Im in holiday with my partner right now and in scared.

got my hair dyed brown. It smelled so bad of chemicals after.

washed it today and the colour kept running.

so scared for my hair to touch the plane seat.

if the dye is still on my hair in excess.

i cant handle it.

Like I said in the other thread, clothes are the same way. They are dyed also. Water is a solvent, especially hot water. The dye in clothing will also bleed when the clothes are new and you wash them for the first few times especially. Don't wash dark and light clothes together in hot water. Though dry dark clothes are fine next to dry light clothes. They can only bleed colour when wet. Same with your hair dye. Your dry hair is the same as your dry clothes. I'm sure you've always known this fact about washing clothes. You've always been fine. It's no different.

Don't ruminate.

This is so hard.

it rained a bit, then i touched my head.

i am just a mess and its,not fair on my partner.

this,morning i woke up my pillow smelt dooo strongly of hair dye.

Guest PaulM

Okay, this isn't meant as reassurance, but as information:

With a permanent hair colour, some remains on the outside of the cuticle. It always happens to me too. At first it worried me, but after going to hair school I found out why.

The simple version is the processing uses chemicals to increase the pH which swells the hair shaft so the cuticle opens up (imagine fish scales standing on end) and the hair colour can go into the cortex. When your hair is washed the cuticle closes up again and the chemicals and most of the remaining hair colour is washed away. The permanent hair colour is the pigment now in the cortex.

Some residual pigment remains on the outside of the cuticle. Over time, as with temporary or semi-permanent colour, this washes off.

Have you ever wondered why there are colour safe shampoos? They maintain a more neutral pH so the hair shaft doesn't swell and open the cuticle while your washing your hair and let the pigments wash out.

The smell of the hair colouring mixture is stronger than shampoo but remember shampoos are scented too. They are just more pleasant. If you really want a pong, go to a salon when the blue rinse mob has taken over and the waving lotion is out for perms. Ugh... ;)

Millions of people get their hair coloured. I knew clients who were there in every month having their regrowth touched up. Especially the "chemically dependent" blondes. ;) And we blokes have to go more often because we often have even less hair to work with.

Edited by PaulM
Guest PaulM

Does that mean i can lay my head on a sofa or pillow without worrying about the hotel maid touching it and ingesting it etc

It means your thoughts are the issue, not the situation. It's OCD.

How are you going to fight the thoughts?

Guest legend

Does that mean i can lay my head on a sofa or pillow without worrying about the hotel maid touching it and ingesting it etc

the dye isnt the issue gem , its the ocd that is

Whats driving you to ask these questions ? are you not able to recognise and acknowledge it when it happens >

rub your head everywhere , deliberatly , if you feel you can do it

Edited by legend

You cant be serious.

just got back to the hotel and washed my hair. The dye is still running in the water.

now my partner wants to go to sleep and im sitting here worrying about touching the tap, getting the towel wet with dye chemical and the cleaner touching it.

now in,sitting in the bed. Scared to put my head down because that means my hair touching the pillow then the cleaner touching it.

i feel compelled to ask these questions because the dye is still running when i wash my hair, therefore my hair isn't fully dry, how can i possibly lie down if a chemical is transferring.

Okay, this isn't meant as reassurance, but as information:

With a permanent hair colour, some remains on the outside of the cuticle. It always happens to me too. At first it worried me, but after going to hair school I found out why.

The simple version is the processing uses chemicals to increase the pH which swells the hair shaft so the cuticle opens up (imagine fish scales standing on end) and the hair colour can go into the cortex. When your hair is washed the cuticle closes up again and the chemicals and most of the remaining hair colour is washed away. The permanent hair colour is the pigment now in the cortex.

Some residual pigment remains on the outside of the cuticle. Over time, as with temporary or semi-permanent colour, this washes off.

Have you ever wondered why there are colour safe shampoos? They maintain a more neutral pH so the hair shaft doesn't swell and open the cuticle while your washing your hair and let the pigments wash out.

The smell of the hair colouring mixture is stronger than shampoo but remember shampoos are scented too. They are just more pleasant. If you really want a pong, go to a salon when the blue rinse mob has taken over and the waving lotion is out for perms. Ugh... ;)

Millions of people get their hair coloured. I knew clients who were there in every month having their regrowth touched up. Especially the "chemically dependent" blondes. ;) And we blokes have to go more often because we often have even less hair to work with.

i went to the hairdressers and got permanent dye.

after two washes its still running in the water.

im not used to that.

the maid touching the towel, or the pillow makes me so anxious.

im ruining the holiday

Guest Heryn.

Not going to answer that one. :)

There must be something you love to do and which makes you feel very relaxed. Where are you holidaying? What kind of plans do you have? Do you speak another language? Try not to let OCD spoil this for you. There is no such thing as complete reassurance; and yes - it's easy for me to say this right now because I'm not having a bad anxiety day.

I really hope you are able to get some help from therapy or meds just to break the cycle and give you some strength to see your fear for what it really is. :sport_boxing:

I don't really enjoy anything anymore.

this has took over for so long.

these threats feel so real to me.

even once i lie down, ill worry about getting a maid or someone ill. It doesn't go away.

my partner doesn't deserve this

Gemzi - there is only so much we can do to help you, we are all here to support you but the only person that can make this better is you.

You have to understand that it is ocd making you anxious with all these irrational worries going round your head. What do you think will happen other than you will panic more and more, post more and more and get the same responses. You NEED to have a word with yourself and start being stronger, you will be thinking you can never do that, this will happen that will happen etc you are well and truly stuck in a circle.

It is probably one of the hardest things you will ever have to do, it will be extremely un pleasant and you will feel like **** for a little whole TEMPORARILY.

Please try and keep in mind that you need to push yourself through this and be strong. You don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have - that is where you are, your only choice is to be strong and stand up to this rather than let it win.

You are strong Gemzi and you deserve to beat this and be able to live your life the way you want too, don't be ruled by your mind, you are in charge!!! Put your head on the pillow, rub your head on the pillow - this is where you start kicking this up the ass!!!!

Guest legend

You cant be serious.

just got back to the hotel and washed my hair. The dye is still running in the water.

now my partner wants to go to sleep and im sitting here worrying about touching the tap, getting the towel wet with dye chemical and the cleaner touching it.

now in,sitting in the bed. Scared to put my head down because that means my hair touching the pillow then the cleaner touching it.

i feel compelled to ask these questions because the dye is still running when i wash my hair, therefore my hair isn't fully dry, how can i possibly lie down if a chemical is transferring.

funny ive been a barber hairdresser for 30 years , still ok .

your call, ocd challenge or ocd challenges you

Finally lay down.

cant say it feels good.

just worrying like mad about it smelling of hair dye in the morning and the maid touching it and the towel i used yo dry my hair

Guest legend

Finally lay down.

cant say it feels good.

just worrying like mad about it smelling of hair dye in the morning and the maid touching it and the towel i used yo dry my hair

what about the person who applied it ?

Guest OCDelighted

Sorry it would appear I jumped the gun on that one, I checked and apparently they're fine.

Shocking eh?

Edited by OCDelighted

Gemzi, well done for laying down on a pillow.That is a good start to reversing the OCD.Make a hierarchy list starting with easier things such as laying your head on the pillow and then going to sleep (which you have already started on)and then move to harder things such as resisting washing your hair and move on to harder things later on such as deliberately wiping your hair on the pillows and furniture if you like.As you progress over a period of months you will be bolder at resisting the urges to check that the dye is coming out and will feel more at ease.In the mean time try to enjoy your hoilday if you can.Do lots of interesting things outside away from the hotel and see if you can get your mind to concentrate on the world around you instead of those internal thought

Guest PaulM

Finally lay down.

cant say it feels good.

:)

I'm really proud of you.

If you're feeling uncomfortable, OCD is feeling worse.

My therapists tell me it isn't supposed to feel good. Actually, they say if I wash my hands X number of times and feel clean I'm not pushing myself enough. They also drilled into me that we can survive those feelings.

And who knows? The maid might be getting her hair own coloured at her hairdressers. We don't know it - probably never will - but it doesn't matter.