What do you like about yourself?

Guest Stuey

Ok, my call to arms seems to have failed, or maybe there just aren't that many sufferers compared to OCD or maybe there are but don't want to talk or don't know, which I can understand. Either way it's pretty disheartening because it's a very lonely illness.

Well, will try something else, am sure this has already been tryed. Just wondered what anyone suffering from BDD likes about themselves? Their physical selves or their personalities, either's fine.

I'll start I guess, I like my eyes, they're quite nice. I like my hair when I can make it down to the Hairdressers and get a trim. I like my hands although they're quite long and slender. Have been told by a doc that this is arachnoidism or some such, spider-like I think! Prefer to think of them as pianists hands, will get myself a children's piano and sit on the floor, like Schroeder, and play Moonlight Sonata I think.

Personality, that's tough, OCD and med combinations mean I'm pretty all over the place sometimes. I guess, if anything, I'm a good listener, if you catch me in a listening mood, and non-judgemental and tolerant. They're probs the only good things to have developed out of all of this **** and seems to be a trait on all the forums in general, guess having OCD makes you re-think your attitudes on a lot of things really, often for the better.

Hope someone feels like answering, am not trying to be pushy, just some convo would be good right now and something positive I suppose.

Hey Stuey,

Well done for having some positives to list. I went on a course recently - about getting back to work and we had to list 20 things we liked about ourselves - 20 the other way was easy - but once we'd got over the feeling that we were being show-offs, it was amazing what things we did like.

I hope you can get to see and believe your good points - OCD is very good at ripping out your self esteem - but we all have something we can be proud of.

Take care

whitebeam

Guest SallyB

Stuey,

What a good idea! I am struggling with myself at the moment - and can't look in the mirror! However, if really pushed I would say that I like my hands. I've more or less managed to stop biting my nails over the past few weeks and they look ok!

Personalitywise I like the fact that I have a sense of humour and will talk to anyone. I have met some fascinating people whilst waiting for a train, or sitting on a bus and often I will learn something or go away with some sunshine in my heart.

Sally

Guest Stuey

Thanks for the replies guys, it's made me :original:

Hope your new found confidence and belief finds you a great job that you like Whitebeam, am sure it will!

And Sally, I'm glad you have room in your life for some positives too, am sure their are plenty, plenty more. Bet you've cheered a few people up immensly, journeys can be pretty lonely at times. You've leant me some of your sunshine with your reply anyway. Thanks a million :clapping:

I've more or less managed to stop biting my nails over the past few weeks and they look ok!

Well done, Sally; I wish I could achieve this. Mine are worse than they've ever been at the moment :blushing: . Did you do anything to help yourself or was it pure will-power??

Guest SallyB

WB,

Nothing really - although being off work and not constantly taking offer stickers off books helps! Also keeping my hands busy with pointless sewing (I'm doing a tapestry!). Having said that I have noticed that when I drink too much I tend to bite them all - don't know why that is!

Also I have been rubbing my eyebrow which is a really bad habit and means that I don't have much there - I find a bit that "feels wrong" and then worry away at it! Maybe I'd be better with bitten nails!!

I went to the hairdressers today which is hard with all the looking in the mirror - luckily I am extremely short-sighted so I can't see for most of the time - but when they show you what they've done I just rush them as I want to get away from the mirror! At least I don't look like a bad cross between Ann Widdecome and Ken Dodd anymore!

Sally

I bet your new hairdo is great - hope you're happy with it.

Well done for getting into town and getting your hair done - especially since you find looking in the mirror difficult.

I find I bite my nails more when I've had a drink or three :blushing: The rest of the time, I don't know when I bite them - I guess it's just a very ingrained habit - I've bitten them since I was about 6.

I have been thinking of buying The Habit Changing Workbook - I don't think that's the right title but it's something like that. That might help.

Anyway, well done again. Have a nice evening - I'm just off running :original:

whitebeam

Guest Stuey

Hey Dan,

First off, congrats on feeling good fully clothed, this is, after all, when you're seen 95% of the time.

Secondly, how about thinking of yourself as 'wiry' or 'light on your feet'. Have read a couple of your posts and I understand that you worry a great deal about hitting out. Have you thought of channeling your energy and quick physique into a sport, could be boxing, great for cardio exercise, balance, strength training and as a relaxation aid. Could be football, maybe you'd make a great winger. You'll improve your fitness and you'll get some endorphines going which will help your OCD or at least the accompanying anxiety.

Thanks for replying and good luck mate,

Stu,

Edited by Stuey
Guest SallyB

I went clothes shopping yesterday (urgh!) - hate it! However, really didn't like the look of myself in the mirror as I've put weight on since I've been off work and have decided to do some exercise. Just bought myself an exercise video and am starting next week! I think exercise does make you feel better - both in your mind and as your body gets fitter. Maybe we should keep each other updated on progress, dan!

Sally

Guest Stuey

No probs Stonelizard, thanks for replying.

My arms bulk up too quite quickly if I exercise, but if you're lifting weights and this has what's increased your arm size make sure you work on your lower body too so that it can take the stress of your upper body. Leg extensions are useless, and quadricep exercises will obviously only build your quads. A great exercise is a barbell squat (which I'd advise you to learn properly at a gym if you belong to one), this exercise will build up and tone your upper back, gluteals, quadriceps, hamstrings and lower back. As well as adding some definition to your legs it's invaluable if you play football or rugby or do any kind of cardio activity at all as it helps prevent injury by strengthening your muscles. You may already know all this so I'm sorry if it's useless information.

Stu,

• 4 months later...
Guest millicentbystander

hiya

i dont have BDD but i do really dislike myself in every way. but trying to think on a positive note i think i have nice teeth. well people tell me so. the problem is you can never see them because i never smile.

Woe is me! :lol:

Mills

p.s your thread has made me smile, thanks Stuey x

• 7 months later...
Guest anonymous1

My eyes are very beautiful and I'm not being vein because they are, my eyes are very - very beautiful. My family on my Moms side, are all Jewish and I inherited some of the Asian blood and on my Dads side is Italian blood, so I inherited almond shaped, dark eyes with really long eyelashes. It is my "only" good feature, but at least I can say I have one :biggrin:

Edited by anonymous1
Guest scaredd
Ok, my call to arms seems to have failed, or maybe there just aren't that many sufferers compared to OCD or maybe there are but don't want to talk or don't know, which I can understand. Either way it's pretty disheartening because it's a very lonely illness.

Well, will try something else, am sure this has already been tryed. Just wondered what anyone suffering from BDD likes about themselves? Their physical selves or their personalities, either's fine.

I'll start I guess, I like my eyes, they're quite nice. I like my hair when I can make it down to the Hairdressers and get a trim. I like my hands although they're quite long and slender. Have been told by a doc that this is arachnoidism or some such, spider-like I think! Prefer to think of them as pianists hands, will get myself a children's piano and sit on the floor, like Schroeder, and play Moonlight Sonata I think.

Personality, that's tough, OCD and med combinations mean I'm pretty all over the place sometimes. I guess, if anything, I'm a good listener, if you catch me in a listening mood, and non-judgemental and tolerant. They're probs the only good things to have developed out of all of this **** and seems to be a trait on all the forums in general, guess having OCD makes you re-think your attitudes on a lot of things really, often for the better.

Hope someone feels like answering, am not trying to be pushy, just some convo would be good right now and something positive I suppose.

I really only have a problem with my face and knees but the rest of me i can handle

• 5 weeks later...

I have big eyes, long red hair and generally a beautiful face, I've been told. Also, I like my big shoulders which make my waist look quite small. I am hour glass shape and have nice slim ankles and petite feet. I think I look OK with clothes on but starkers or in underwear I hate my fat hips and hanging stomach. I sometimes see myself as I am in the mirror and other times I think I look huge. I once said to a friend that I wanted to lose weight. Her reply: God, if I was as fat as you, I'd kill myself. Meaning: I was already thin.

Somebody mentioned they bite nails when drunk. I used to do that, too. Wonder why?

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't say I have BDD, and if I do it's only a minor case. Like many, I can list endless things I don't like about myself, but I am determined to find things I do like! Sadly, when I find things I do like they're actually accompanied by faults. Like, I like the shape of my eyes, but on the whole they're just too small. Or I like the shape of my nose, but my skin just makes it look terrible. So yeah, they're my two likes I guess, it's a shame I find them overshadowed :dry:.

• 1 month later...

I don't think that physically I like anything about myself. I would descibe myself as plain with horrible skin. Emotionally I know I am a hood listener, I always try to help and support others, I like to make people happy x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest melissahp

I'm not entirely sure if I have BDD, I do hate lots a lot of the time. I guess I like my eyes, and smile, I like my height, and overall I guess my body shape could be much worse but what I kinda like about myself is that I'm empathetic, and a good friend.. I love being around and with people and thats quite strange because it contradicts my social anxiety that I was told I have... I still love being with friends and I can talk for hours...

Thats actually my problem! haha I'm so normal on the outside most of the **** goes on inside my head and no one knows!!!! Its good i suppose :)

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am an empathic listener. I have courage. I am happy with my weight. I have a good sense of humour. I am a survivor. x thanks, its really good to do positive affirmations.

• 5 years later...

Here's a massive, Historical Bumpity Bump up!

I like my lips too. They are full, like Elvis' and they compliment my cheekbones, that is when I haven't been drinking and been exercising for six months, otherwise I look like a plump Steven Tyler; say the caterers were super lazy and all through touring, they lived off Pukka Pies! 'Yep, I did eat them all and they were bloody lovely thank you ladies and gents!'

And therefore, I once again ask, what is it about you, physically or personally, that makes you smile? A smile is a fantastic place to start! It's Great to smile, a smile is always the most attractive item that you can wear, so wear it often and wear it well guys. Well, which of your features makes you beam? You're have to be allowed to be proud, even if your life is woeful at the present time and my thoughts go out to, in fact, all the more reason to do so if you can. It may not always work, but when it does, it's incredibly joyful!

Come On Then Peeps,

Peace and Love, Stu :original: :p :original:

Anyone? :lol:

I'm looking for positive affirmations in abundance; a happiness even in a world of stress and emotional turmoil. What are your strengths? What makes you fantastic? Do you have a big heart? How about a splendid sense of humour? A nice bum or a handsome eyebrow raise? There's a popular and similar post in the main OCD forum and peeps are using it and that's fantastic because it's a superb topic and I wanted to extend this so that we all recognise something beautiful in our person which makes us smile and It's such a broad ranging question. Which attributes do we hold dear, our own concepts of individuality and what we admire about ourselves, the emotional, physical and psychological qualities that make each and every one of us here on OCD.UK an individual.

It shouldn't be however it's usually other people that observe and and remark on our fantastic traits and we ourselves fail to see what we are; how we inspire and nourish and this is all so true of us poorly heads, living in the foggy world of anxiety and self-doubt which surrounds us, it's so sad. So let's be our own best friends. Big yourselves up guys!!! :original:

Oh Bloody Hell, I wrote something just now which conveyed everything that I wanted to say and it's bloody gone for some reason. Argh! I'm so tired however and I must go to bed, the above is a mere confusion of my vision. I shall return tomorrow if anyone at all sees this, Lol! (I don't know who too, my neighbours will think that I have finally cracked). Maybe I will summon up the courage to post something in the main OCD Forum, where it will garner more views!

Peace be with you all, :original:

• 3 weeks later...