Hey guys, new round here

Guest 2imon

Hey

Totally new to these forums and new to the world of OCD.

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me really. Is manic depression or bipolar in anyway related to Obsessive Compulsive?

Before I carry on, I've never been diagnosed as any of the above and any research I have done has been of my own as I'm not sure how to approach anyone about the subject really.

I've been out of employment (through my own doing) since June this year and left my job with perhaps an arrogance of thinking I could walk into any other job, which wasnt the case. About a month ago I started a job very similar to the one I had worked for 4 years previously and within probably an hour of my first shift I started to feel very stressed and very aggressive. I decided not to go back the following day but noticed some things were different in the way I was behaving. Basically I think it triggered of an anxiety attack as for the immediate weeks after it, I was stuttering in my speech, the one side of my body felt as if it was shaking but if you were to look at it physically it wasn't, if that makes any sense. I was subconsciously chewing the inside of my mouth without really knowing why and one of my eyes was constantly flickering. Basically I looked a bit of a mess. I put it down to claustraphobia as the place I was working was very intimate but in the run up to christmas it was packed. And with it being the third floor of a department store, there was no visible windows and it made me feel very uncomfortable.

I went to the doctors and was prescribed some tablets as it was put down to anxiety and a subconcious stress I wasnt partiucularly aware of. However my financial situation isnt great and I'm assuming this was to do with it.

This has since gone but in its place I've become very intolerable of certain things and very fearful of things I previously had no problem with. The latest problem I have is with personal hygience which pointed me in the direction of maybe thinking it was an OCD issue.

My own personal hygiene doesnt bother me, I mean I'm not the most polished person you'll ever meet, I can sometimes not shave for weeks and the state of my bedroom floor has a lot to be desired. But when its anyone elses, its a big problem.

I can only eat with certain forks and spoons and my mum thinks I'm crazy for it. I get freaked out by looking at toilets and push chairs for some reason, and if I see something that groses me out it can put me off my appetite for the rest of the day.

So on christmas day, my three young nephews came round with the family and kids being kids there was all types of picking noses and inflatulence and everybody in my family isn't put off easily so would laugh about it and make jokes about it and I found it quite offensive. So much so that I just became a recluse for the rest of the day and just sat in my room.

I came downstairs today and there was a potty (clean I must add) in the kitchen from when my youngest came around. And I cant look at it without thinking the same thoughts, salivating and getting completely grosed out by it. So I'm waiting for someone to move it before I go down there again.

My big problem with it is its just embarrassing. Its not the freaking me out bit I'm worried about, its the getting angry about it but not being able to explain it that I can't live with. Its becoming more and more obvious as I get older (I'm 23 now) that the older I get, the more fearful and intolerable I am about the world around me. Also in the long run, its things like toilet habits and talking about stuff like that is whats getting to me which leads me to ask the question 'will I ever want kids?'. It might sound like a slight over-dramatisation but it gets me thinking that if I dont cure this 'illness' then it will take over my life. In the same way the social anxiety has tried. The link I make with bipolar and depression is what I've always suspected myself as having without really getting it looked at or speaking about it. I'm just wondering if anyone sees any similarities with themselves about what I've said and what is the best way of trying to conquer these weird thoughts.

I could go on for days but I'm gonna leave it there. If anyone out there knows what I mean or can draw any comparisons then that would be awesome.

Thanks

Si

Guest unknowncaptain

Hi and welcome to the forums :xmas_cheesygrin:

OCD can make us anxious about loads of stuff, even totally random stuff like 'will I ever want kids?'. I'm not really sure what to say (I'm relatively new here) but I wish you luck with your problems.

There's loads of great guys on here that can help you, you've come to the right place. :xmas_smile:

Hi and welcome to the forums :xmas_cheesygrin:

OCD can make us anxious about loads of stuff, even totally random stuff like 'will I ever want kids?'. I'm not really sure what to say (I'm relatively new here) but I wish you luck with your problems.

There's loads of great guys on here that can help you, you've come to the right place. :xmas_smile:

thanks, you've made me feel very welcome :)

Hi Si - Welcome to the boards :)

Stress can definately exacerbate OCD symptoms and there are obvious links between the condition and depression. However I'm not so sure there's a link with either manic depression or being bipolar - To be honest I'm not altogether sure if having one condition predisposes us to having another (would be interesting to know if any research has been conducted in this area).

As I'm sure you'll understand we can't really give a proper diagnosis - but from what you write it does sound as though you have some OCD traits.

Unfortunately it is one of those conditions that can gradually escalate over time - but the good news is that with the right help 'the illness won't take over...' your life.

Would you consider having a chat with your GP? If it is OCD, they can then refer you for CBT and give you the tools for how best to respond to the thoughts.

We can't 'conquer the thoughts..' but we can learn how to respond to them in such a way that the condition gradually resolves itself, or at the very least we can feel a great deal better.

Also, take a look at the Four Steps HERE - they're a great outline for how to tackle the condition.

Welcome again, Hal

Hi 2imon,welcome to the boards :xmas_lol:

I cant diagnose only offer you advice.Im staff nurse in psychiatric unit.What makes you think your bi polar? You describe a lot of stress symptoms and agitation .There doesnt appear to be any elevation in mood or delusional ideation going on.

If your worried about being bipolar your best going to see your GP.From what you have written and this is only a personal opinion.NOT professional ,Id say you sound depressed .With certain types of depression you can become agitated which will in turn make you anxious and make the OCD symptoms worse.

If its any help 10 yrs ago I wakened one morning and had the physical symptoms you described that you had on starting your new job.I used to run a lot and keep fit.That morning my left side was paralysed and speech slurred and my eyesight was affected.It eventually went back to normal and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia which is triggered with stress.Im in no way suggesting thats what you have .Just wanted you to know that someone else understood how you felt.

Take care and hope you feel better soon .Hugs titania :xmas_lol:

Wow thanks Hal and Titania for your advice, I feel better already knowing there other people who have been through the same kind of thing.

In regards to your question Titania, about nine months ago I did suffer a lot from strange mood swings and I managed to work out it was almost periodic in terms of what time of the month it was. Haha yeah I know, male PMT I'm guessing!

But it would pretty much follow the same pattern and I almost got used to it and learned to live with it without professional help. Since then it hasnt really come back and my moods have been more stable. But like I said it seems like its almost been replaced with a more aggressive problem with OCD.

I will check out the stress symptoms you mentioned and I may have to go see my GP as Hal recommended. Although I always feel like I'm just wasting their time lol.

Thanks both for your help, I will let you know how it goes and keep you informed

:)

:hug: Hi 2imon,The best person to see about your mood swings is your gp.I know its difficult doing this face to face.But the more honest that you can be with him the faster you will get help.If you find it difficult write it down and that way if you find it difficult just pass them bit of paper.They deal with things like ocd and mood swings regularly so its no big deal to them.I ended up doing that.When I eventually went to gps I was a nervous wreck and found it easier to hand over my list of symptoms as I was quite distressed at the time .

I love yer humour LOL.You will find that humour becomes yer best friend with ocd .It helps if you can laugh at absurdity of it .

As for looking up symptoms on internet.Im sure it has its uses but can be scary to.Its too easy to self diagnose and get it WRONG.My son is proof of that one.He believes he is schizophrenic instead of having ocd.

Take care and keep in touch hugs titania

I just wanted to add that I have been diagnosed as being bi-polar and I know it is true because me off meds is one manic and angry person and my OCD flares with the moods, so it can co-exist. Hope this helped,

ravens