OCD special on Trisha tomorrow

Guest Kentish_cat

Guest Kentish_cat

Friday 14th April 2006

10.30am - 11.30am OCD SPECIAL

Ever feel the urge to race home and check the iron’s off? 10 times in a row? Tomorrow we have an OCD Special: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The doubting disease. We meet people who’s lives have been destroyed.

Guest h_777

This morning on the Trisha show it was all about OCD, sorry if anyone has already mentioned this, i did have a look at the posts but i may have missed it - anyway i found the programme pretty interesting, there was a lot of stuff i related to.

there were just a couple of things i particularly found nice to hear (well not that 'nice' but you know what i mean, made me feel better about myself!) One man said that he has problems with people touching him. He said that this is not really related to contamination fears it's just that he doesn't like the feel of other people touching him. This is exactly my problem. I always thought this wasn't ocd because it's not due to contamination fears. I don't really have problems with dirt and germs, i just don't like people touching me or brushing past me. there's something about the feel of it!! Half of this is due to my need for symmetry, if someone brushes past my right side i need to brush my left side, for example. It just doesn't feel right. I guess i don't like the thought of someone else being 'on' me if that makes sense!!! Does anyone understand this or am i talking rubbish?? :dry:

They talked about people's good numbers and bad numbers and if there was a particular reason why chose them. My good numbers are 3 5 7 9.... i prefer odds. 4 never feels good to me. I was wondering if anyone else has good and bad numbers, and do u know why????

Holly x

Edited by h_777

Hi Holly,

I didn't see the show but it sounds interesting. I don't like people touching me and it's partly to do with symmetry too but I also find it quite invasive. For instance, I was sitting on a bus next to a woman the other day and she was rummaging in her bag and kept touching my arm with hers and it really wound me up! I can't stand it. I do have contamination OCD but this isn't why I don't like being touched. I'm ok with people I know touching me most of the time, although sometimes I do have problems with that which are to do with my contamination fears. But I hate strangers touching me! I do just feel invaded. I especially hate sitting on trains next to big men who really spread out and take up more than half the seat.

I also have a "bad" number, which the number 6 - and I know why - it's because when I was young, a girl I knew told me she was sexually assaulted by 6 men. Ever since then I've seen 6 as a "bad" number; luckily it doesn't affect me now apart from feeling slightly uncomfortable sometimes.

With the symmetry thing Holly, we have to force ourselves to touch things on one side or be touched on one side and go through the discomfort. I know it's hard, but it's the best thing to do.

Rach xx

Guest jo7249

Hi ya all,

I missed the programme today as I totally forget it was on!!

Anyway, i've an obsession with even numbers especially 10.

I must do a particular thing 10 times.

Also, it annoys my symmetry when I touch other things and people and I always panic if I can't touch the object or person with the 'other side' - to even things out!

I don't think anyone likes anyone invading their personal space but when yoiu have OCD you are very aware of it.

Jo x x :lol:

Guest h_777

Rachie i think that's it, i do feel like it's invasion of my personal space. also there was a guy at my old job who had a habit of coming in and putting his hands on my shoulders: 'hi holly how's it going?' 'fine thankyou can you get off me please?!' I felt like he had way too much control over me by holding my shoulders! Yeah i think we tend to be hypersensitive when it comes to things like that too so we notice it more. I know Jo! it's so annoying when the thing or person u have touched has gone or walked off, there's no way you can touch the other side of them!!! But i guess that is a good thing as it means that we HAVE to not give in to the ocd tendencies!

Holly x

Guest milly

H_777 - take a look at the 'magic numbers' thread. I have good and bad numbers, but unlike you I don't like the number 10.

I only discovered this site today, so i didn't see the Trisha link. Does anyone know if and when it will be repeated? I saw one Trisha about OCD years ago...i wonder if it was a repeat of that? A lady on it was referring to her obsession with memorising number plates and the complex mental gymnastics of adding, making patterns with them and so on. I remember thinking 'wow, others do it too'. All of the OCD sufferers were discussing problems and it sounded like an alien language...except I understood it. Then I realised that you have to be a sufferer to really understand.

Does anyone know if and when it will be repeated? I

Hi Milly,

The show yesterday was a repeat of one first shown in 2005. I am sure it will be repeated again at some point, not sure when.

3 of the participants are users of the board.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BalletBabe217

Did anyone see it this morning on Channel 5?

I thought it was very insightful and an accurate view on life as an OCD sufferer.

Guest milly

Did anyone see it this morning on Channel 5?

I thought it was very insightful and an accurate view on life as an OCD sufferer.

No, I didn't see it either :wink: I missed the Trisha one too. I did post a message on here the other day asking if anyone knows of any up and coming programmes. Hayley Martin informed us of something that's in the making, but if anyone knows of anyting in the mean time, I can set sky plus for it!