Newly Diagnosed.

Guest TheRealNoah

Guest TheRealNoah

I was diagnosed as OCD today. I have several mental illnesses/anxiety disorders. I guess I didn't really understand what OCD was. I always kind of figured I had OCD tendencies like I was told by a therapist at one point, but didn't think I could be OCD because I don't have handwashing rituals etc, and any counting rituals are very very minimal in my case. But I learned about Primarily Obsessional OCD recently and was diagnosed today. It's just a scary place right now because on one hand I have the reassurance that maybe this means i"m not an evil monster, but at the same time I am having these thoughts that getting a diagnosis is just an excuse to try to hide the fact that i am a monster, and logically I can see that that's an obsessive thought but I can't make myself believe it and my anxiety is actually getting worse because of it.I just know that i am glad because it can inform my therapy treatment going forward and hopefully we can tackle this. Thank you for having me.

Welcome to the forum, Noah.

It is common to have mixed feelings about a diagnoses. Some people are relieved. Others find it problematic. There can be a lot of emotion tied to being told you have OCD. My suggestion to you is to learn about OCD, what it exactly is, what obsessions and compulsions are, how it manifests in different people, and what the preferred treatment is for it. Knowledge is power. The main OCD-UK website is a great resource for this type of information.

Welcome again and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.