OCD and fear of vomiting (help)

Hi there everyone. For the past 5-6 years of my life I have had a pretty intense fear of throwing up/nausea coupled with OCD. I'm really paranoid and frightened of vomiting to an unhealthy point and it's terrifying. Last December I had the stomach bug and ended up having to go to the ER so due to that my fear has increased very highly.

I go to therapy now and am getting help and a little bit better but anyway my main problem is I also have very bad skin problems. I have acne and the dermatologist prescribed me a generic form of Accutane. I have had bad skin for such a long time and it's really damaged my self esteem so badly I'd do anything to get rid of it and have tried everything.

My acne is genetic and the only thing that cured my mom of her's is Accutane so I know this medicine is my golden ticket. The only problem is this medicine has the longest list ever of terrible side effects that could possibly happen, one of them being vomiting/nausea. This terrifies me so badly because although I know I have to take this and I want to I am terrified at the same time just knowing this could be one of my side effects and that my anxiety/OCD will probably increase a lot. There's no way to postpone taking this medication since I've done A LOT of testing in order to qualify in taking it and nobody can convince me not to.

I just don't know what to do about handling my vomiting fear when taking this stuff. I'm not sure if I should visit another doctor and ask for some type of anti emetic medication. I remember taking Zofran before after having the stomach bug and it helped me greatly when it came to worrying. I'm just really afraid what if it's not strong enough or is no help against medicine caused sickness. I'm really lost here.

OCD treatment says you take the Accutane, do not ask for other meds, resist the urge to ruminate about your condition and just accept that at some time in the future you may vomit.

Easier said than done, I know.

Guest Annabel

Hi Nicolette,

The OCD and emetophobia-free plan would be to do what Polar Bear suggested and just take the Accutane without taking an anti-emetic.

If you are too worried to do this then you could ask for an anti-emetic prescription- when I took fluoxetine (Prozac) my psychiatrist prescribed domperidone (an anti-emetic) to take with it. Zofran should work for drug-induced nausea/vomiting because it's often prescribed for that purpose (e.g. for hospital patients receiving certain treatments).

I hope either way that you get through this and your acne and self esteem improve :)

I have the same phobia so i really sympathise, I know how it can ruin everything. Polar Bear is right, to challenge the OCD/phobia you should take the risk and have the meds without asking for an anti emetic. It would be a massive step towards overcoming these issues if you could force yourself to do this. Good luck.

Guest Heryn.

Hi Nicolette

I suffer from nausea and also get sickness-inducing migraines so can sympathise. I tend to agree that anti-nausea medication can be really useful though I personally have tried quite a few kinds and found only a couple to be particularly helpful.

However, I do have to remind myself that if I am going to be ill then there is really little that can be done about it especially if I'm in the midst of a migraine. For this I usually take Buccastem but if it doesn't work... then it doesn't work.

Nausea/vomiting may happen, but it might not. Try not to let the OCD get a handle on something that for you could be positive. (Easy to say, I know)

all the best

Heryn