My self-centered ocd

One thing that I keep hearing a lot is that many people obsessions revolve around other people. Like fear of molesting kids or feel of killing other people. but mine always seems to revolve around me the thought of me getting ill. This seems to in part be connected with my hypochondria.

I know that ocd thrives on fear , guilt and doubt but in my case guilt cannot be a factor in my ocd . So whats going on is it that I just don't really care that much about other people or that I have come to see myself as a victim.

I hate to admit it but I do think that I don't really feel that much for others except when they are in a position I can understand like some of the people on this forum. I know also that ocd goes against the value's of its sufferer which would hold true in my case.

Edited by highlight

Nothing unusual about your theme of OCD. Some people with contamination OCD are only concerned about other people getting ill, while some are only concerned about themselves. OCD is multi-faceted. It comes in all forms.

Guest jayjay89

I've only really ever been worried about myself getting sick (contamination OCD), I've even fed my brother food that I was fairly certain was off and wasn't concerned lol. OCD is what it is. Whatever it is!

You might not feel that much about others. That`s why your ocd focuses you and your fear, probably your death also. In my case (I care more about others) it focuses more about them. If I would be like you, I guess my ocd would also focus on me. So, lol

I've only really ever been worried about myself getting sick (contamination OCD), I've even fed my brother food that I was fairly certain was off and wasn't concerned lol. OCD is what it is. Whatever it is!

Seems really similar to my OCD I have do the same things and actually get some comfort from them. While not caring about the other person...

Guest jayjay89

I used to think that proved it wasn't OCD, or it proved that I was selfish, or it proved that I was a bad person etc. The funny thing is, I used to get distressed about not caring about other people (that was OCD trying to trick me!)

But now I can see that the only thing it proves is that my OCD is weird and has chosen to grip onto those thoughts only. Don't let it worry you or use it to make decisions about yourself, it is still just regular old OCD, you can treat it with CBT and it means nothing about you :)