ocd with honesty?

Guest davidwillsdon

Guest davidwillsdon

I have ocd where I keep thinking ive lied or might have lied to people. And I have to get back to them at all costs otherwise I think something very bad will happen to me in the afterlife. I end up pestering people in an ocd fashion. Can you equate with this? David

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what an OCD fashion is. Your obsession appears to be fear of lying and your compulsion seems to be getting back to them, clarifying what you said.

The way to overcome this is simple to say, more difficult to put into practice. You have to stop the compulsions. Resist them as much as you can with an eye toward stopping in the future.

All compulsions do is reinforce the obsessions and make them stronger.

Guest davidwillsdon

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter. There is a verse in the bible which says that I should cast my anxiety on to christ for he cares for me. I reckon I must do that to get total peace of mind. Do you agree?

Guest davidwillsdon

Yeah I agree that I must work at it in order to get better. Its like ive got a stronghold in the mind. Its the worse feeling in the world. It really is. Do you have ocd?

Guest davidwillsdon

Yeah I agree that I must work at it in order to get better. Its like ive got a stronghold in the mind. Its the worse feeling in the world. It really is. Do you have ocd?

Guest davidwillsdon

Guest heartplace

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter. There is a verse in the bible which says that I should cast my anxiety on to christ for he cares for me. I reckon I must do that to get total peace of mind. Do you agree?

Telling God what is causing your anxiety, and how bad you feel, is definitely a good thing to do! And I know what scripture you're talking about. 1 Peter 5:7?

Another good one:

"Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus."

Philippians 4:6, 7

Try to keep in mind that God understands what problems you're having and won't hold it against you either. :) He takes all our circumstances into account. But I do understand where you're coming from. I have a fear of lying too, and I have various religious obsessions that bother me like there's no tomorrow.

Edited by heartplace
Guest heartplace

prey but not as a compulsion

Very important, because I have accidentally turned my praying into compulsions. I have to work at not compulsively praying now.

Just popping in to say I had the exact same kind of obsessions. For instance, I would avoid saying phrases like: "That was the best pizza I ever had" or things like that because I couldn't be sure they were true. I'm religious as well, so it was also to do with that.

Just so you know you're not alone on this one :)

Guest davidwillsdon

Thanks friends. I feel less alone now! Im glad that you're all Christians who feel and understand the way I do. I have a drink problem as I use that as a source of comfort. I wouldnt say im a alcoholic as it is only binges that I have. Tell me more about your ocd?

I had religious OCD initially where I got super-scared that every little thing I did was a sin and that I'd go to hell because of it (this was before I truly understood what the Bible taught about salvation). For instance, I'd have to read the Terms of Conditions for every website I went on because they usually have a clause saying "by using this site you agree that you've read the terms and conditions" and I thought it was dishonest if I didn't. That was obviously really time consuming. Not until I found out the real message about salvation did I realise there was never anything to fear, and religious OCD has pretty much left me now. After about a year and a half of being free. my OCD kicked up again this year. At the moment I get obsessions about one particular friend, and whether he's only pretending to like me or not, and things along a similar vein. Pretty tiring too, since it makes me extremely jealous as well.

Guest heartplace

I had religious OCD initially where I got super-scared that every little thing I did was a sin and that I'd go to hell because of it (this was before I truly understood what the Bible taught about salvation). For instance, I'd have to read the Terms of Conditions for every website I went on because they usually have a clause saying "by using this site you agree that you've read the terms and conditions" and I thought it was dishonest if I didn't. That was obviously really time consuming. Not until I found out the real message about salvation did I realise there was never anything to fear, and religious OCD has pretty much left me now. After about a year and a half of being free. my OCD kicked up again this year. At the moment I get obsessions about one particular friend, and whether he's only pretending to like me or not, and things along a similar vein. Pretty tiring too, since it makes me extremely jealous as well.

I have an obsession similar to what you used to have, only I don't believe in hellfire. I believe that eventually God is going to destroy the wicked permanently at Armageddon and one of my obsessions/fears is being one of those! I know God doesn't want to destroy anyone, but I also know that if people are going to continue being as bad as they are that he will have no choice but to destroy them. My fear is just being considered one worthy of destruction.

I believe that I'm saved for as long as I'm loyal to him and doing what he wants me to do. :)

Guest davidwillsdon

Its a horrible place to be at fearing going to hell. I had hellish dreams as a child and id do anything to not go there. Even if it means stalking someone to get back to someone after lieing to someone. I keep thinking its imperative to my salvation to get back to people who ive lied to. Its a horrible feeling

Guest heartplace

Its a horrible place to be at fearing going to hell. I had hellish dreams as a child and id do anything to not go there. Even if it means stalking someone to get back to someone after lieing to someone. I keep thinking its imperative to my salvation to get back to people who ive lied to. Its a horrible feeling

I used to have nightmares every night as a kid too. But logically, it'll be impossible to do what you want to do and God would understand that. We're all imperfect due to inherited sin from Adam, we weren't meant to be this way. We weren't meant to have to deal with things like OCD. But I understand, it is a horrible feeling to have. But God wouldn't hold this against you. He knows we're imperfect. Besides, who HASN'T lied in the past? That doesn't justify being a liar, I'm just saying that I think we all have lied at one time or another, mainly as children.

We live in a corrupt world that makes it difficult (not impossible) to stay honest, but I have deep respect for those who do remain honest in all things.

But anyway, it'll be alright. :) God knows how you feel about lying.

Guest davidwillsdon

Thanks heartplace. Im away from home at the moment. I conact you at a later date. My phone battery I want to conserve at the moment

Guest davidwillsdon

Its horrible when I have compulsions to get back to people. When I give in to my compulsion I say to myself did I say it correctly and then I have to get back to them again. And again and ahain and again until im satisfied that I said it correctly to them. Its horrible. Help me with another bible verse heartplace.

Guest heartplace

"So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles."
Matthew 6:34

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will help you, I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness."
Isaiah 41:10

"When anxieties overwhelmed me, you [God] comforted and soothed me."

Psalm 94:19

I think you'll find Psalm 119 a helpful chapter to read too :)

Edited by heartplace