SSRI Stillbirth Link

This is quite a worrying report and I would urge any woman that is pregnant or still nursing and still on medication to consult their GP.

Use of a type of anti-depressant medication during pregnancy may increase the risk of a stillborn baby, research suggests.

A Canadian study of almost 5,000 mothers found those who used SSRIs were also more likely to have premature and low birth weight babies.

However experts said women should not stop taking medication without expert advice.

The study is published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

The researchers, from the University of Ottawa, compared the health of babies born to 972 women taking SSRI anti-depressants with that of babies born to mothers who did not use anti-depressants.

SSRIs, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors work by increasing levels of the mood chemical serotonin in the brain. They include Prozac.

The researchers found women using the drugs were twice as likely to have a stillbirth. They were also almost twice as likely to have a low birth weight baby.

Almost 20% of women who used SSRIs gave birth prematurely, compared to 12% of those who did not use the drugs.

Babies born to women using SSRIs were also more likely to have seizures.

The researchers said women should be fully briefed about the potential risk of SSRIs before taking a decision about whether or not to use them.

Charlotte Davies, of Tommy's, the baby charity said pregnant women could opt for other types of anti-depressant medication.

She said: "Whilst this study has found a correlation between SSRIs and pregnancy complications, it has in no way confirmed a clear causal effect between the two, so pregnant women should continue taking their medication as normal.

"Left untreated, the physical and psychological effects of depression can lead to problems during pregnancy.

"Sufferers of depression are far more likely to smoke, as well as lose their appetites and in extreme cases are more likely to attempt suicide, which can all have devastating effects on mother and baby."

Previous research has also raised doubts about the safety of using SSRIs while pregnant.

Last year Danish and US scientists found use of the drugs in the first three months of pregnancy was linked to a 40% increased risk of birth defects such as cleft palate.

That research also suggested that use of SSRIs in pregnancy raised the risk of a premature birth.

In a separate study, Spanish research found that babies whose mothers used SSRIs are at risk of being born with withdrawal symptoms.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency has warned doctors not to prescribe most SSRI drugs, apart from Prozac, to children.

This followed evidence that use of the drugs in young people might increase the risk of suicidal behaviour.

A spokesman for Eli Lilly, which manufactures, Prozac said the company had never promoted the use of the drug for pregnant or nursing mothers.

Guest rainbow

This is quite a worrying report and I would urge any woman that is pregnant or still nursing and still on medication to consult their GP.

Dear Ashley

this is very worring! but like you said the pros and cons have to be weighed up!!

I was taking serrataline, and then became preganant! I was very concerned the effects it had already had on my baby, as i was approx 8 wks when i found out. This ment that all the baby's vital organs had already formed

and has I have a history of still birth I was very very worried. I consulated my doctor asap! who at the time was not unduly concerned, however at 5 mths I went bk to see him for someting else and again asked him. he was very alarmed and rang the makers of this drug whom proceded to tell him that there had been cases where babys had been born with some of there digets missing!! I was deeply upset, but thankfuly had had very detailed scan at kings and got the all clear for my baby. However she was born prem because she had a rare clotting factor disorder! which required two transfusions. Thankfuly she is now a very active and happy if not some what naughty two yr old!

But I have to say there is a flip side to this. When I had to come of the drug and was not really happy to take any others, I did get the most alwful deppression through out the whole pregnancy, and then went on to have full blown pnd and ocd. The well fare of the unborn baby is vital, but also the mothers too which left un treated can be catapluted into depts of dispair through out her pregnancy, and not always but often is followed by the dreaded pnd and often tied in with ocd.

Cases should be looked at very carfully and parents should be given as much imforamtion as they require so they can make the right choices for them, but sometimes I guess this is always not possible( when some mums to be are so un well) they are not capable of making these choices

rainbow

Guest rpeders3

Hi Ashley.

Not to sound pessimistic, but I wonder what else they will discover about SSRI usage in the future. More and more, I find myself compelled to agree with Jeff Schwartz that medication should be used as floaters, to help someone in crisis until they can learn better coping skills. Very worrying, indeed!

Take care,

Randy