is this bdd

Guest penny0305

Guest penny0305

Hi, I have bad ocd which centres around my teeth.I grind and pick at them compulsively.however I also have a massive obsession with my hair to the point that it's taking over my life.I was blessed with horrible fine straight typical English hair.I have to keep it short because it grows funny.it just never looks right or lies.straight.one side at the back always sticks out like sore thumbs. I have to wash it every day and dread doing it because I know how weird it will look when it's dry.on the odd days it looks ok I feel so much happier but that's rare.sometimes I've washed it several times in a row in a vain attempt to make it look right.it just looks weird. Whenever I go to the hairdressers I come back and check every bit of it and if any is uneven I go into meltdown. I don't care anymore if it looks nice I just want it to not look so weird. I don't go places because I don't want people looking at it and if I catch sight of it in a mirror I panic.does this sound like bdd. I constantly.compare my hair to other peoples. It's bad enough with my teeth but this is wrecking my life.

Hi Penny,

I'm pretty sure what you've described has all the hallmarks of BDD - that feeling of having to check your hair, the need to make it look 'right,' the feelings of anxiety/panic and the not wanting to be seen (avoidance) all point in that direction don't they.

I know from reading your other thread over on the Support Forum you're coming off Clonazepam, so maybe now's not the right time to up the ante by tackling the thoughts and feelings around your hair, you've got enough to contend with - but I would definitely raise it with either your GP or maybe your CBT therapist at some point, it sounds like it's having quite an impact on the quality of your life.

I guess one positive's that BDD's treated in the same way as OCD by trying to slowly resist performing the compulsions over time, but maybe that's something to tackle when you're on an even keel with the medication.

I hope things settle down for you soon meds-wise, it sounds like a nightmare......but definitely the way to go.

Hal

Hi penny how are you doing? I'm very sorry to hear about your suffering.As a long time sufferer of BDD myself it does appear that you may very much be suffering from BDD by what you're telling us.I'm no Dr of course but given what you've explained does appear to show you're showing the symptoms of BDD.Are you seeing anyone of how you're feeling at the moment∨ do you have a diagnosis? :original: .

Hi PEnny.To be honest I wondered if the teeth problem was BDD anyway and I think it is something that you definitely seem to suffer from.How have you been today?aS hal says the technique will be to resist which is the same technique for your teeth but I sympathise because it all creates such anxiety and low mood but in time it will drop when you succeed and get more control

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Penny,

I am not having bdd myself but I do have regular ocd.. I was just checking here because my brother has bdd and wanted to see if anyone is sharing his story but I found you instead.

I don't know if this can help you since this is An obsession for you and you probably already tried a lot.

But I am a hairdresser and I know there are Some good products out there. I have very dry and damaged hair myself but using professional products does wonders. Have you ever tried using them ' Yourself and not only when you go to the hairdresser.?

I know this probably isnt really helpful to you but every small bit can help right?

Nicki

• 2 months later...
Guest Rosiebella1

Hi hun this defo sounds like bdd I have obsessed over my hair before and often compare it to others and think mine is flat etc but the funny thing is when I look back on pics it actually looks nice! So most of it is probably in your head but like Nicki said there are products out there that help with fine hair and have you ever considered clip in hair extensions? You could get them the same length of your hair to help give it volume I don't know if that will help but you can look on eBay they have some good ones. As for part of your hair sticking out that's completely normal no ones hair lays dead flat and would look boring if it did but the extensions might help weigh the hair down. Just a suggestion!! If not have you tried curling it xx