Ocd worse on medication?

Hi there

I've been taking amitriptyline prescribed by the psychiatrist for the ocd - not a usual drug but one that worked well for me in the past with the ocd when taking it for another problem. I'm gradually increasing the dose every month but am finding each time I up the meds I get some far more intensive ocd days than usual. Is this normal and does anyone else have any experience of this with the meds they are on? I'm struggling to cope more than usual on those days and am not sure what to do.

Thank you.

Edited by SaraJane

I felt terribly worse on Zoloft and after 4 days I had to quit.

However, many meds have a paradoxical effect of increasing symptoms in the first weeks of treatment and then these side effect subside once the med takes full effect.

Unfortunately as our minds and bodies adjust to new medications like these they can exacerbate symptoms for a period of time. Its frustrating and ironic to take a medication meant to alleviate something and have it increase it instead but its a well known phenomenon and in time you should adjust to it and find that it works to help you. Unfortunately with OCD meds patience is a common requirement.

I have a sertraline at home when I first tried it I got nasty (physical) side effects. These did go away if I persisted but later on I noticed it made me feel tired and dizzy. I have not taken any in a long while and know that If I do I will probably go though some of these side effects again. but the whole idea of mental side effects is what has me scared as I am recovering from a nasty patch as it is.