St John's Wort for OCD?

Hi folks,

I just wondered whether anyone here uses St John's Wort for OCD? Does it work? My OCD revolves around causing ham and causes me to see no light at the end of the tunnel. I was put on propranolol but I found this works better on the physical effects, and it's the mental effects I need more help with. I've tried anti-depressants before (fluoxetine and citalopram) and had quite adverse side effects on both. I've also used St John's Wort to help cope with wedding stress and it definitely made me more positive. Any experiences? I'm just a constant, blubbering wreck and want to find something to combat that bit! Thanks

FoosBoo88

I'm also a constant blubbering mess! Hello!

I take high dose vitamin b12, useful for serotonin production.

St. John's wort has many contraindications, so be careful that it doesn't knock out any other medication you're taking!

Magicat, thanks for your response. Do I need to see a GP before starting B12? Also, where do I source it? I'm very edgy about starting meds without asking a doc first! I think some good ol' serotonin is needed though..might make the blubbery days a few less?

If I give SJW a go, I can use propranolol still, I've checked that out with NHS. The only thing that that I used to take (which I no longer use) is the mini-pill.

I used it in the beginning when I started to take citalopram as that takes 4-6 weeks to take effect. I think it's in your system immediately but unsure how long it takes to take effect!

I still take it everyday. In the beginning I took it in the morning and at night.

If I give SJW a go, I can use propranolol still, I've checked that out with NHS. The only thing that that I used to take (which I no longer use) is the mini-pill.

SJW is not a treatment for OCD as such, so should NOT be used as a replacement for another form of OCD treatment. I would also not take SJW until you consult a GP, and I would not take it with existing medications.

Also, a note for ladies, I once read SJW can cause the contraceptive pill to be ineffective.

Hi Ashley, thanks for your response. I asked my GP if I can use SJW with propranolol before I left my appointment last time, just in case, and he said it was fine. Propranolol is the only medication I use at current, on bad days. I will of course mention I use SJW if I ever need any other treatments of any kind. I am using SJW more for the depression side of my OCD than the anxiety, the propranolol helps to calm down the flighty, edgy feeling. Rescue Remedy is pretty good and again, can be used with propranolol. It's more of a short-term solution though and doesn't do anything when your anxiety/depression is very bad. I personally use it when I can't get off to sleep and it definitely helps calm a racing mind.

You are right that it causes the mini-pill to be ineffective, so I have never taken SJW while on the mini-pill. However, the mini-pill contains a synthetic progesterone hormone called progestin which can (and did for me) make existing anxiety conditions,including OCD, worse. I was not warned about this, but it definitely contributed towards the problem for me. It's certainly something any ladies with a history of anxiety or OCD should be aware of!

Guest Sisyphus

Hi folks,

I just wondered whether anyone here uses St John's Wort for OCD? Does it work? My OCD revolves around causing ham and causes me to see no light at the end of the tunnel. I was put on propranolol but I found this works better on the physical effects, and it's the mental effects I need more help with. I've tried anti-depressants before (fluoxetine and citalopram) and had quite adverse side effects on both. I've also used St John's Wort to help cope with wedding stress and it definitely made me more positive. Any experiences? I'm just a constant, blubbering wreck and want to find something to combat that bit! Thanks

FoosBoo88

For what it's worth, I used to take SJW and I can't honestly say I noticed any positive effect on depression or OCD symptoms. Sorry - really wish it had.

Guest yinyang

I have tried it but it didn't work for me. Not to say it won't work for you though.

If your after something calming and herbal I really recommend Valerian root extract. As Ashley says check with your gp first

:yinyang:

How long can you use valerian for though? Frankly I'm a bit annoyed at GP practice, when hubby got attacked b a dog they didn't call back about triage appt and when I presented as a blubbering wreck and asked for an urgent appointment I didn't get one.

Caroline I'm not familiar with inositol, is it similar to propranolol? I'll have to look it up I think.

Guest yinyang

You can use valerian root for as long as you like I believe. It's one of the main ingredients in those kalms tablets.

You must check with the pharmacy or gp first though as it could interact with other medication you are taking

Guest yinyang

More than likely yes they probably do. I know I keep saying it but please do check with a professional first :original:

Also pills are a useful aid, they are no substitute for therapy

That's what I found before, too. SJW made me feel happier but because I felt happier the thoughts didn't get me down so much. Rather than it being "oh my god! What if! What does this say about me?!" My thoughts were more "bleh, stupid OCD. Whatever you say, I ain't listening" but my Mum said she thought it was a placebo effect and I really should go on SSRI's, also that I won't get so much help from NHS on SJW because it's an "alternative" to SSRI's and I can't really go running to them while taking it. Exercise and diet I do need to sort out as my gym buddy quit, so I sort of gave up too. Maybe reduce caffeine as well. I don't drink often but when I do have the occasional fruit cider I always feel worse a few hours after/next day. it's sort of like it's so good but it makes me feel so so bad. If they weren't already in the fridge I wouldn't have them. I only have 1 cider left but hubby doesn't understand how hard it is so he keeps buying me more thinking they will help me relax lol.

I use SJW every day. I consulted an eminent psychiatrist in London and she tried me on Prozac but I couldn't get to a high enough dose, found no benefit, and the side effects were horrendous. she has found benefit among her patients using it , where SSRIs are ineffective.

.She lets me use up to a maximum of 3 330mg tablets a day (but I'm a big guy) when I have an episode of OCD, otherwise I take one or too daily and it has a happy pill effect which helps me (its a mild ant-depressant) - I find it also really does help give me some mental shielding which assists shrugging off things that might otherwise bug me. (I'm an OCD thoughts sufferer)

It has no side effects other than acting as a stimulant so can't be taken in the evening or I don't sleep, and my doctor also lets me use propranolol when in an episode and that eases stress reactions.

BUT be careful, it interracts with many medicines and cannot be taken with certain drugs that work with serotonin such as SSRI's.

I took two myself this afternoon it's definitely put me in a better mood. Also ust taken my first 5-HTP before bed but I had an intrusive thought so feeling quite panicky at the moment, think it's indigestion related though!