pure 0

Guest epson1

Hi

i have suffered with ocd since i was 11 years old. initially it was the obvious ocd symptoms, checking, counting which i seemed to combat and no longer control me. However in my early twenties, it switched to pure o as my life became more complex. However in my thirties it disappeared. Now I’m in my early 40’s, it has returned, especially bad last year when i underwent CRB however am not sure that it was effective as what i was taught did not really combat anything, and i feel it was a waste of money. i am currently not on any meds, however twenty years ago, i was on 60mg fluoxetine along with CRB which had no effect then, however i am not sure if the CRB i was undergoing was direct to pure o.
In my thirties, i took omega 3 oil, 3mg which seemed to help, however now does not help, so I’ve added 10mg krill oil, which seems to knock the edge of at times, not sure if that is my imagination?
I was wondering if someone could advise me of a specific therapist who deals with pure o in the leeds area.

The type of OCD you have is almost moot when it comes to therapy. Pure O is a misnomer anyway. You still have compulsions, just mental ones instead of obvious ones that other people can see.

If may well be the person you were dealing with didn't know enough about OCD to effectively help you.

Edited by PolarBear
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Epson, I too suffer from what is sometimes called "Pure-O" and for the longest time I didn't realize that I had compulsions too. However instead of being obvious external compulsions, like counting or checking, they are mental compulsions, like mentally reviewing situations, compulsively having to counter a bad thought with a good one, "testing" my thoughts to be sure that I don't really like the bad thoughts, and trying to out logic my OCD. They can be hard to notice at first, but as I've learned more and worked with therapists I've gotten better and recognizing them, and working to not give in, just like someone with more obvious compulsions does.

Regarding therapy, I've worked with a couple therapists over the years, all helpful, and none of them specialized in "pure-O", they treatment, while tailored to my particular fears and compulsions, was essentially the same as any other OCD sufferer they would treat.

I also take medication to help with my OCD, I took fluoxetine in doses ranging from 20-60 mg over about a 10 year period, then switched to citalopram/escitalopram since. Different people react differently to the various SSRI's so even if one didn't work for you, others might be more helpful, especially in conjunction with a good CBT therapist.