Omg my uncle just come in my house saying he had been sick and my mum started talking about norovirus. I'm really freeking out that I might catch something now can't stop thinking about it. The thought of being sick scares me so much :( I feel scared to eat now and I'm supposed to be going out during the day tomorrow but now feel like cancelling incase I'm sick. He was literally in the house for 2 mins but now I'm scared I'll catch something. What can I do help :(

You might get sick. That's the risk you face. There's not a thing you can do about it. You either get sick or you don't. What you can control is your response to the situation. You can refuse to give in to OCD and carry on with your life as normal as you can without performing needless and unnecessary compulsions.

Don't say that I can't get sick it honestly to me is like the worst thing I live my life avoiding it :( I keep telling myself certain people are more prone to tummy bugs which is reassuring myself a bit but I can't stop the anxiety :(

I Also suffer from emetiphobia chances are you will not get sick especially if he was only in the house for a short while. Norovirus does not often spread through the air. You get it from surfaces he touched or direct contact.

Guest nicolam381318

Unfortunately, there's a lot of it going around at the moment but I suppose we have to look at it as exposure. I can't really give any sensible advice (I'm supposed to be going to the theatre tomorrow night with someone who's son has had a sickness bug today and I'm terrified) but I do completely understand how distressed you feel. I do exactly the same things as you. I can't eat, sleep or even basically function when I'm in the throws of panic but we really are going to have to be strong if we want to get over this. Maybe we can try and do something together. If you face your fears and go out tomorrow, I will face mine and meet my friend at the theatre? I can't describe how horrified I am at the thought of it (it'll be 36 hours after she was exposed, peak time for showing symptoms). This will be massive exposure for both of us but we will have a right to be exceedingly pleased with ourselves if we can do it. What do you think?

Guest nicolam381318

I've keep telling myself that, Liz. Stomach bugs last a few hours, OCD is continual suffering. It doesn't make sense to waste all the good days for the sake of a few bad hours every now and again. I really struggle to understand why my brain can't accept this!

Guest lizinlondon

That is OCD for you, it is an irrational fear. Try not to perform any compulsions and your brain will get the message that there is no need to feel fear. It just takes alot of time and repetition (training) for the brain to stop over-reacting to triggers. I am by no means cured but am working towards it.

I feel for you - I'm the same. I wish I could accept that it's better to be ill for a day or two than have my life ruined by the fear. I know how hard it is. As people have said already, we need to carry on as if we're not bothered. Try and live our lives and the anxiety should gradually go.

Guest nicolam381318

How did you get on today, Mrs. brown? I've just got back from the theatre ("Wicked") and I loved every minute of it. It was a touring production but they still made Elphaba fly during "Defying Gravity" which absolutely made the West End production for me. I'm so glad I went. Hope everything went OK for you today too! :-)

I'm glad you enjoyed your day out I've heard wicked is great! Well done for going! :) yeh my day was good thanks i did think I felt sick a few times tho but I think it was just in my head and it did pass haha!