do the work to see improvement. It also takes months of work. You have to commit to it and do it.

Stu - euthanasia is illegal . It won't be discussed as it is not seen as an option . We would all have our own opinions on when and if this should be an option for those who's quality of life is diminished to such a point that euthanasia should be legalised. Ocd and depression in isolation would not register in my list of situations where euthanasia should be considered. If there is treatment that could be accessed and medication to be taken then there is hope . Where there is hope then life should be continued.

Hi Stu,

Sorry you are feeling this way. I've felt the same up until recently.

I can say it gets better with the right help. It took ages for me to find it. But it was worth it.

I too often wonder the same question stu I think we should be able to be in charge of our own destiny,I know someone who has terminal cancer and is in total agony,we don't make animals suffer so why does a supposed civilised society make him suffer to the end,anybody can take their own life but why make them go out and do it in traumatic circumstances with possible harm and trauma to others,I too would give it very strong consideration if it was ever available.

Hi Stu,

I am sorry you are feeling this way,i can understand the way you are feeling,and i know of others who feel the same!

I really do not know how someone can comment that "you havn't bought into what you have been told to do" unless of course they know that you havn't.

I have tried for years and am still trying to find the right treatment/therapist etc.

Try and keep going as best you can,as the others have said there is always hope.

I too often wonder the same question stu I think we should be able to be in charge of our own destiny,I know someone who has terminal cancer and is in total agony,we don't make animals suffer so why does a supposed civilised society make him suffer to the end,anybody can take their own life but why make them go out and do it in traumatic circumstances with possible harm and trauma to others,I too would give it very strong consideration if it was ever available.

It is available in parts of Europe bruces for people with mental health problems, but no one in the uk will help you find a contact there, they'd much prefer that you carry on suffering, this world is one seriously messed up place!

Suffering? Suffering. Billions of people on this Earth suffer far worse lives than we do, children, babies, women, men. OCD is by no means the worse cross to bare, even as illnesses go. We only continue to suffer because we give up. OCD can be treated, maybe there will be a cure, maybe there will not. Life was not built for ease. Life is hard because it has moments worth living, death is easy because it does not. Everyone has pain in there life, everyone has suffering, all suffering is relevant, it just comes in different kinds but there are people I would not trade places with.

I have had nearly every kind of OCD possible at some point, right now it is so bad I'm afraid to move. It is suffering but it is my suffering and everyone has there own. It is not the weight of the cross we carry, it is how we bare it. You talk as if there is no hope, well if you are dead there really isn't. OCD is a lifelong battle, maybe it will never improve, maybe it will, but if you are not around then you will never find out. I wont give my opion on euthanasia in mental illness, this is not the place. Stop looking for the fire exit and pick up the extinguisher, you may struggle to work out how to use it but at least with it there is a chance, outside the exit is a 100 foot drop and no chance at all.

Phili, I don't agree. For some people there really is very little worse than living with OCD - even my doctor has said that. I find comments like, "We only continue to suffer because we give up" very, very upsetting. A friend of mine was in a hospital with a 92-year-old lady with severe OCD, She had survived the horrors of a Nazi death camp. It's a pity she isn't able to write on here. It would change a few people's minds...

Hi Stu,
I am sorry you are feeling this way,i can understand the way you are feeling,and i know of others who feel the same!

I really do not know how someone can comment that "you havn't bought into what you have been told to do" unless of course they know that you havn't.

How I agree, Daisy. I have watched dear friends who 'bought' into every single damn thing they were told to do. Who persevered for decades and never gave up, who remained so positive to the ends of their lives...How dare anyone judge in this way!

Is there any other condition where people (even those who suffer it) judge so harshly?!!!

Stu, People from the UK used to be able to ask for help in Switzerland if their mental health condition was long standing and had not responded to any treatment, but I think, due to pressure, they have tightened up on that. You are right about the world being seriously messed up.

Phili, I hope when you pick up the fire extinguisher it works for you...

Edited by Tricia

Phili, I don't agree. For some people there really is very little worse than living with OCD - even my doctor has said that. I find comments like, "We only continue to suffer because we give up" very, very upsetting. A friend of mine was in a hospital with a 92-year-old lady with severe OCD, She had survived the horrors of a Nazi death camp. It's a pity she isn't able to write on here. It would change a few people's minds...

How I agree, Daisy. I have watched dear friends who 'bought' into every single damn thing they were told to do. Who persevered for decades and never gave up, who remained so positive to the ends of their lives...How dare anyone judge in this way!

Is there any other condition where people (even those who suffer it) judges so harshly?!!!

Stu, People from the UK used to be able to ask for help in Switzerland if their mental health condition was long standing and had not responded to any treatment, but I think, due to pressure, they have tightened up on that. You are right about the world being seriously messed up.

So you think because we have OCD we should all lay down and die? No one said life is easy, it is hard for everyone but giving up doesn't do any good nor does encouraging people to give up because there life is hard. Maybe because I have health OCD I have a greater appreciation of life, I don't know but life is precious and it is hard and it is suffering but wont get any better by rolling over and kicking the bucket. Just because you don't respond to treatment doesn't mean you never will. We do only continue to suffer because we give up, because giving up is suffering, granted we suffer when we fight but at least in fighting we have a chance.

People who remain positive to the end of there days are the strong ones. We all have crosses, what right do we have to drop ours when so many others have and do keep carrying theres.

Every individual should have the right to say if his or her life is too much. No one has the right to judge another's pain .

That is all I am saying.

However, you do contradict yourself when you say we only continue to suffer when we give up. If only that were true!

Edited by Tricia
Guest sophie13

Your post is so... negative... I know yo suffer, so do I. It's hard, it is so hard but I hope one day it will get better... but somehow I think we should look for ways of making us feel better, not ending it... I remember I happy I was before my relapse, I I was telling myself life was beautiful. I want to get back there, not end it... I tried several therapists, several drogs in the past until I found a good one and the good treatement, but I've got it.

Don't give up, look for another one :-)

Every individual should have the right to say if his or her life is too much. No one has the right to judge another's pain .

That is all I am saying.

But I also have a right to disagree with that, giving up doesn't do any good and I wont encourage others to end there life.

Stu I don't want my messages to be misconstrued as insensitive. My only aim is to encourage you not to give up. Everyone suffers and I know that it is so hard but life is a fight and I know that at times it may not seem worth it and maybe things will never improve but there is just as good a chance that they will and if you are not around then how will you know. I may not be able to convince you, but I know the horror and pain and despair of this illness and there is no rainbow for me either but from someone who is suffering now not who is cured or is responding to treatment or even coping I still want to give you the message of don't give up.

Guest heartplace

Suffering? Suffering. Billions of people on this Earth suffer far worse lives than we do, children, babies, women, men. OCD is by no means the worse cross to bare, even as illnesses go. We only continue to suffer because we give up. OCD can be treated, maybe there will be a cure, maybe there will not. Life was not built for ease. Life is hard because it has moments worth living, death is easy because it does not. Everyone has pain in there life, everyone has suffering, all suffering is relevant, it just comes in different kinds but there are people I would not trade places with.

I have had nearly every kind of OCD possible at some point, right now it is so bad I'm afraid to move. It is suffering but it is my suffering and everyone has there own. It is not the weight of the cross we carry, it is how we bare it. You talk as if there is no hope, well if you are dead there really isn't. OCD is a lifelong battle, maybe it will never improve, maybe it will, but if you are not around then you will never find out. I wont give my opion on euthanasia in mental illness, this is not the place. Stop looking for the fire exit and pick up the extinguisher, you may struggle to work out how to use it but at least with it there is a chance, outside the exit is a 100 foot drop and no chance at all.

Phili; OCD causes a significant amount of suffering. We do suffer and it's not necessarily our own faults.

Tricia; As long as there is hope, I really don't think death should be an option. I don't care if it's physical, mental or emotional.

Edited by heartplace

Hmm, I think I just clocked onto something, what I said 'we only continue to suffer because we give up' I did not mean that it is out fault that we suffer because we have given up, I mean that we suffer more when we give up, Oh dear, I think that may have been a very poor choice of words. I do apologize.

Heartplace, you wrote: "Tricia; As long as there is hope, I really don't think death should be an option. I don't care if it's physical, mental or emotional."

This really isn't the place to debate euthanasia. However, Stu had the right to express his views. I was shocked by certain statements of two people who replied (which had nothing to do with death, but appeared to say we suffer by choice, or at least the solution is in our hands). But, again, every person's life is his or hers to lead or end as he or she feels fit and only an individual knows whether the pain is tolerable.

I am not one who advocates jumping off a cliff at the first opportunity and have actually been pleading with a friend not to take her life for almost 12 years now. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing...Even Desmond Tutu said if a person is in too much pain it's OK to throw in the towel.

Edited by Tricia

Heartplace, you wrote: "Tricia; As long as there is hope, I really don't think death should be an option. I don't care if it's physical, mental or emotional."

This really isn't the place to debate euthanasia. However, Stu had the right to express his views. I was shocked by certain statements of two people who replied (which had nothing to do with death, but appeared to say we suffer by choice, or at least the solution is in our hands). But, again, every person's life is his or hers to lead or end as he or she feels fit and only an individual knows whether the pain is tolerable.

I am not one who advocates jumping off a cliff at the first opportunity and have actually been pleading with a friend not to take her life for almost 12 years now. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing...

That is not what I meant at all, we do not suffer by choice, OCD is an illness not a choice we are all suffering through no fault of out own but really if there is a solution it is in keep trying just like with everything else.

Phil, by saying "We only continue to suffer because we give up" is as good as saying we have a choice, because we certainly can choose whether to give up or carry on fighting.

I think this is an extremely tricky subject and I can see both sides here.

On the one hand I am a big believer in personal choice and nobody should have that right taken away from them. I don't believe anyone should be forced to live in intolerable circumstances.

However, I suppose the danger with OCD - or any illness which is not terminal - is that you never know if that person could have turned a corner and found a solution. I am not saying everyone with OCD will get better if they just "try harder" or whatever. I know many have tried for years and found no joy. But there are others who are thinnking of giving up who could perhaps get better, with a different therapist, or a better understanding. It would be incredibly tragic if such a person committed suicide when there could have been a solution. I think that is what people are generally trying to discourage.