think I'm going insane

Guest penny0305

Guest penny0305

I can't bear another day of this.I am poking my teeth like mad with my fingernail and a screwdriver.my ocd centres around my teeth. I started Prozac three days ago but have never been able to tolerate ssris before and I am in constant panic.i've taken a clonazepam but it's not helping.I think i've become addicted to them and I'm terrified.i've always been so careful about before about things like that but the panic has been overwhelming and I've taken them every day for six Weeks. I am so scared I don't know what else to do. my life is a living hell and I can't see a way out

Guest penny0305

I feel so alone.has anyone any advice.waiting for doctor to ring me back because I don't think I can stand Prozac.I know they make you worse before you feel better but all.ssris send me crazy.

Hi Penny,

To be honest, I doubt Prozac would have any noticeable effect (both good or bad) after only 3 days, & it most likely psychological because of your current level of anxiety. I suffer the same when prescribed any new med, & it might be worth you asking your doctor to prescribe 20mg every other day for the 1st 2-3 weeks, as opposed to 20mg a day.

With regards to the clonazepam, make sure you tell your doctor how much & often you have been taking! I have had similar prescribed in the past, but only taken them as a very last resort. I found them okay in small doses, but if I over did it, I would feel depersonalised & then anxious about that, which does not sound too dissimilar to what you are describing.

Hopefully your doctor will get back to you soon, but I would get back on to them if you've not heard back by 16.00-ish.

In the meantime, try & relax, & all the best.

xx

Guest penny0305

Thanks. I've got a doctors appointment now at five. I'm covered in a rash now and the doctor left a message at reception to tell me to stop the Prozac straight away because of the problems i've had before with ssris. I told her before I was taking clonazepam every day and she didn't seem bothered because I was only taking half a tablet twice a day instead of the full one the psychiatrist prescribed. I'm scared because the psychiatrist thinks I have bipolar which is why ssris send me loopy. Said high anxiety can be a symptom of mania and wanted me to try lithium. I am so scared of trying anything else but I'm frightened I'm addicted to clonazepam now and the anxiety is withdrawal when it wears off. Feel like I've run out of options and I'm just stuck in this hell forever

I hope your appointment goes well, & I am sure you will get yourself sorted, so don't give up hope! :original:

Aside from lithium, I am sure there are loads of other meds available. I have taken a few meds for anxiety, which are used for bipolar also.

xx

Edited by felix4
  • 4 weeks later...

Being addicted does not necessarily mean you're in for a ride when you decide to quit. I used 4-6 mg clonazepam a day for a period of time and before that I used dizepam and oxazepam for many years, though I never considered myself addicted and there were days I did not use anything. I had to quit because the CBT program I'm trying to get into does not allow any use of benzodiazepines. I was taken off clonazepam and put on an equipotent doze of diazepam, which was about 80 mg a day. This dose was reduced by 25% a week. I wanted to go faster so I ended up with a reduction of about 35% a week. I had very little trouble with this gradual reduction. The problems came back when I was getting close to 0 mg, obviously. I used them for a reason. At any rate, I'm not using benzodiazepines at the moment and the process of comming off of them was rather painless. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe this is how it usually goes. I'd not worry too much about it just yet.