Techniques on how to calm anxiety??

Guest Anonomous17645

Guest Anonomous17645

I feel absolutely terrible! Ive had ocd thoughts which have caused anxiety, and it won't shift. And along with the anxiety comes more unwanted thoughts, urges and also compulsions. I've tried everything I know and nothing is shifting this! Any advice?

Guest imalright

Breathing techniques :-)

When someone told me that a breathing technique could get rid of anxiety, I regret I never tried it because I'd think 'how on earth can a breathing exercise get rid of a thought or a panic attack? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard'.

However, one day I had a wave of panic and felt the anxiety creeping. So - I tried it and was amazed that it worked.

Inhale slowly through your nose ensuring you're filling your belly/pushing your belly out.

Hold.....and exhale slowly through your mouth.

If you keep doing it - the anxiety will just go?! No idea how that works but it does. And...if the anxiety is gone, you're able to think more rationally x

;-))

Guest Stormwave

If you want to try breathing techniques, I've made an Android app for timing breaths. It basically takes you from natural breathing to slow deep breaths for like 30 minute long sessions. When done properly, I find it can be as effective as tranquillisers. If you have Android and would like a copy for free, let me know.

And anyone else for that mater.

Edited by Stormwave
Guest itsnotmeitsmyocd

Try not to escape the anxiety, as this only makes it stronger. Try letting it be there and carry on doing whatever you normally would. Try not to monitor anxiety levels, the less we focus on it and allow it to be, the better in the long run. x

Guest Stormwave

Stormwave...that sounds very impressive :-0

I'm on iPhone....that's different to Android...right?! :-D x

Yeah, it's different. I never made an iOS version as there is a pretty good app that is similar on iOS already called Breathing Zone, unfortunately it's not free though. Edited by Stormwave
Guest lizinlondon

I find breathing helps alot too. I also have downloaded mindfulness meditations from the internet and can play them on my phone. At.the end of the day thoughts are just thoughts, they will always be there and come and go, it is the meaning we give to them that causes problems!

Anxiety in connection with intrusive thoughts is bugging me too at the moment.

So I am trying to keep distracted - at the moment I'm on the ;laptop and watching foootball - Man Utd have just scored another goal. Now so have Leicester and its 3-3.

I have been doing some hard work in the grarden pruning, that helps to burn off the "fight or flight" reaction where the muscles tense, breathing shallows, pulse rate blood pressure rise - the unpleasant symptoms of anxiety.

Going for a brisk aerobic walk will also do that.

Having got the anxiety response down, use the breathing and meditation, and keep busy on those meaningful distractions.

You don't want to be interacting with the thoughts, but you can try a defusion method to take the sting out of them. If you say to yourself "I am having the thought that...... , or imagine the thoughts being said in a silly vloice.

Or imagine them written down on a blackboard, then you pick up the eraser and rub them out.

You can also reframe the thoughts into something nicer - hold the thought in your mind, then using your imagination change it into something less distressing/benefical and practical - then focus on that.

Edited by taurean

I've been running quite calm today, and gave myself a boost with the Bach rescue remedy - version you spray on your tongue.

This has been very helpful, coupled with me keeping really busy

I will check out the other rescue remedy's mentioned on threads - I think somebody suggested white chestnut is good.

I'll add in more support for relaxation breathing, there are a number of different styles out there. Another technique I've used is progressive relaxation. Basically you imagine your body relaxing, starting with your toes and slowly working your way up to your head. One more thing I've found that helps for me at least is mints, like the kind you suck on. I prefer altoid, but any long lasting ones will do. I find it gives me something tangible and immediate I can focus on. The taste, the smell, the feel, you can practice mindfulness and it freshens your breath too ;)

Anxiety is when the brain feels a threat, and it triggers an unwanted - in us - fight or flight response.

The hormones adrenaline and cortisol are secreted, tensing muscles, increasing blood pressure and pulse rate, sharpening responses and shutting down unwanted areas like digestion.

Unless we release this arousal, we will feel very uncomfortable physically, have headaches and have trouble with our digestion and bodily functions.

The best treatment is of course to remove or minimise the threat, coupled with sufficient aerobic physical activity to burn off the arousal.

Perhaps some physical activity alongside some graded ERP will be bnenefical therefore?