Frustration reintegrating into the rest of the world.

Guest nervous

Guest nervous

I am struggling lately, my family and I have moved recently to be closer to the school I will be attending in September. The success I have achieved this year in pushing OCD back has made this possible, however I am stuck between being better than I was and not quite the same as everyone else. Moving to a new house has been a huge leap forward and I am doing great with it however with success comes being a part of society again and peoples expectations that I am now "cured" and even though I am feel I am doing great to everyone else I just look like this lazy guy. Everyone around me is very work ethic focused and I was years ago as well but I haven't left house much for a couple years let alone worked. I know I will start my course soon but in the mean time I am struggling to not get depressed because I feel everyone thinks I am a lazy burden on society.

I

This has little to do with what other people think and everything to do with your own self talk. You can change your self talk over time, making positive statements to yourself and ignoring the negative ones that come up. People don't think you're lazy and a burden. You think people think that. Big difference. And besides, what other people think of you pales in comparison to your own self image, which can change over time.

Guest nervous

Well my wife does make it known that I need to do more but I guess she loves me anyway. I suppose you are right that what I feel about myself is the important thing, unfortunately it seems all too easy to be swayed by others impressions. I do have to work on my self impression when around people. Today I went to a big family social event with lots of people I didn't know, which was like an OCD storm for me but it actually went pretty well, I still had some compulsions but not nearly as many as I thought I would have on the way there so I feel it was successful. I hope it increases my confidence for future events.

Guest nervous

it seems as my ocd gets better my other problems take over again and not long after the ocd comes back again. Another day and another big social event this is three in a row and this one should have been better but all this stress is really getting to me, I'm depressed, I hate myself, I don't want to be around anyone and eventually OCD comes roaring back I sat around at the dinner but I didn't eat anything, I had too many thoughts rolling around inside my head and I couldn't continue on any more I went and sat by myself. which of course made my wife unhappy because it was a party and I was supposed to be enjoying it. So I guess I am off to pretend some more, hopefully it is over soon.