Checking by asking the same questions over and over

Guest WorrierJo

Guest WorrierJo

I'm having a problem at the moment where I feel compelled to ask the same question even though I've had an answer to it before, it's like if I don't ask I get anxious about it and can't stop thinking about it, does anyone else experience this and how do you deal with it? For example my boyfriend has decided to give up smoking and I keep asking him over and over if he really wants to and has he changed his mind....

It's checking behavior with some reassurance seeking thrown in for good measure. What you do about it is stop doing it and live with the increased anxiety. Your anxiety level will go up (because you're not asking) but it will eventually come down all on its own.

Many years ago I used to do this all the time.....tbh I hadn't really appreciated I did it until I realised how many times my Husband said "You've already asked me that three times" :shy:

I found it pretty easy to stop once I became aware of what I'd been doing

Caramoole

Guest WorrierJo

My boyfriend usually says "you know the answer to that" and yes I do but I still feel the need to ask again, just so glad he is so understanding, now I'm aware of what I'm doing I'll work on bit doing it anymore.