Looking for a solution, bdd is confusing. Just need some answers

Guest MrAnonymous

Guest MrAnonymous

You know, Im not even sure if I have officially diagnosable bdd. But the thing is, I don't really care. What matters is the way I feel about the little situation I'm in, the one I've been in for so long, and seems to enjoy ******* me over every once in a while.

I've pretty much always obsessed over my looks, but until recently (if you call, like, a few years ago recently), it's really been in a good way. I admired myself in the mirror, cocky little ******* I was. But then I started doubting my looks. I'd start checking mirrors, obsessing over my hair, of course, the justin beiber look had to remain perfect. It wasn't so bad then, didn't really take up much emotional space in my life. But of course it got worse, highschool happened, and the whole obsessive thing slowly got more prevailent. It wasn't until, say, six months ago when I realized that it wasn't just normal teenage worries. I found that I had ups and downs with it, days I could be proud of my appearance, and others, I was ashamed of it, yet, thankfully, it still hasn't gotten so bad that I continuously avoid social situations.

So, enough history, here's the now.

My focus has changed from hair to nose to whatever to, now, general facial features, ussuay the lower half of my face. I have days where I just see some strange looking, unnatractive ugh in the mirror, but, the strange thing is, The other half of the time, I'm happy with my looks. I feel attractive, even very exceptional in the looks department, but the highs always seem to gravitate back down, to where I feel nice and **** again.

The truth is, I'm attractive, some may say very attractive, sure, sounds arrogant to say, but it's true. People constantly tell me to model, a few have called me beautiful, and I'm a guy, the evidence is there, but I still sometimes refuse to believe it. Despite everything, I still fall into my lovely pit of obsessions, and I find it hard to believe I even have friends, looking the way I do. But I'm not just here to complain, however nice it was. I'm here to ask, anyone, if you've somewhere similar to me, and everyone, if you have any advice.

All I'm sure of, is that this is holding me back, and I'm far past simply being tired of it.

How can I get out of this sick roller coaster, and stay constant; how can I care about the things that matter, rather than this one thing that seeks to take me over?

Thanks for reading all of that

--MrAnonymous

I would say your symptoms point very much to bdd.Cognitive behavioural therapy is the treatment they use and they say the earlier you start with it the better the results so I would go see your doctor and don't give up until you get treatment.Some doctors aren't too good at realizing it's such a problem, but they say to just go to another doctor until you find one who takes you seriously.Keep me informed how you get on

Dear Mr A pleased to meet you :original: ,as a long time sufferer of BDD myself I know where you're coming from.Youy could be suffering from BDD of course I'm no one to do a diagnosis on you :D .It could be very much when you're feeling bettrer&yourself you feel quiute confident&as you should&you do less of the obsessing over your looks for e.g.and when you feel a bit not as great like me&others you do more of the obsessing,the rituals etc etc.

Changing from one feauture to another is very common I do belive as that can very well happen in BDD sufferers,I think like lovid mentioned CBT is the way to get&a possible diagnosis is you haven't got one yet is the way to go my friend.

Guest Steba

My anonymous - can I suggest you reading 'body dysmorphic disorder - understanding and overcoming being excessively self conscious of one's looks by a former sufferer' written by Rob Smith. You can read a sample on amazon to see if you can relate to it. I think it may have the answers you are looking for.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest soniannbowen

I feel the exact same way as you do. I'm 19 and have been suffering from bdd since I was 17. I'm currently doing cbt which is helping me a lot although I do still have bad days as most of us do. Some days I feel fine And attractive and when I look in the mirror I feel ashamed that I let it get to me but then other days I look in the mirror and I see someone totally different. And as much as everyone else tells me it's in my head it doesn't make it any easier. Its a horrible feeling so I know how much it would affect you. If you ever want to chat I'm here. Would love to speak to people who understand the way I feel! :)