Hi

Guest Luke89

Guest Sisyphus

Anyone want to chat? I have ocd

Hey buddy - what's up?

What kind of stuff does your OCD cover? Mine's mostly intrusive thoughts about all manner of stuff - conflict, sexuality, harm, the past.

Guest Luke89

It's mainly checking things and counting numbers with it. Also is hard to get out the house because of the OCD. Do you have any tips that could help?

Guest Sisyphus

It's mainly checking things and counting numbers with it. Also is hard to get out the house because of the OCD. Do you have any tips that could help?

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Hi Luke,

Well at this point, I can't speak from a place of personal recovery but I can tell you what other people recommend:

1) The overwhelming recommendation(though it doesn't work for everyone) is CBT/ERP, if necessary combined with medication.

2) In the meantime it's a good idea to educate yourself about OCD and some books people recommend are:

Brain Lock

Break Free from OCD

The OCD Workbook

3) I have heard that meditation twice a day can help with such disorders though that's based purely on anecdotal evidence, so you have to decide for yourself what you think of that and whether to try it or not.

Other people may have different/more recommendations. If no-one else responds here though, it might be a good idea to post the question again on the main OCD forum(under this one) as it is the most read/responded to of these non-member forums.

Guest Luke89

Yeah I have tried breathing techniques and they work. It calms you down so your more controlled but won't last though. Will try it again if I'm going out for a while like shopping or seeing relatives ect

Also helps heart palpitations if your panicking or anxious. Thanks for the reply too :D

Guest Sisyphus

Yeah I have tried breathing techniques and they work. It calms you down so your more controlled but won't last though. Will try it again if I'm going out for a while like shopping or seeing relatives ect

Also helps heart palpitations if your panicking or anxious. Thanks for the reply too :D

Any time man.

I hate shops, especially supermarkets. If I'm not careful it's like OCD Vietnam. :)

Guest Sisyphus

Is it because they get busy? I get headaches sometimes in supermarkets. Could be the lights?

Well I don't think it's the lights in my case. But yes definitely because they're busy.

I think it's because for me there are a lot of triggers there, and it's one of the worst environments for me to deal with them - i.e. people flying at me, wanting to stand where I'm standing, barging past, invading my space, being loud, on phones. Nowehere to take time out. Now if it's not too busy it can be OK sometimes. But if busy, guaranteed crucible of OCD unpleasantness.

As for headaches, I'm not sure what would cause that. Perhaps a visceral rejection of the industrialised, processed, tampered-with garbage that's on offer. Sorry that's just my little joke. I never should have watched "Food Inc" ;)

Guest Luke89

Well it's probably the medication I take for anxiety. I was on 2 now on 1 which made a difference to my headaches. I would just stand there sometimes and wait if people do barge into you slightly with a trolley ect then they say sorry anyway.

Guest Sisyphus
Luke89, on 20 Jul 2014 - 3:37 PM, said:

Well it's probably the medication I take for anxiety. I was on 2 now on 1 which made a difference to my headaches. I would just stand there sometimes and wait if people do barge into you slightly with a trolley ect then they say sorry anyway.

Ha I do that sometimes too. People have forgotten how to say "excuse me please" if they need to get past where a stranger is standing. they'll eithe wait, linger an inch away, or barge.

I once had a lady ram me with her trolley for no apparent reason - the aisle was empty, there was more than enough room for both of us, it was bewildering - I just looked at her with my hands up in the air and protested "WHHHHHY?". And she tried to cover it up with a giggle.

My favourite supermarket thing though is when I'm looking at something on a shelf and an assistant comes and stands literally right between me and the thing blocking my view. Since when did shop assistants get so passive-aggressive?!?

Ah so maybe the reduction in meds caused the headaches. I'm trying to stay off meds for now, but it's hard. I should probably be taking them.

Guest Sisyphus
Luke89, on 22 Jul 2014 - 3:14 PM, said:

Oh ok. Did you shout why or just say it? Yeh try and take some type of meds for your OCD.

Erm, hopefully just said it :shy:

But it was aggravating so yknow.

Guest Sisyphus

Yep I know that feeling

I used to respond to these things more. Had to try and knock it on the head a bit as OCD got worse though as I just found I too often didnt have the right head on me to deal with these things and it would just cause more anxiety etc.

Guest Sisyphus

Hey, I identify with the counting. I count letters in words hoping for it too be even! Is that a compulsion?

If it aint it'll do until a compulsion comes along ;) Edited by Sisyphus