religious compulsions

Guest Sally44

Guest Sally44

Our son has had his medication increased. It is causing increased anxiety/OCD, which we were told to expect.

It is causing him alot of intrusive thoughts, which he cannot get rid of. So he is hurting himself to distract his thoughts eg. banging his head, pulling out his eyelashes, etc. And when he gets upset/angry he feels very embarrassed. So the compulsion is for him to pray for forgiveness and for him to change and start a new life.

Really not sure how to deal with this one. I don't mind if he prays. But because he wants to pray or meditate. Not as a compulsion.

Hello Sally, i am an ocd sufferer and i do almost same compulsions like your son. After every intrusive thought i have to ask God-'God please at any cost understand my true feelings and save me' I have magical thinking ocd, and have intrusive thoughts almost 24/7. I perform this mental compulsion everytime, its so hard to break this compulsion and its so exhausting to pray like this all day till it feels right.

Edited by nidu

I would try suggesting he delayed the compulsion graduating the time to longer and longer. If he is upset and anxious the pull to compulse is strong but if he gave himself more time in between he may find he wants to do it less and less.

It also sounds like he is trying to stop the thoughts coming in to his mind which is a compulsion and will increase the frequency of thoughts. Distraction is best used to stop a compulsion. Anything that engages his brain would work. Personally I like reading or mobile puzzle games.

Guest Sally44

He does do things like that. He says that being on the computer is something that completely blocks out the thoughts.

Now he is getting more used to his increase in medication is seems to be lessening. But at its height he was praying once or twice every 5 minutes throughout the day. That is alot.

Edited by Sally44