How does treatment work for OCD patients with Aspergers Syndrome

Guest Aurora

I'm the mother of a 14 year old with diagnosis of AS. Currently he is suffering acute OCD symptoms including: compulsive touching of everything around him with feet and hands and horrible intrusive thoughts. He is on a dose of 3.75 ml fluoxetine daily which in his view is having a limited effect. We have been waiting around six weeks for CBT to commence during which time his OCD has remained acute. I'm told that the CBT will actively address the compulsive touching, gradually minimising this, but I don't understand how this works given that he can't even discuss his OCD and has a morbid fear of anything to do with OCD. I would like to offer any support to him that I can. Recently spoke to Mother on the National autistic Society parent to parent Helpline whose son suffered similar problems. In this case he was unable to take advantage of CBT due to his inability to discuss his OCD with anybody. Has anybody else encountered these problems? Thank you very much.

Guest lizinlondon

If you get a clinical psychologist alot of them have experience of autism. I would think that the person who treats your son, would have the correct experience. Make sure you question them about this when you meet them.