How to resist the urge to look up thoughts online?

If a particular thing is bothering me a lot, how do I resist the urge of looking it up online to I guess get reassurance. It's like I need to see how others are going through the same thing & need to see the responses they get. I sometimes feel it's the only way where the thoughts ease up, & they don't go away by themselves.

With me, if I look up things on the internet regarding my OCD, I may feel better for an hour or so, or even for that evening, but I can guarantee I'll feel worse in the long run, so I just remind myself of that whenever I feel the need to google something :original:

With me, if I look up things on the internet regarding my OCD, I may feel better for an hour or so, or even for that evening, but I can guarantee I'll feel worse in the long run, so I just remind myself of that whenever I feel the need to google something :original:

But what if the thought is just constantly in your mind? And nothing is making it go away? It's so hard to resist the urge to look at times.

Never looking my thoughts up online ever again no matter how hard the urge is. It's going to be hard but I can't do it anymore. Now my mind is twisting things around & making me feel awful. I'd rather just post here if I'm feeling really bad about something than looking it up.

Guest PalaeontologyLover

Whatever it is that's bothering you is the problem here. I find by the time I'm looking at something online I've already been ruminating to myself and over analysing the thought I've had so I've already gave in to compulsions. You need to tackle this as soon as the thought occurs. When I get a thought I can't dismiss it helps to imagine it as a pier of paper I scrumple up and then throw away. You need to ignore the thought first and foremost, not easy I know, but it can be done!

Whatever it is that's bothering you is the problem here. I find by the time I'm looking at something online I've already been ruminating to myself and over analysing the thought I've had so I've already gave in to compulsions. You need to tackle this as soon as the thought occurs. When I get a thought I can't dismiss it helps to imagine it as a pier of paper I scrumple up and then throw away. You need to ignore the thought first and foremost, not easy I know, but it can be done!

Yeah, by looking it up online it's making me feel awful. It has to do with where I read other peoples problems in the same category of obsession than comparing it to mine. And basically trying to feel better about it, but it backfired on me. Their situation was much worse than mine but I was still trying to compare it to mine, & now my mind is twisting things around making me feel like some sick awful person. It's hard to explain, but I'm never doing it again after this. I just can't anymore.

Edited by NJ321

I really screwed myself over bad by looking thought up online. Been bothering me for the past 6 or 7 hours now. I probably need to start taking medication. I just don't have a normal functioning brain.

Edited by NJ321

This still bothering me. Why would I compare my problem with someone who has it worse? They said that they had fantasies of kids when they were in their teens. And said they masturbated to their fantasies. And it's like in my mind I was comparing it to them & felt like their issue didn't bother me or something. I don't know how to explain it. But it's been bothering me literally for the past 24 hours now. What the hell is this about? Feel like I'm losing it, but I promised myself I'm never going to search my thoughts online anymore so I'm posting here instead.

Edited by NJ321

This is no different than the other items you've posted. You're OCD has focused in on something and is making a mountain out of a molehill. Your job is to figure out what compulsions you are performing (likely ruminating at the top of the list) and resist doing them. Try to leave it alone as best you can.

This is no different than the other items you've posted. You're OCD has focused in on something and is making a mountain out of a molehill. Your job is to figure out what compulsions you are performing (likely ruminating at the top of the list) and resist doing them. Try to leave it alone as best you can.

I get that it's the OCD which is making me constantly think about it, but why would I try to compare myself to someone who has a much worse issue & it's almost like when I was reading it it didn't bother me. I don't know how to explain it exactly. After this, there's no way I'm looking my thoughts up online again.

Here's my take on medication. I've taken it for a few months and realized that it did exactly nothing to help me with the problems.

I know for a fact that the obsessions will pass by them selves and that medication just damages my body and brain. I'll advise anyone not to get used to the mental reassurance medication provides but rather to tackle the problem head on - naturally.

Hi

I mess my head up googling,if i read support i feel ok for a bit but i keep searching then ill find someone thinking im vile

This thread has spun me out a bit as i have posted before that in my late twentys i fantasized about a girl i thought was alot older but lokking back could have been 14 ,15,16.this has messed me up for a while now knowing that I did fantasize and like the fantasys even though it was so long ago i beleave it may have been taboo and my mind tells me i must have known her age and thats the reason.

Dont mean to turn this to me but pb wrote a great post about real event ocd

But for the life of me because of past fantasys i cant see this as ocd

This thread just makes me think that must be what others may think to

Edited by battlethrough

What makes it OCD is that you are fixated on it now. Now is OCD. What you are going through now is OCD. It doesn't matter if you really did have the fantasy in the past. It's been so long ago it should have been forgotten by now. But your disorder dredged it up and made a big deal out of it -- a big deal out of nothing. That's the OCD.