The POSITIVE side of OCD

Guest heartplace

Guest heartplace

Did you know that we...

1. Have a higher level of determination

2. Have a naturally good memory and...

3. Are twice as likely to be compelled to learn new things as other people are?

Just thought I'd point that out!

Yes "heartplace" you told correctly..........we are very talented and have good patience.........Just the direction or the way we think must be changed.......thats it...If that is possible we can do anything and everything........

Guest heartplace

Aw I like that, thanks :)

I do too! You're welcome :)

OCD can be a very negative thing don't get me wrong, but we have advantages too and it can occasionally turn out to be positive. It depends on what you make of your situation. I think I baffle people with my memory sometimes...it's nothing new to me but when I vividly recall something I leave people kind of speechless (or on the flip side, they think I'm being smart with them and might take offense :p)

I like this post! :) I agree, in a way you are getting an opportunity to become stronger than most people out there, you carry on living your life despite this horrible bully, non ocd sufferers would not have a clue!!

No matter how much of a nasty evil bully it is, we are all stronger than it,

Guest AnnieX

It's hell - there's no doubting that.

But we are the most understanding, supportive , trustworthy, hard working, conscientious people.

Unless someone on here tells me different! Which I would be interested to know.

So I'm with "heartplace" on this!

I guess it all depends on how we look at things.....our perspective . Doesnt it . If we have ocd, we might as well pull out some positives. :)

I think that it has definately shaped my life and in a weird way given me a much more meaningful life . If i didnt have ocd i would have been more interested in the run of the mill bog standard stuff in life.

But i think having ocd has made me care about others more, try to take the time to understand other and their pain more and try to do something to help others with my life more. I really dont think i would have cared about others as much as i do, if i didnt have ocd.

In a crazy way it has also taken me to places and given me more opportunities than i would have had otherwise and , as has also been said, i think it has given me more determination, and motivation ( thats others saying that about me.....not me )

I'm not saying its great to have ocd ....lets not fight it anymore.

I'm just saying ....lets pull the good things out of a horribly bad situation and look at something positively :)

Good thread and encouraging posts guys :)

I'm going to be that person :devil:

OCD can affect anyone....they can be lazy, unpleasant, a criminal type, not very bright, fat, thin, tall, short, intelligent....anything. OCD is an anxiety condition which anyone can suffer from.

But in that mix are people who are caring, disciplined, strong, creative etc.....and of course, all of those people we have right here on our forum :lol:

Guest heartplace

I can't think of anything positive about OCD. It's a painful, time wasting, debilitating disorder.

yeah I don't think there's a positive side either, it convinces you of things tht you might not have done.

There are no positives to having ocd.

OCD isn't fun to have, don't get me wrong. But for ones like me, it's something that isn't going to go away. So instead of wallowing in self-pity, what do I do? I try to maintain a positive outlook about it and live my life anyway. Again I hate what OCD does to me, but I like the strengths it gives me. I never meant to imply that OCD is a good thing.

That being said, it's not just OCD that is like this...look at people who have Bipolar Disorder, they tend to be more creative and have stronger artistic abilities than other people. And people with clinical depression tend to have a more realistic view of the world than people without it do. So instead of thinking how horrible your situation is, I'm encouraging people to play up on their strengths and work on their weaknesses.

Guest heartplace

I guess it all depends on how we look at things.....our perspective . Doesnt it . If we have ocd, we might as well pull out some positives. :)

I think that it has definately shaped my life and in a weird way given me a much more meaningful life . If i didnt have ocd i would have been more interested in the run of the mill bog standard stuff in life.

But i think having ocd has made me care about others more, try to take the time to understand other and their pain more and try to do something to help others with my life more. I really dont think i would have cared about others as much as i do, if i didnt have ocd.

In a crazy way it has also taken me to places and given me more opportunities than i would have had otherwise and , as has also been said, i think it has given me more determination, and motivation ( thats others saying that about me.....not me )

I'm not saying its great to have ocd ....lets not fight it anymore.

I'm just saying ....lets pull the good things out of a horribly bad situation and look at something positively :)

Good thread and encouraging posts guys :)

That's what I keep trying to explain to others! Perspective has a lot to do with how you're going to deal with something that is as horrible as OCD. I can't just let myself fall apart, I still have a life to live (and yes I have had depression because of OCD and wished I could die at some point!).

OCD seems to have made me a very ethical person, with good values, for example. I plan to stay this way. I know I'm not perfect, but I'm a firm believer in having good morals and values, especially ever since I found out I have OCD I think.

Edited by heartplace

OCD isn't fun to have, don't get me wrong. But for ones like me, it's something that isn't going to go away. So instead of wallowing in self-pity, what do I do? I try to maintain a positive outlook about it and live my life anyway. Again I hate what OCD does to me, but I like the strengths it gives me. I never meant to imply that OCD is a good thing.

That being said, it's not just OCD that is like this...look at people who have Bipolar Disorder, they tend to be more creative and have stronger artistic abilities than other people. And people with clinical depression tend to have a more realistic view of the world than people without it do. So instead of thinking how horrible your situation is, I'm encouraging people to play up on their strengths and work on their weaknesses.

I understand wherre you are coming from Heartplace.

I attended a college course entitled "positive thinking" . Ended up going for about 2 years in the end as i had to keep repeating it because i was struggling with the concepts they were teaching .

They weren't sort of "happy clappy" people running the course...... You know the type....with their heads in the sand pretending life is great.

They were people who knew life was ruddy difficult at times, but the concepts that they taught were in line with cbt , and what they taught was that its better to look for even the smallest positive elements in our difficult situations, because that helps us not to become as depressed and feel so helpless.

So they taught in line with what your saying above.

We kinda get 2 choices.....we can wallow in "poor me" life is crappy ....... Or we can say " poor me ....life is crappy......but i am thankful for the sunshine today , and .......so on ......"

You catch my drift.

They taught what you are saying, if we find the tiniest positive thing in a horrid situation it can lift our spirits a little . Which has to be a positive thing.

1 of our tutors really had her positivity tested as she taught the course because her husband died suddenly. We all watched shocked wondering how the hell she was going to carry on .......

She missed a couple of sessions understandably. Then she came into college stood in front of us with tears streaming down her face and told us of her husbands death. Then she walked over to the window .......pointed to the sun outside and said through her tears " but the sun is shining outside and it is a beautiful day, and i will keep reminding myself of that fact until the sun warms my pain right out of my bones "

Like i said in my post above .......its all about perspective and how we CHOOSE to see things

Guest heartplace

That's interesting, Eddy! I do agree you can either be all "oh poor pitiful me" or you can prevent OCD from beating you, and think about all the good things you DO have in your life.

OCD has hit me just as hard as anyone else on here. I absolutely hate it. In fact I've been having false memory problems these past few days and they had me really down for a bit. But the best thing a person can do is keep getting back up when they fall, that's basically what I'm saying. Don't stay lying on the ground! That'll get you nowhere. Get back up and keep moving despite the ****!

Guest heartplace

By the way, everything I have said about staying positive comes from personal experience. It takes patience, but a good outlook on your situation makes a world of difference in my experience.

Edited by heartplace
Guest legend

but the 3 original things you implied , arent actually true of all ocd sufferers

i have a terrible memory

and i have difficulty compelling myself to learn new things

That said, i have been ocd free for 8 years

Guest heartplace

but the 3 original things you implied , arent actually true of all ocd sufferers

i have a terrible memory

and i have difficulty compelling myself to learn new things

That said, i have been ocd free for 8 years

You're right, not all OCD sufferers are like that. But a lot of us are, and I just thought it would be nice for fellow sufferers to know.

Autistic people are often more intelligent than people without autism, but not every autistic person is this way either.

Edited by heartplace
Guest AnnieX

Well yet again I am irritated by another thread - what should have been a positive post is NOT.

Not wishing to take over your thread "heart" but want to agree with you......

I am trying to look for some positives because otherwise I might as well end it now. I am fighting for my job having disclosed my ocd, and am about to face my employer head on to advise on all the positive things about me, I was directed to ocd action who have a document positively enforcing employees with ocd . How can I use that when a number of people who are supposed to support us are saying there is no positives.

If you are saying criminals have ocd, then where's the line for those who have thoughts which are not good, oh yes we don't act, but what if we did , is that ocd gone wrong, or something else.

Some of us are sufferers and are genuinely nice people - it's all rubbish . Glad I didn't ask ocduk for help!

Yours extremely saddened and depressed,

A

Guest legend

positives to ocd no, but that doesnt mean that the person who is a sufferer doesnt have positive sides to there

personality, we all do.

What we are saying is that ocd can affect anyone, thats how sadly it is ,

now imagine if i was still suffering and i read the original post , and thought , hold on im none of them , how would that

make me feel ??

Im sure ocduk would love to help , i personally have assisted many people over the years via the charity , and via other

services.

I think youll also find that all professionals in the ocd field would agree, that sufferers dont act on there thoughts

they fear that they might.

Edited by legend
Guest Tricia

I agree with Legend and others who see no positives to OCD.

Memory is down to an individual. I do have a good memory but several of my friends with OCD admit they don't. Besides, having a good memory is not always positive.

As for determination and being more likely to do new things, again I don't connect either to OCD. Determination is frequently seen in those with an obsessional personality, but that is not OCD.

I personally agree that there are no positives to having ocd - other than that, like any illness or negative experience, the trial involved can make you a stronger person.

However I think that if others disagree, abd focusing on positives helps them to deal with this nasty illness, then that had to be a good thing.

Guest Tricia

It's hell - there's no doubting that.

But we are the most understanding, supportive , trustworthy, hard working, conscientious people.

So I'm with "heartplace" on this!

I agree with Caramoole, who said that people with OCD come with all characters.

Some say Hitler had OCD. Saddam Hussein definitely did. I am sure neither concerned himself about harming others, but they still had OCD. Those (with OCD) who fear they'll abuse another will never do so, but it doesn't mean everyone with OCD is hard working, sensitive and trustworthy. Some of the most decent people on Earth have OCD. Some of the worst do, too. And everything in between. One person I know with OCD could not tell a lie to save her life. Another never stops lying and is also a bully and a thief.

Edited by Tricia