Polite Request - Self-Moderation on Inappropriate Language

Since its inception, the OCD-UK forums were designated to be as family-friendly and child-friendly as possible.

The forums are primarily to be a place for anyone with OCD, regardless of age to be able to come, and to seek help, support and mutual understanding. To that end, we need to show sensitivity to the feelings of other users, both young and old alike in the language that we use, and all language must be considered child appropriate, which means by definition we did not, and will not allow the use of language deemed adult in nature, or inappropriate.

From time to time the frustrations of the illness can get the better of us all, and we do swear on the forums. Generally the swear filter catches most words, but sometimes people try and get around the filter to get their point across. If it appears to the moderators that it is simply a case of the frustrations of the OCD, we simply edit the post and leave it at that.

However, over recent weeks I have seen an increase in trying to bypass the swear filter.

I would please politely request that you can help myself, and the moderating team simply by being mindful when posting, by self-moderating and not to post anything that would be deemed inappropriate in language or content through your text or content or videos that you post.

I thank you on behalf of the moderating team for helping us with this request.

Ashley.

P.S. Myself and the team are not prudes, where do you think we got all the swear words into the swear filter, we got them all between us :lol:

Guest PartVie
P.S. Myself and the team are not prudes, where do you think we got all the swear words into the swear filter, we got them all between us
Lol Ash!! :p

I'm just wondering, what is considered inappropriate content for videos? I've posted a documentary featuring OCD and a short program about OCD, so I don't think you're talking about that but I just can't imagine what you are talking about by inappropriate video content.

Thanks,

Vie.

Lol Ash!! :p

Ha, I won't tell you who came up with the most swear words, and it wasn't me! It's the meek and mild ones you have to watch :lol:

I'm just wondering, what is considered inappropriate content for videos?

Basically anything that contains language we would filter out if it was typed on the forums. For example I have removed a couple of video songs that contained swearing within the lyrics. Beyond that it is just common sense stuff really, anything containing nudity is likely to offend some, so we would remove those (after I have looked of course lol), anything which might get a pre 9pm ban on TV would perhaps be inappropriate for our audience here.

Ha, I won't tell you who came up with the most swear words, and it wasn't me!

Oooops!! I think I spent a fair while upgrading the swear filter.......but then it stands to reason, that as I'm much older than most of you, I've probably come across a fair few!!

Seriously, it is just worth thinking before posting.....would my Mum/Gran/Child be offended by this?

....and it makes our job much easier :p

Caramoole

• 5 months later...

I would just like to please remind everyone to please take a moment before posting external links or images to material which contains words which may offend others. I ask that everyone please helps in this matter to ensure that our forums remain a place where people of all ages, and sensitivities can read and post without risk of being led to material which may offend.

Thank you for your help and consideration of your fellow forum users.

• 1 month later...

As mentioned above, I have a duty to provide a forum which in general does not contain language of an adult nature which some people may not feel comfortable with. I think the time as come to please ask everyone to be mindful to avoid trying to bypass the swear filter please. For now I will simply re-pin this thread as a reminder for forum users that have been around a while, but for new members too that may not have seen this request previously.

If I can please request you respect the wishes of our forums.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest movemountains123

yes-- this is a good note for the community. I know OCD is frustrating, and it has brought me to swear many times, but it is not a good idea to use this language on the forum, as it should be a welcoming community to even young children. i developed OCD when I was 6, and so i know it is important to keep this forum clean for young kids.

movemountains123

• 2 weeks later...

I know it might be rather old-fashioned and perhaps I am, but I really don't see any need to swear and especially in type which by its nature isn't as spontaneous as speech.

I know it might be rather old-fashioned and perhaps I am, but I really don't see any need to swear and especially in type which by its nature isn't as spontaneous as speech.

I agree CJay, for the most part we usually know what we are typing. In the past we have tried to be lenient and just edit the words out, but I think we may need to be a little more stern if the problems continue. Thankfully from what I can tell people have been helpful and have been self-moderating well since I pinned the thread, so I thank people for that.

• 2 months later...

Can I please ask all users be mindful that we have other users as young as 12 on here, to users in their 70s, so please when posting be careful about the language that you use, and please do not try and bypass the swear filter. Ask yourself if you would use such language if you were standing next to young children in the street, and if the answer is no, then it does not have a place on our forums either please.

I don't believe our request is unreasonable, so I would like to please remind all users of this.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of new users, so I am bumping this thread back to the top of the forums. Please help the forum and the moderating team simply by being mindful when posting, by self-moderating and not to post anything that would be deemed inappropriate in language or content, including swearing and OCD descriptions which could be of an adult nature. For example when talking about our OCD it is possible to use appropriate language without being 'sexually graphic' when trying to describe OCD issues.

I thank you on behalf of the moderating team for helping us with this request.

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make the forum aware, today I suspended a member for a couple of days for swearing in their thread title, and in their one line thread post.

This is not an action I ever like to take, and I think it is the first such action I have taken against a member in two years (other than spammers and trolls), but as you can all see on the thread, my polite requests have fallen on deaf ears.

We are not being prudish when we say this, we are just trying to keep the forums a welcoming place, where the langauge being used is generally pleasant. Ask anyone that knows me, and they will tell you I swear, and a lot.. I think Northern Star heard it first hand as we cycled to Paris last year each time I saw a hill! But the point is, time and place, and I really don't see the need to swear on the forums. If you want to express sweary emotion at the OCD, then use this :censored: , there really is no need or excuse to swear when typing, when you have those few 'thinking seconds' you perhaps don't get when talking and swearing in error sometimes.

Please don't make myself or my moderating team the bad guys by having to suspend or ban people, please guys just self-moderate. :original:

Ask anyone that knows me, and they will tell you I swear, and a lot.. I think Northern Star heard it first hand as we cycled to Paris last year each time I saw a hill!

Erm yeah, I might have recycled something you said when I came across a humongous hill last week whilst out cycling. I swear quite a lot in speaking; like you say, though, there's a time and a place - not at work, not on here, etc.

• 7 months later...

Just a friendly reminder on this please. We all swear, but there is a time and place, and the forums is not the place for swearing. Sorry :)

But thank you for your help in self-moderation, most of the time we are all very good at doing it, its been a while since my last reminder, so that is great, thank you.

• 8 months later...

It's that time of the year again when I ask for a season of goodwill to all men, women and forum users please and please help us by self-moderating your own language and attempts to bypass swear filters.

Please and

:thankyousign: