diarrhoea

Guest Duckfoot

Guest Duckfoot

Well i can't think of any way to say it except to just say it. Diarrhoea (spelling?) is still my biggest fear, and i have had a slight problem with taking immodium/loperamide tablets regularly JUST INCASE i get diarrhoea :blushing: I know this is not good for me, but i can't help it, i just can't face the prospect of it, especially as i now live with my partener and have some MAJOR issues with 'going to the toilet' when he is in the house.

I'd like to stop being so reliant on immodium etc. but my problem is knowing sort of, what is normal. Like when is it acceptable to take them and when is it not?

I guess i have no idea what a 'normal' person would do..

This is really the only thing i still struggle with on an every day basis :thumbdown:

any help/input from you guys would be greatly appreciated, you have no idea how embarassed i am about admitting this!

nim

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jennikat

I do know what you mean - if I get those stomach cramps when you're either constipated or about to have diarrhoea, and I'm going out, I'll sometimes take an imodium just so *if* it's diarrhoea, it won't bother me while I'm out.

However, at all other times, I only take them when I've already 'been' to the toilet once - as it says on the instructions.

Sometimes I don't take any.

I know it's disgusting, but it's a fact of life, and it's normally telling you something - I only really get it when I've eaten too much sugar or too much fat.

Hope this helps :)

Hi nim :)

I, too, have big problems with going to the loo and use far too much loo roll for fear of not being "completely clean" after using the loo, especially after doing a number two :blushing:

As you've said yourself, taking the tablets frequently isn't good for you.......I have to admit I've never taken Immodium and am not completely sure what it is! Is it like Alka-Seltzer, ie to settle your stomach?

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about having diarrhoea that you're afraid of?

Guest Jennikat
Hi nim :)

I, too, have big problems with going to the loo and use far too much loo roll for fear of not being "completely clean" after using the loo, especially after doing a number two :blushing:

As you've said yourself, taking the tablets frequently isn't good for you.......I have to admit I've never taken Immodium and am not completely sure what it is! Is it like Alka-Seltzer, ie to settle your stomach?

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about having diarrhoea that you're afraid of?

Imodium stops diarrhoea. :)

I'm guessing if you take it when you don't need to, you get constipated.

I not like usin the loo when people in the house incase i fart and they hear it.

But when it comes down to it every one at some point will 'squirt through the eye of a needle', It a fact of life, it is hard to let go of fears or complexities, but your partner will understand as your partner will no doubt be in the same scenario at some point

Guest legend

trouble is, it can be a viscious circle, because when your anxious, you get an upset tummy....

personally, id try to be brave and stand up to it, and out of interest, is too much immodium harmful in long term

usage /

legend

Guest charlie75

Hi nim,

I was just wondering if your doctor has prescribed the loperamide?

I take loperamide every single night without fail, and have done for about the last 4 years. My doc gives me a repeat prescription and Say's its a very low dose so wont do much harm. But I also worry about the long term affects.

I haven't actually admitted it's due to ocd, which is not so good.

I have sort of the same worry as you, but I don't like going to the toilet at all! I don't even worry really about diarrhea, it's purely having to go. I try not to eat very much to control this, and allow myself one day of eating what I like. But 6 days out of 7 I control how much I eat and take loperamide 2 a night.

Why don't you chose a day when you know your partner will be out and you don't have to go out and not take the loperamide? You will see that you won't have diarrhea and maybe that will build your confidence up to maybe not taking it for two days, or not taking it when your partner is there. Maybe give your body a break from it. Although as long as you aren't taking over a prescribed dose I don't think it is going to cause any harm. The gp's wouldn't prescribe it long term if they did.

I really empathize, this form of ocd ruins my life daily. I would love to get rid of it. I know you said you were embarrassed about admitting it but I have spoken to people on here and read lots of threads of very similar problems. I think it's a really common fear.

Guest Bobby Digital

Hey I have a similar worry to yours. Before doing sport I need to do a number 2 before I leave the house, when I arrive at the club and right before the match. I always need to do a number 2 before I leave the house for anything. (Actually put all those in past tense).

I found a simple way to stop doing this. I try to do a number 2 before I leave the house before sports, and thats it. I may also do one other during the day if I need to, but thats it. My sister does medicine and says that you should need to go max twice a day. I used to also take immodium. I suggest from now on to limit the amount of times you go to the toilet, and only take immodium if you actually had diarrhea. I'll type more later when I've thought more about how I got over it...

Guest Duckfoot

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your replies, i haven't been online for a while as i've had chickenpox :(

I had a good long think about it and a talk with my sister who has a similar fear to me and since writing the thread i have only taken 1 immodium tablet, which is a great improvement but still not too great as a bigger achievement would be having taken none.. i have been off work with the chickenpox and while the worry was still always there, i didn't feel the need to take anything.. that was until this morning, back to work and suddenly i'm worrying so took one 'just incase' :dry:

I'm going to take on board everything you guys have said, hopefully i'll get there one day.. maybe..

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Duckfoot

:wallbash:

So annoyed with myself at the minute..

Ok so part of my fear from having diarrhea is derived from the fact that i have ibs, all be it quite mild but still. anyway, i decided to look up a forum (i know i know i KNOW i shouldn't have) and like with all reassurance i felt great at first 'yay i'm no where near as bad as these guys i shouldn't be worrying at all!' and then BAM.. "but WHAT IF one day i end up this bad?!"

I KNOW i shouldn't have looked, stupid me stupid ibs stupid ocd im just so ****** off right now! I should be counting my blessings that yes my ocd WAS getting alot better and that my ibs is NOWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS SOME but as usual the OCD has LATCHED and refuses to let go.

Gotta get myself out of the worrying anxious pit though becuase it'll only cause me more damn problems..

sorry for the rant, i just had to vent :blowup:

Guest Duckfoot

Just a tiny update

obviously as part of this fear i avoid anything which may.. er.. make me 'ill' so to speak.. well this week on wednesday me and my boyfriend are going to my mam and dad's, and have already been forwarned that we will be having indian food.. this didn't bother me TOO much coz i thought oh well i'll just stick to something mild and i should be fine, i've eaten from this restaurant many times in the past and the chef is a friend of my dad so i trust the food from there.

However, on friday it's the work 'summer do' and surprise surprise we're off to an indian restaurant then too!! Don't trust new restaurants at the best of times but crikey too indians in 3 days and probably quite a bit of the ol' wine on both days too! NOT looking forward to it! :blushing:

Guest Jennikat

You've done fantastically well in facing the fear

I think you should make yourself a challenge to ONLY take an imodium if you have a 'loose' movement. I'm sure you will be fine :)

Good luck :)

Guest Duckfoot

Thanks jennikat, i know deep down that you're right i just can't help thinking the old 'preventions always better than cure' :blushing:

I think i'll have to try, i don't want to spend the rest of my life in fear of this, it's just taking that first step.. that so called leap of faith!

nim xx

Guest Jennikat

Aha, but 'prevention is better than cure' is only true for things where the prevention is perfectly fine to do regularly, at least that's what I think. And diarrhoea isn't *that* bad :)

I make sure I ALWAYS have a box of wipes in my bathroom just in case :)

Let us know how it goes :)

Guest Duckfoot

Thanks jennikat :)

well i haven't taken any immodium since saturday, i went to the meal with my parents yesterday and everything went ok, it was a good laugh :)

Struggling a bit today though, feel quite naueous and am starting to panic a bit coz usually i would have taken something by now *just incase*

I'm trying to stay calm though and not worry.. it's hard :blushing:

Guest supergirly

Hi Nim,

I used to take immodium ALL the time a few years ago when I was really bad with OCD. I used to take it because of my fear of pooing in public toilets. I can't imagine it being that good for your digestive system or your liver taking it all the time. Also I'm sure it made me put loads of weight on (thats my story and I'm sticking to it, lol).

Do you know what foods trigger your IBS? If not you could keep a food diary then you would know what foods to avoid. Also being dehydrated can cause diahorrea so make sure you drink plenty of water.

I also used to have a problem pooing when I first moved in with my partner. I just told him about it and made sure there was music/t.v. on loud enough so that he couldn't hear anything.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Supergirly

Guest Duckfoot

Hi Supergirly :)

Thanks for your reply, it's nice to know i'm not the only one :)

I have an idea of a few things that trigger the ibs so i try my best to avoid them (the worst thing i think rather than being a food is cider, i just can't seem to stomach it lol)

The problem with my partener is also that we have no lock on our bathroom door (been mening to get a new door since we moved in but has had to slip down the list of prioritis after he lost his job :dry: )

and for some reason he thinks nothing of opening the door whenever i'm in the bathroom, well he did until i shouted at him for it once and now he at least knocks lol)

I know taking the immodium probably isn't good for me, especially since i have a grumbling appendix lol but it just seems so much easier then having to face the anxiety and the worry :blushing:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to stop taking immodium all the time?

Thanks

xx

Edited by Guest
Guest supergirly

I just went cold turkey one day and stopped taking it completely. I just thought 'if I get a bout of diahorrea I will take some but not a second before then'. Then from that I realised I didn't get diahorrea that much atall. Also I think I know myself when my stomach is upset and when I need to be not far from a toilet, which again isn't that often atall.

Poor you not being able to stomach cider! I love cider!

Guest Duckfoot

i used to too :( :lol: now i just tend to stick to rum and coke, if i'm honest i prefer it anyway it's just it's so much more expensive!

yeah i think thats what my plan of action is too, i haven't taken any since saturday and i don't intend to take any unless i actually get diarrhea.. hopefully i wont need to take them for a long long time!!

I'm just taking each day as it comes now, hopefully i'll be able to do this :blushing:

Guest legend

i think you should give yaself a pat on the back nim, youve done really well, and it takes a lot courage

to face up to the ocd, well done....... :original:

keep at it :boxing:

Guest Jennikat

Well done nim, that's fantastic :a1_cheesygrin:

Good luck for tomorrow's meal, I'm sure it will be fine, you can do it! :boxing:

Guest Duckfoot

Thanks Jennikat :a1_cheesygrin:

i woke up this morning feeling quite dodgy and sick, i was getting ready for work and the temptation to take immodium "just incase" was really strong because i felt so sick.

BUT i got myself ready for work, said bye to dave, left the house and just walked the 2 miles to the bus station for my connecting bus (i usually would get the bus from mine to here) it was a really lovely morning and i just focussed on the sun and how nice the day was and pretty soon i didn't feel sick at all anymore AND i'd resisted the immodium!!

Feeling quite proud of myself now, this time last week i would definately have taken it :blushing:

Quite looking forward to the meal this afternoon, i just hope i haven't jinxed myself!! :lol:

Guest legend
Thanks Jennikat :a1_cheesygrin:

i woke up this morning feeling quite dodgy and sick, i was getting ready for work and the temptation to take immodium "just incase" was really strong because i felt so sick.

BUT i got myself ready for work, said bye to dave, left the house and just walked the 2 miles to the bus station for my connecting bus (i usually would get the bus from mine to here) it was a really lovely morning and i just focussed on the sun and how nice the day was and pretty soon i didn't feel sick at all anymore AND i'd resisted the immodium!!

Feeling quite proud of myself now, this time last week i would definately have taken it :blushing:

Quite looking forward to the meal this afternoon, i just hope i haven't jinxed myself!! :lol:

:clapping: ....