Stress and ocd , the link is so strong and clear

We must all accept this , its so important

I take fluoxetine , which helps a lot but when there is too much going on in my life .....dad has Alzheimer's at the moment and the benefits agency are on my back .....I find the obsessive thoughts creep back as do my shopping compulsions

This may not be the case for everybody but its certainly true for many ....medical evidence by Dr Fred penzel and others back this up

So my point here, maybe to new posters is don't take your SSRI and do nothing , take an active role in stress and anxiety management and if things are getting too much say no or ask for help

It doesn't mean you are a failure if you need a bit more CBT or a higher dose of meds to see you through a rough patch

Best wishes

Frankie

Stress will exacerbate OCD definitely, and don't I know it.

Using learned stress and worry management techniques, and relaxation skills, help me greatly when stress comes a-calling.

We must all accept this , its so important

I take fluoxetine , which helps a lot but when there is too much going on in my life .....dad has Alzheimer's at the moment and the benefits agency are on my back .....I find the obsessive thoughts creep back as do my shopping compulsions

This may not be the case for everybody but its certainly true for many ....medical evidence by Dr Fred penzel and others back this up

So my point here, maybe to new posters is don't take your SSRI and do nothing , take an active role in stress and anxiety management and if things are getting too much say no or ask for help

It doesn't mean you are a failure if you need a bit more CBT or a higher dose of meds to see you through a rough patch

Best wishes

Frankie

I am not really sure what point you are trying to make here if I am honest. Life is stress, and there will always be stress in life, be it relationships, work, ill health etc and I don't think the answer is a quick hit of CBT or meds to get you through a bad patch, that really won't help in the long run.

A far better approach is tackle OCD head on at earliest convenience and if done right when life's stresses do hit us, like they hit everyone, there is no reason to think that A) the bulk of our OCD will come back or B) we will need a hit of meds of more CBT.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make here Ashley , if I am honest , I posted this up to try and help people understand the link between ocd and stress....widely accepted by the medical profession...... And if you want to dispute that I am all ears

I am not sure what point you are trying to make here Ashley , if I am honest , I posted this up to try and help people understand the link between ocd and stress....widely accepted by the medical profession...... And if you want to dispute that I am all ears

Sorry. I thought I was clear in my point, deal with OCD at earliest opportunity, so when stressful periods in life occur the impact on OCD is non-existent.

I am not disputing that stress makes OCD worse. I am sure your advice is well-meaning, but why tell people to wait until they are going through a stressful period to go back and ask for more CBT and meds, instead we should encourage people to seek help and support continually until they are in control of their OCD.

No , I didn't feel you were clear in your point and found it unnecessary to be honest

You have defeated your ocd in your own way , well done

You appear very anti medication , that's fine

But all available medical evidence by veale , penzel etc points to ocd being a chronic disorder that for many can rear its head up at times of stress

Penzel actually thinks ocd will always be a little part of all of us once we have it , you do not get cured , many people can go twenty years then have a bad patch and he and other experts suggest active stress management to keep things in balance

I tend to agree with them , you clearly run this site and I don't intend getting into an argument with you over medical facts

You appear very anti medication , that's fine

Never assume... you know what they say that does ;)

I am not anti-medication at all. I am very clear that some people will benefit from taking medication but what I am trying to do is get people to understand why they are taking meds and the reasons they need to take meds.

If they want to take meds to help them manage their anxiety, fine. If they are depressed and need meds, fine. If they want to take meds to take the edge of anxiety to make therapy easier, fine. But the point I am trying to make people understand is that taking meds on their own to treat and get rid of OCD is unlikely to happen and that's a wrong reason to take meds.

But all available medical evidence by veale , penzel etc points to ocd being a chronic disorder that for many can rear its head up at times of stress

I tend to agree with them , you clearly run this site and I don't intend getting into an argument with you over medical facts

I am not disputing that. I have said that a million times myself on here, and on the phones. The point I am making was about your advice to seek treatment when stressed. I am not saying it is wrong advice, but the point I was making was 'why wait until then?'.