Hello

Guest bluefrecklemi

Guest bluefrecklemi

Hi everyone,

I have been recently diagnosed with BDD, but have suffered with illness this since I was around the age of 6 or 7.

I had a horrible obsession with my teeth, hated them infact they were so ugly I used to press on them to try and straighten them (didn't work) but I was scared of getting braces as a child, so had them put on at 27. Treatment complete now and my teeth look miles better and I actually like them, but now I have become preoccupied with my skin. It is see through (I have very fair freckly skin) so you can see every vein in my arms, legs, neck and chest, and I blotch quite badly too. Also I think since having two teeth removed for the braces that my under eye skin is caving in.

Will this always be the way, that once one obsession goes another will pop up to upset me?

Also I think my fiance of 8 years is getting pretty tired of me and my very bad moods when I get depressed about this, as I am awful. I don't know what I can do anymore, he hasn't spoken to me for about 3 weeks properly and we live together. He won't talk to me.

Would be lovely to have help from someone who has had cbt, as I am still waiting to be referred to councelling about it.

Thank you and sorry to ramble on I don't have anyone to talk to who would understand.

Thanks

Bluefrecklemi

Guest PleaseAskMe

Hi everyone,

I have been recently diagnosed with BDD, but have suffered with illness this since I was around the age of 6 or 7.

I had a horrible obsession with my teeth, hated them infact they were so ugly I used to press on them to try and straighten them (didn't work) but I was scared of getting braces as a child, so had them put on at 27. Treatment complete now and my teeth look miles better and I actually like them, but now I have become preoccupied with my skin. It is see through (I have very fair freckly skin) so you can see every vein in my arms, legs, neck and chest, and I blotch quite badly too. Also I think since having two teeth removed for the braces that my under eye skin is caving in.

Will this always be the way, that once one obsession goes another will pop up to upset me?

Also I think my fiance of 8 years is getting pretty tired of me and my very bad moods when I get depressed about this, as I am awful. I don't know what I can do anymore, he hasn't spoken to me for about 3 weeks properly and we live together. He won't talk to me.

Would be lovely to have help from someone who has had cbt, as I am still waiting to be referred to councelling about it.

Thank you and sorry to ramble on I don't have anyone to talk to who would understand.

Thanks

Bluefrecklemi

Hi there.

My own understanding of BDD is that you will never be cured. Rather you tend to live with it. It's only in the last few years that I've managed to behave like a normal human being - well on the outside anyway! I still have my bad days tho. You need to be contempt with yourself. If you feel uncomfortable doing certain things then do not do them - going out on a friday night for example. Stay at home with your loved ones instead. Having said this you still need to do the normal everyday things, work, a trip to the supermarket etc. You have to do this under any circumstance, wether you feel normal or not.

Hope this helps.

Guest bluefrecklemi

Hi PleaseAskMe,

Thanks so much for replying to me it means a lot and has helped. It's reassuring to get another persons point of view who suffers with this. You are right I do need to learn to live with it and it not to ruin my life (hard when the obsession starts) as it has been doing. It has made me turn into a pathetic person.

Thanks so much :original:

Hi Don't-let-it-win, thanks so much for your reply also. I hope you receive your funding as soon as possible so you can get the help and support that you need. I am from Liverpool currently up North. How do you find living with this? Has the CBT helped you? Sorry for the questions I am just really interested.

Thanks so much :original:

Hi Bluefrecklemi

I dont cope very well with it at times. I spend most of my day with my mind all over the place, and cant concentrate. I hate trying to buy clothes... spent another whole day trying to find a pair of jeans, but will probably never wear them..... life is hard but poeple wont understand... so i keep it between me and my closest friends.