Looking for some answers

Guest arbolrojo

Guest arbolrojo

Hello everyone.

his is a little intimidating as I've never really spoken about any of this in such a public forum before so I hope you'll bear with me.

I've been dealing wit OCD-like symptoms for over ten years now (on and off). At several points, I've gone years relatively happy and obsession-free. However the last year has been really hard. I've tried every solution that I'm aware of minus medication; meditation, religion and spirituality, therapy, keeping a diary of obsessions, shrugging it off and focussing myself on consuming work, but I feel like all of these attempts have come to naught. I'm feeling increasingly desperate, like there's no way out.

Since puberty I have had difficulty with sexual thoughts of a taboo nature (anything that might be considered immoral or strange has come into my head and plagued my thoughts for weeks on end). These feelings are frequently intermingled with guilt as I really am still unsure of how much these thoughts are part of me i.e. desires or just irrational fears induced by my illness. In the last year I feel like things have really got unbearable as now the things I constantly question are no longer just these sexual obsessions but everyday average mistakes that get blown out of proportion, for example I said something in the wrong tone of voice to someone or I arrived late to a work appointment. So much of my time is spent agonizing over all these things, and I've been doing it so long that it really feels like there's no way out.

I'm currently living abroad and while I speak the language near-fluently, I feel I wouldn't know where to start with looking for help.

I suppose I just feel really lost, helpless and desperate. Is there a way out?

Thank you so much for reading.

Yes there is a way out. At least a way toward the end of the tunnel where the thoughts don't bother you as much.

Medications can be helpful. A lot of people have been helped by taking medications for OCD. You should also look into getting some professional therapy that involves CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). There are also steps you can take on your own.

I suggest you have a look around the main forum and familiarize yourself with the different issues we talk about and how we answer questions for each other. Jump right in when you want to.

I also want to let you know that intrusive sexual thoughts are quite common with OCD. There are many, many people who suffer from that OCD theme.

Welcome to the forum.