Bizarre treatments

Guest milly

Guest milly

Has anyone's therpaist ever suggested anything to help, which in reality is really stupid? I started seeing someone when I was 16 and at this point, I was with the childrens' psychiatric department (after much arguing between them and the adult dept over where I should be).

1. First doctor suggested putting an elastic band on my wrist, like a bracelet, and every time I started to repeat actions or had a bad thought, I was supposed to twang it as a punishment. Not very good seeing as I was the one controlling the twanging.. how hard, or whether I did it at all.

2. Not sure if anyone has the same thing, but my rituals etc started because I was afraid of people close to be being hurt, or worse. The child psychologist suggested going home, sitting down for 10 minutes a day and thinking about death. :thumbdown:

Guest twoshoes

Don't knock it, both of these techniques worked for me. :a1_cheesygrin:

the band is not a punishment it is there to refocus you when you get caught up in loop. Thinking about the bad thoughts will help to diminish the anxeity. thr more you try not to think about something the more it becomes linked to anxiety, by letting the thoughts come you are taking away their ability to cause you grief.

I think you may need to ask your therapist to explain the methods they are using, its hard to beat ocd unless you have faith in the methods and your therapist.

take care

Edited by Guest
Guest milly

I know what you mean. But at 16 (I am now 23) it's difficult. Thing is, you don't always recognise the thoughts becuase they are part of your life. Don't realise you are doing it once it becomes part of routine. With regard to thinking about things that frighten you, I know that exposure to the thoughts will help but at that age, it was just fear and I couldnt do it. I was so bad at that point. I think the mental health services for children in this area were very poor at that time. I am sure that is why I nbever made a full recovery.