Irritated by sounds

Guest heartplace

Guest heartplace

Can OCD cause us to be really irritated and uncomfortable when we hear certain sounds? For example if I don't like the sound of someone's voice, it really bothers my ears and I wish I could get away from them for a bit even though they might really be a nice person. I also feel like I'm getting sick and need to stop everything I'm doing and get away. Or could this be something else? I think I read once that OCD can involve being bothered by some sounds? All I really know is that I'm tired of feeling this way.

In addition to this, I have a problem with constant ringing in the ears, tinnitus maybe. I haven't been diagnosed with that though.

Edited by heartplace
Guest gks444

I get this. Like it irritates me so much but then at other times the same noises don't irritate me at all. Sometimes I'm really sensitive to other people's bad habits aswell. I feel like either of these things makes me want to smack them over the head!

Gem.

Guest heartplace

Hi Gem,

Glad I'm not the only one! I mean it's all probably in my head...but sometimes people's voices actually cause me to feel sick at my stomach it seems! I've heard of a phobia called Phonophobia, but I'm not AFRAID of the sounds per se. I just get annoyed because of how unpleasant the sounds are to me and I think my worries over them might be what causes me to get a headache/nausea/overall ill feeling.

Candy

Guest OCDelighted

There's this one guy at work who's voice I can not bear, course it doesn't help that everything to come out of his mouth is verbal diarrhea and an older lady who sounds like a seagull being assaulted when she laughs, she's lovely though.

Guest gks444

Heartplace,

I would say we're not alone in this to be honest. And I don't know really how to get over it?? If you don't like something, you don't like it? Especially a noise. It's weird though because sometimes it doesn't bother me at all.

Gem

I can relate to and can often become so physically irritated by a particular noise or someone's voice. Worst of all is the tinnitus. They suspect that it is caused by taking sertraline in my case. Xx

Edited by CompulsiveBear

I get very angry when I'm walking down the street and I can hear people's shoes clopping behind me or rustling a carrier bag. It sounds like they're really close but when I turn and look they're quite often a long way off. Really annoys me, but on the plus side I get to places quickly as I race down the street to get away from people!

I get very angry when I'm walking down the street and I can hear people's shoes clopping behind me or rustling a carrier bag. It sounds like they're really close but when I turn and look they're quite often a long way off. Really annoys me, but on the plus side I get to places quickly as I race down the street to get away from people!

Ah I do that too, except with breathing, whispering, and (*shudder*) chewing. It feels like they're right next to me just making noise, and they are actually on the other side of the room at times. Oh and sirens, at times they cause me to cry, and when people make the "s" sound. And clapping, but to a lesser degree.

I get this too! I used to share an office with an absolutely lovely person, but who unknowingly made random noises such as whispering out loud, chewing loudly and so on. it used to get to me so much I couldn't bare to be around her - so not her fault, but I couldn't help it. I also feel that way with repetitive movements such as tapping, jigging legs etc (even though, very hypocritically,I do that sort of thing myself!)