New SI habit, should I be worried? *TRIGGER*

Guest TessyFace

Guest TessyFace

Ok, so I used to cut when I was a teen but then stopped when my mum found out. I then started again in my twenties but had to stop 'cos it upsets my fiance and I can't deal with the emotions it brings up.

The other day I decided I was really fed up with the thin veins that show up on my legs near the surface so I stuck them with pins until they bled out. I found the sensation of finding and hitting the vein so satisfying but I ran out of the surface veins. I wanted the rush back though so found a proper vein and dug until I managed to hit it, and the feeling was even better because it bled more and faster. I was excited 'cos I figured I could just say it was a spot however I didn't count on it leaving ring bruises...

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is dangerous? Like permanently?

Thanks for any help, I can't find the answer on google :(

Hi, I used to self injure but I haven't come across targeting veins before. My main concern would be that veins obviously carry blood around the body, so I would imagine directly targeting them could be dangerous. You also might select an artery rather than a vein which would be particularly dangerous.

You said that you started because you were fed up with the thin veins on your legs - is that the real reason? It sounds a bit as though you have sort of accidentally got back into self injury. It's the same feelings as cutting but a different method, which might be allowing you to pretend it's not the same thing with the same problems attached.

Obviously it would be better if you could stop. There are other things you can do which may help, such as holding an ice cube for a long time - it still hurts but it doesn't leave lasting damage.

Hope some of this helps.

Yes it's dangerous. It's dangerous from a bleeding standpoint and the standpoint of infection. Furthermore, you are doing so to try to alleviate the anxiety and distress you feel about something else. That's not helpful. You need to deal with the original problem, not use your body as a pincushion.