Dry mouth side effects of medication , particularly clomipramine and fluoxetine, Biotene products

I went to an excellent support group in Cardiff yesterday and like me two of the people there get dry mouth from these meds , one like me was on fluoxetine, the other person , clomipramine

Apart from trying to drink less tea and coffee and chew sugar free gum the advice my dentist gave me was to drink lots of water , a good thing for your health generally but also to use Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash , its more expensive than normal toothpaste and your local chemist may have to order it

Very interesting I am on Fluoxetine and found I seem to have a dry mouth, in fact I mentioned it to my doctor wondering about Diabetes. I have a blood test booked as a precaution, hopefully it will be clear for Diabetes, but I will certainly mention it to him as a possibility.

Thank you for raising it. :original:

Guest OCD_Est.1982

Both these drugs are old types of medication that are known for side effects including dry mouth. Newer medications don't have as many side effects such as this. I currently take 300mg of Sertraline daily with no side effects. I have taken the two drugs you mentioned many years ago and suffered with dry mouth and also increased sweating, plus constipation. Hence why I no longer take them. Word of warning though. Take your dentists advice because dry mouth causes increased tooth decay, as I found out to my cost both physically and financially!

Guest OCD_Est.1982

300 mg sertraline ! .......wow

Yep. I take all three 100mg tablets and the three 100mg capsules of Pregabalin at breakfast and no side effects, although you do have to have a few ECG checks for the first couple of months to make sure your 'ticker' isn't affected.