Catastrophising - ocd or helpful strategy?

Hi,

I have developed a strategy for dealing with intrusive thoughts. I imagine the worst case scenario in relation to an ocd. Much of my ocd relates to work- I am a teacher.

I often doubt the judgements I make and in response I imagine the worst case scenario like losing my job over a poor judgement. This gives me comfort as it means only I have to face the consequences and nobody else will be affected by my inadequacies.

I also think that I will be more able to manage/handle terrible consequences if I am aware and prepare for them. Is this a good strategy or an ocd response? Xx

Interesting and tricky one - I think thinking the worst can definitely as you say be comforting and therefore not helpful for OCD - it prepares you for the worst case scenario should it happen both practically (if x happens I will do y), and emotionally (it's less of a shock if you have prepared for it). The big problem is is that you end up endlessly planning for hundreds of things that never actually do happen, and leave yourself in a constant state of anxiety. Better to train yourself to cope with the negative emotions so that you are always ready should the worst happen rather than planning for every possible specific incident that might turn bad. In practical terms you will probably arrive at the same solution to the problem whether or not you think about it in advance or once it's happened. However, there is a fine line between that and making yourself accept the worst as part of your recovery/exposure. In this case you want to accept the fear of the worst happening but without trying to 'plan' for what you would do if it did. In other words don't try to make yourself feel better by being prepared.

Thank you Franklin12.

This has clarified things for me. In particular the idea about training myself to cope with negative emotions makes perfect sense.

Thanks againx