OCD Medication

Guest Caroline65

Guest Caroline65

I've recently come down off an anti depressant with help from my GP which I've been on for approx 14 years.

I was taking Venlafaxine 150mg once a day. I'm currently on 37.5mg one every two days. It's not been easy and I've had some not very nice side effects whilst reducing.

I wanted to see if I could cope without them but unfortunately I'm not coping well at all. Have had awful mood swings, cry at the drop of a hat! Very angry inside the next minute.

I've been told that there are much better antidepressants for specifically treating OCD. Please can anyone tell me the names of any that work really well from personal experience? The problem with OCD is that there is no magic tablet to make everything better is there? So much depends on therapy and the hard work that you put in yourself.

Guest legend

Hi caroline, and welcome .. :original:

Personally, i think meds are a trial and error basis, what works for one, doesnt the other.

I found amitriptiline, very useful for my anxiety, and like most meds, they are supposed to act as waterwings,

whilst we face up to our fears, using cbt.

Have you had any cbt.??

I noticed on your other thread, about resurance seeking, theres a good thread on it, in the helpful thread links

at the top of the page.

Also, the four steps is a good tool to have on board, link also at top, it helps you to deal with the unwanted thoughts.

There is also a link on the ocd uk homepage, a video, on the four steps.

hope you find the site useful, were a friendly bunch :original:

legend

Guest psychocandy
I've recently come down off an anti depressant with help from my GP which I've been on for approx 14 years.

I was taking Venlafaxine 150mg once a day. I'm currently on 37.5mg one every two days. It's not been easy and I've had some not very nice side effects whilst reducing.

I wanted to see if I could cope without them but unfortunately I'm not coping well at all. Have had awful mood swings, cry at the drop of a hat! Very angry inside the next minute.

I've been told that there are much better antidepressants for specifically treating OCD. Please can anyone tell me the names of any that work really well from personal experience? The problem with OCD is that there is no magic tablet to make everything better is there? So much depends on therapy and the hard work that you put in yourself.

I've got depression/anxiety with some OCD and have found Clomipramine/Anafranil to be the best yet.

(in the past I've tried Prozac, Paroxetine, Remeron, Effexor, Cymbalta, Celexa....)

Guest cat3711

Hi Caroline,

I was put on Citalopram initially, but found it didn't have a massive effect on me, although I know a number of people who it has worked really well for. I'm now taking Fluoxetine (Prozac) which had a much better result for me. I had no side effects from either.

Hope you find something that works for you soon, as the others have said, it's really trial and error on the most part.

Cat xxxx

Cat3711, interesting, I thought Cipramil and Prozac were of the same family and therefore worked the same way. Cipramil didn't work for me, either and Venlafaxin raised my BP.

Guest lilyelspeth

I've been on everything, Lexapro the longest, but I recently started taking aripiprazole with clomipramine and feel AMAZING. Better than I have in years. But as always, that doesn't mean it will work for you. Talk to your doctor.