IBS

Guest likesawash

Guest likesawash

Yes, its because the toxins get stored in the fat, maybe why you see the fat as yucky? Also, hard saturated fat, when you sweat, obviously its going to clog the skin and makes you feel really yucky (like sweating lard!) But liquid at room temperature fats, oils, dont give that dirty feeling in your skin. Irritable bowel is a doddle to cure!! And 100% cure i mean. Let me know if you need help with this, because a lot of what they say to cure IBS is twaddle. By the way, in India, the yogis treat the belly and navel with great respect because that is where the 'fire of life' is. And food, which is just basically thermal units, kindles that fire. So to avoid or escape food is to be avoiding your connection to life itself. That is why i avoided food, to escape life, but it was a false death-like peace when i withdrew, and cut me off from all relationships.

Irritable bowel is a doddle to cure!! And 100% cure i mean. Let me know if you need help with this, because a lot of what they say to cure IBS is twaddle.

I would be interested to hear your views on this, IBS as been something I have struggled with over the last year, although a change of diet, and drinking more water seems to have cured most of my problems.

Guest legend

I think there is a link to ibs and serotonin, serotonin not only controls

anxiety etc but it also controls the digestion,

at times of heightened anxiety it is common to have ibs and a upset tummy.

Guest likesawash

Yeah Ashley, half the world has IBS nowadays, because of wrong information. Ann, i will post it here instead of PM. Ok, if you speak to a consultant gastro-enerologist, they will confirm this. The fibre revolution is a hoax! First off, the bacteria feed off the fiber which causes the bloating. Also, certaim fiber is itself irritable. But fibre is the cause! So have a low residue diet. The worst is grain fibre. Avoid brown bread, and cereals. Avoid all legumes, so no beans or peas. And at least initiallly, avoid fibrous tomato skins, pepper skins, waxy fruit skins. Drink milk to produce mucins to lubri cate the intestines. Meat is ok, and cheese. Avoid citrous. After 2 weeks, the bacteria die, and intestinal lining recovers, and you can reintoduce foods. Pro-biotics are good, and a single morning coffee can help to establish regularity. It sounds contrary i know, but firm smooth foods travel that way, and fibre scrapes through. Wheat-bran is the worse culprit, even whole-wheat. You can eat wheat-germ if want the whole grain nutrition anyway, but high-fiber diets wreck lives!

Avoid brown bread, and cereals. Avoid all legumes, so no beans or peas. And at least initiallly, avoid fibrous tomato skins, pepper skins, waxy fruit skins. Drink milk to produce mucins to lubri cate the intestines.

I would agree with that about Brown Bread, every time I eat it, I have problems and since cutting it out of my diet I have been ok. But at the same time, I introduced breakfast bars into my diet, which have wheat, and they seem to help? The other thing I was doing, was eating two big meals a day because of overwork, and usually one of them would be late at night and I would eat fast, rather than spread my food across the day, and digesting it slowly.

Guest likesawash

Also if you dont get food out the bowels cleanly, those toxins get reabsorbed into the bloodstream making you feel yucky. But on a low fiber diet, you have an ultra clean bowel movement and feel great. On a fiber diet, you'd need a daily enema to be that internally clean, because it never is all removed. Then you get the bacteria working on that waste left behind, giving that sensation there.

Guest likesawash

Yeah some breakfast bars seem to be ok, maybe they have less fibre in than others. Or less wheat bran. And fruit and veg fibre usually ok, like sultanas in the bars. And oats are usually ok. In any case, once you recove, you can usually toletate cereals again. So i can eat cereals now, but all-bran is just evil incarnate! I can tolerate other foods now after the low residue diet. All kinds of things i could never eat before. And all the money i wasted on fibre supplements! Once a guy in hospital had bleeding bowel, collitis, and the nurses were giving him wheat-bran! The low residue diet cured him quickly though.

Thats very kind and i really do appreciate it but i find those topics just way too hard to talk and read about at the moment!!!!

I do appreciate it though and maybe like i said a seperate thread could be started as im sure there are others with IBS who wouldn't necessairly read this thread anyway who could do with the help!!!

Ok so i started a thread about OCD and ED's, which i am very grateful for the continuing interest and advice that has been offered.

However, it has also sparked the topic about IBS and i think that it is great that people can talk about this and maybe get some help but all the topics arising from this has way too many triggers for me and because part of my ocd is reading everything, i have to read all of my posts in my thread before i reply to any posts and i can't read these without getting in a bit of a state!

So, if anyone has anything related to any GI disorders such as IBS and wants advice or whatever then please use this as a starting point!!

Thanks x

I had IBS many years ago for about a year. I got checked out for other potential reasons, like gall bladder problems but it was finally diagnosed as IBS. My GP prescribed various medications, some helped a little, some not much and they all had some side effects like dry mouth etc.

Anyway, after about 9 months on different medications he recommended taking Oil of Peppermint tablets, not on an ad hoc basis but two tablets three times a day, every day. My IBS went altogether and never came back, even when I stopped taking the peppermint.

I have to say that I didn't make any adjustment to my diet....it seemed that stress was the main antagonist rather than food.

Peppermint tablets are pretty inexpensive and can be bought at health food shops....the straightforward, unadulterated tablets seem the best....the ones with fibre in or the capsules still caused a bit of wind and bloating.

I don't know of any contra-indications or side effects as I haven't researched them, if you have any concerns check with your doctor or a pharmacist.

Caramoole :)

Anyway, after about 9 months on different medications he recommended taking Oil of Peppermint tablets, not on an ad hoc basis but two tablets three times a day, every day.

My GP gave me them Caramoole, but I found they made me worse, so stopped taking them after couple of month, and looked at my diet instead, I guess it is like SSRi's, what works for one, wont for another :)

Guest likesawash

I was on a mucousless diet for several years ( sounds disgusting). This only gave me a stomach ulcer and contributed to IBS. Some people avoid dairy because it produces mucous, but the stomach wall needs that for protection. And it also lubricates the intestines. Linseeds do too, but they are very irritating. I drink peppermint tea, but only because its tasty. Fennel tea is meant to be good for gas, but i would sooner just eat less gas forming fibre. But i reckon some mental symptoms such as feelings of unreality could be triggered just by an over-loaded intestine and bad blood condition. Some at least.

Guest charlie75
So to avoid or escape food is to be avoiding your connection to life itself. That is why i avoided food, to escape life, but it was a false death-like peace when i withdrew, and cut me off from all relationships.

This topic is my biggest OCD fear, I take tablets (not anti d's) for this that my therapist doesn't agree i should have. I avoid food, have avoided it so much now that I find it hard to swallow or cope with the textures in my mouth, purely because of this fear.

If I could get rid of this fear of IBS/OCD (I dont know the difference anymore, haven't a clue) then I could cope with my OCD quite easily.

I know that you have listed the foods that we should avoid, and I'm sure you are right. I wish I had read this years ago before my OCD convinced me that all food was bad, the last 3 months have been a nightmare to seperate something that is medical to completely overreacting to food because of OCD. People watch me when I eat now, and ask me to just eat one more mouthful (like I tell my daughter to) just because I cant cope with what damage food does.

I hate this and it takes over my life. Sorry, for going on.