World Cup 2014 - Forum Sweepstake

That global festival of football is upon us all over again. All that pleasure, then fun and probably for England that penalty heartache is here again and lets be honest, none of us would miss it for a moment!

So once again, the forum should be part of that with out own little competition, the 2014 OCD-UK World Cup Sweepstakes. Plus, maybe if you like the idea, you can take it and plan your own fundraiser for the charity at your place of work. If you do that, be sure to let us know so we can help you explain OCD to your colleagues.

Remember... You've got to be in it, to win it!

Now, I know what you are thinking..... <i>How does it work then Ashley?</i>, fret not my footballing fanatics I will tell you. Don't worry, no footballing knowledge needed, it is all down to the luck of the draw!

World Cup Trivia - Not needed, but just for the fun of it!

During the 18 tournaments that have been held, seven nations have won the title. Brazil have won the World Cup a record five times, and they are the only team to have played in every tournament. Italy, the current champions, have won four titles, and Germany are next with three titles. The other former champions are Uruguay, winners of the inaugural tournament, and Argentina, with two titles each. Current World Cup Champions Spain, and England and France all have one title each.

So what we need to do.

Firstly, we need 32 entrants, each paying £5 each for their entry. The £5 can be paid online through our own secure server or through paypal. Non-Members that take part will also be offered one months free access to the game arcade and chat room and an email version of our next members magazine.

Secondly, the sweepstake selection... I will have two pots and hold a day or two before the first game perhaps at one of the Support Groups I run so there are independent witnesses (just in case I draw the favourites). Pot one will have all the participating forum users names, pot two will have all the countries. Someone will draw one from each pot, this is then your selected country in this footballing extravaganza.

Assuming we have 32 entrants, the eventual winner will receive £30 whole English Pounds, plus a years membership to OCD-UK (or a year's extension if already a member) how good is that? :clapping:

The runner up will receive £20, plus 6 months free membership to OCD-UK.

The winner of the third place match off between the two losing semi-finalists gets nothing, nobody remembers that match for the big L for losers anyway :lol: ok, maybe a little something for the third place team, they receive £10 or 6 months free membership to OCD-UK.

This means that OCD-UK will receive £100 donation from your entries after prizes have been paid.

How to Enter

Firstly, send us your dosh, £5 worth to be precise! by making an online donation using our secure server by clicking here. On the first part of the donation form, where it says 'Notes / Information about the donation' make a note of your board username and that it is for the World Cup Sweepstake. If you forget, PM me with your real name so I can cross reference. If you want to pay via Paypal, send the £5 to paypal@ocduk.org along with the note about your forum username and what the donation is for.

If you prefer to send by cheque, that is fine too, just PM me to tell me you are doing so I will reserve your place. If the cheque is not received the day before the first match I will have to release your place though.

First come, first served.

So, these are the 2014 World Cup nations.

Group A

Brazil

Croatia

Mexico

Cameroon

Group B

Spain

Netherlands

Chile

Australia

Group C

Colombia

Greece

Ivory Coast

Japan

Group D

Uruguay

Costa Rica

England

Italy

Group E

Switzerland

Ecuador

France

Honduras

Group F

Argentina

Bosnia-Hercegovina

Iran

Nigeria

Group G

Germany

Portugal

Ghana

United States

Group H

Belgium

Algeria

Russia

South Korea

Sorry.. no space for Wales or Scotland :D

The Forum Footballing Sweepstake Participants

I will update this section every few days with the usernames of those participating.

1 - AJ45

2 - LauraMac

3 - Andrea

4 - OCDCanuck

5 - Taurean

6 - Grams88

7 - Gingerbreadgirl

8 - Carolj

9 - David (via Carolj)

10 - MrsF

11 - Preeti (trustee via Ashley)

12 - Itsnotmeitsmyocd

13 - Angel (Itsnotmeitsmyocd's dog!)

14 - Miranda123

15 - Mr Legend

16 - Mrs Legend

17 - Machiato

18 - Footygirl

19 - Kylie (trustee)

20 - Machiato's missus

21 - Catherine (trustee)

22 - Hal

23 - Justonce (OCD-UK employee)

24 - SophieM

25 - Debs (Therapist at ADRU) - Entry 1

26 - Vicky T (via Twitter)

27 - Debs (Therapist at ADRU) - Entry 2

28 - Mummyoftwogirls

29 - Mark H (via Mummyoftwogirls)

30 - dheuhff (trustee)

31 - Purple Piper

32 - Phili

(Note: I have indicated which of us are trustees/employees of the charity for conflict of interest declarations. All have paid the £5 out of our own pockets of course).

Chile - 23 - Justonce (OCD-UK employee)

Ecuador - 25 - Debs (Therapist at ADRU) - Entry 1

France - 27 - Debs (Therapist at ADRU) - Entry 2

Germany - 4 - OCDCanuck

Australia - 20 - Machiato's missus

South Korea - 18 - Footygirl

Spain - 14 - Miranda123

Nigeria - 29 - Mark H (via Mummyoftwogirls)

Ivory Coast - 24 - SophieM

Brazil - 16 - Mrs Legend

Bosnia - 22 - Hal

Switzerland - 10 - MrsF

Italy - 6 - Grams88

Mexico - 21 - Catherine (trustee)

Uruguay - 2 - LauraMac

Russia - 12 - Itsnotmeitsmyocd

Japan - 8 - Carolj

Holland - 7 - Gingerbreadgirl

United States - 9 - David (via Carolj)

Algeria - 3 - Andrea

Argentina - 31 - Purple Piper

Cameroon - 28 - Mummyoftwogirls

Portugal - 13 - Angel (Itsnotmeitsmyocd's dog!)

Ghana - 19 - Kylie (trustee)

Iran - 11 - Preeti (trustee via Ashley)

Colombia - 17 - Machiato

Greece - 32 - Phili

Belgium - 1 - AJ45

Croatia - 5 - Taurean

England - 15 - Mr Legend

Costa Rica - 26 - Vicky T (via Twitter)

Honduras - 30 - dheuhff (trustee)

Like this idea? Then why not do something similar with work colleagues and raise more money for the charity. If you work in a large company where people get paid lots of dosh, charge them a £10 per entry :whistling:

Once we get 32 entrants the competition is closed to new entrants I am afraid, so don't delay and get that donation in today. I will of course notify the forum once we get to the last couple of places left.

P.S. Anyone that refers to football as 'Soccer' is illegible!

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that IT'S THE WORLD CUP! Oh, dear, my poor soap operas (compulsive watcher of Hollyoaks and Corrie... I know, I'm so ashamed).

Guest AJ45

I'm sure I've been enduring a series of historic football matches being show on TV, but that's about it. Note to self - must buy appropriate flags for car and search out England T Shirt !!!!

lol there's no way it starts next week?! where is all the usual crazy publicity?!

England are not considered likely to get out of the group, so it's low key, which I think could work in their favour. I think if they win their first game then the world cup fever will go through the roof overnight.

I might maybe take part, it sounds like a fun way to raise money for ocd uk.

Does your team get picked randomly or do you need to pick which team you want to win?

Edited by grams88

I might maybe take part, it sounds like a fun way to raise money for ocd uk.

Does your team get picked randomly or do you need to pick which team you want to win?

It is a bit of fun Grams, so if your own team is knocked out early, gives you some interest in another team.. perhaps :) The draw is a random lottery, so we will draw the teams for people at random next week and post who gets which team on this thread :)

That's me got my one sorted by sending the 5 pounds, It's going to be fun and looking forward to the world cup, that means I might be following two teams at the same time. :D

Think I will probably give this a go... Have only once entered a sweepstake and got Croatia. Took the mick out of my boss who got Greece (ps. I am Greek). And what do you know, Greece won the tournament. Everybody happy :)