The Man Who Couldn't Stop - OCD, and the True Story of a Life Lost in Thought (Book)

Guest OCD-in-ireland

Guest OCD-in-ireland

Hi all,

I have just recently finished reading 'The Man Who Couldn't Stop - OCD, and the True Story of a Life Lost in Thought' by David Adam, a recently published account of one mans experience of OCD. I thought it might be interesting to start a Topic about this to see if anyone else has read it yet and if so what opinions are out there?

The authors OCD revolves around fear of contracting HIV, but he interweaves his personal story with accounts of other types of OCD along with numerous anecdotes, theories, etc.

Guest Annabel

I'm on chapter 12 (a big achievement because my OCD affects my reading!) and am finding it very interesting so far, although at times it's more factual that I imagined it would be. What do you think of it OCD-in-Ireland?

Guest OCD-in-ireland

Hi Annabel,

Overall I enjoyed it and think that it gave a good view of OCD. It was my Dad who actually got it and he was really taken by it. So it also seems to work from a non-sufferer point of view.

Personally i thought some of it was a bit depressing and there were some triggers for me, but that is not the fault of the author. At times i think he definitely got a bit too technical and some of the anecdotes were a bit long winded and unnecessary. But overall I found it quite easy to read and could of course relate to his experience.

Guest sophie13

Haven't read it... funny, I'm s writer and it was my dream to write a book about my recovery. In the meantime I have a relapse... so, nothing to write about anymore. Maybe after I get over. When I get over it....

I have read it and it triggered me into a new obsession about schizophrenia, again not the authors fault.

I think he went around the bush a bit on some subjects, it was very historical so didn't really help me in anyway, but made me realise how far we have come in the treatment of OCD, I think back then we would of been locked away and lobotomised.

Would I recommend it, erm I don't know, I think its better for someone to read it who hasn't got OCD as far as triggers, but again its ok if you want to know the history of mental illness like OCD, that's what its aimed at,

Guest jayjay89

Haven't read this one, but I recommend 'everything in it's place' by mark summers - he is also an OCD sufferer and it's more of a comical look at his troubles in show biz - on one of his shows he had to get covered in grunge.... And smile... With OCD.