Med question for repetitive thoughts

Guest lilyelspeth

Guest lilyelspeth

Has anyone had any luck with any particular meds for repetitive thoughts. I repeat thoughts (often when I hear something disturbing) over and over and over... in my head :xmas_sad: and have no luck. I'm hoping to start new meds in January when I see my doctor again. I know not everyone is the same, but I'm willing to try anything. Thanks!

Guest Charlotte

Hello :xmas_smile:

Medication is a very personal thing - what works miracles for one person may do nothing for another, and it's often a bit of trial and error when it comes to finding the right combination.

The main first line treatment for OCD is class of drugs called Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors... these work at the level of the chemical synapse, making sure that there's more serotonin sticking around. These are...

- Fluoxetine (Prozac)

- Fluvoxamine (Faverin)

- Citalopram (Cipramil)

- Sertraline (Lustral)

- Paroxetine (Seroxat)

If you've tried a couple of SSRIs without much success, there is a tricyclic antidepressant called Clomipramine which can be effective in OCD, although there are more side effects associated with this drug. There are also other combinations of drugs that can be used - adding anti-psychotics (which affect the dopamine levels) to an anti-depressant can be helpful, and it's possible to combine Clomipramine and an SSRI in some cases.

It's definitely worth discussing the options with your GP.

Lottie :xmas_lol:

Guest lilyelspeth

Thanks for the input! I have a call in to my psychiatrist, so hopefully I will hear something tomorrow. My anxious self couldn't wait until January! :xmas_wink:

Charlotte's right about results being very individual.

I have repetitive thoughts, and I found that sertraline and citalopram helped me, along with CBT of course. However, I only added the citalopram after finding the sertraline didn't do very much on its own except make me feel very tired. It's about experimenting to see what works for you, as I'm sure your psych has said.