Hi all, new

Guest matty

Generally fell good in myself today, have been for the past few months,although I have my ups and downs.

Basically I think (I say this because im yet to be propally diagnosed) I have pure o, mainly intrusive thoughts about hurting other people.

Anyway im starting to doubt that I have ocd and maybe im just a bad person mainly due to my GP.I live in a small town with a very small doctors,I went to this GP and told him what I was going through and basically I had intrusive thoughts about hurting my girlfriend, he told me that he didnt think I had ocd basically because I told him I didnt have any compulsions, I was all okay untill I was about to leave then he said "just try not to stab anyone" which really upset me and made me feel a lot worse.

I was going to go down again but I dont think I can due to what he said previously,what do you lot think?

Guest smile

Hi,

welcome to the boards :original: .

I am sorry to hear how you were treated by your gp, he doesnt sound very nice at all. Is there any chance that you could see another gp. I think that would be helpful. Please do try not to be knocked back by this experience there are people out there who can help you.

Guest napo100383

Oh my god that is so ignorant im so annoyed with your doctor.I wonder if thats grounds for report,if he had told someone with lung cancer try not to smoke sarcastically the country would be up in arms.I hate ignorance.

You do have OCD ,i have pure O aswell it used to be about killing my family my parents mainly because at that time they were so important to me (they still are) but i was 16 n convinced id kill them thats what OCD does it grabs onto the thought your scared of the mieost.

I got over that one n now have the OCD thought what if i kill myself,which to be honest is worse than the other one but i found an UNDERSTANDINg psych who helped me about it.

If you are so scared of killing your girlfriend thats because ur not gonna do it..it really is and i know how horrible it is ive had it for five years but you should try the following exercise

write down your thought,rate if you believe it or not,if u say yes ask why do you beleive it the logical part of your brain wont have a reason for it.

Guest matty

Hi,

welcome to the boards :original: .

I am sorry to hear how you were treated by your gp, he doesnt sound very nice at all. Is there any chance that you could see another gp. I think that would be helpful. Please do try not to be knocked back by this experience there are people out there who can help you.

I could be im scared im just going to be told exactly the same, the GP I last saw didnt really have a very good knowledge about ocd.

I could be im scared im just going to be told exactly the same, the GP I last saw didnt really have a very good knowledge about ocd.

wow i am shocked is there another gp you can see

he told me that he didnt think I had ocd basically because I told him I didnt have any compulsions, I was all okay untill I was about to leave then he said "just try not to stab anyone"

Wow Matty, he sounds like a great GP :wontlisten:

Unfortunately, although most are getting up to speed, there are still some doctors who are pretty clueless, yours looks as though he may be amongst them. The thoughts you describe are almost certainly OCD, the compulsions with Pure 'O' are usually there but not as we know them like the physical ones. When you have a bad thought you may mentally think 'I'd never do that' or 'I'm a good person', something to comfort yourself or convince yourself that you'd never act on the thought, they're usually much more subtle and often unidentified.

His parting shot was probably meant as a joke, tactless I agree but it's so poor I wouldn't waste any time analysing what he meant by it.

I would take a look at the home page OCD-UK and print off the information in the link "What is OCD" If you scroll down you'll see a bit about Pure 'O'. You could also take a look at this link OCD Screening

I think it would be an idea to make another appointment, preferably with a different doctor and go armed with some printed off material. Perhaps you could take someone along who you trust to give you a bit of moral support.

It would probably help if you could afford to invest in a good self-help book, they might also help you convince this dinosaur what OCD is. Imp of the Mind by Lee Baer is particularly good for an explanation of Pure 'O' as is Brain Lock by Dr Jeffery Schwarz.

It's awful when you've plucked up courage to seek help and are then let down by professionals who really haven't got up to date. Don't let it put you off, you deserve the help that is your right.

Take Care

Caramoole :)

Guest milly

I have been diagnosed with OCD, but I just had a look at the OCD screening test to see what it said. Obviosuly, it said I have it but I was pleasantly surprised by the 'symptoms' listed; do you re-read, re-write or re-open letters and envelopes befre sending them. I was surpised that others on this forum did it, but to have it as a question on a natinal screening test - didn't realise it was such a common symptom. Also avoiding colours i.e red (associated with blood) and so on. Very interesting.

Matty - the screening test is in separate parts. One regarding compulsions and one regarding obsessions., Each is scored seaprately, therefore you can have OCD if you suffer from obsessions and not rituals etc. My started with rituals but is now obsessing. Try another GP. It's no joke. They wouldn't tell someone suicidal 'not to go killing themselves' would they. Stay strong x

Guest milly

write down your thought,rate if you believe it or not,if u say yes ask why do you beleive it the logical part of your brain wont have a reason for it.

That's a good point - I know my thoughts are irrational but actually trying to question it rather that just thinking what I am doing is pointless (frustrating myself further). So simple, yet so effective :thankyousign:

Guest matty

Thanks for the comments :a1_cheesygrin: would avoiding knifes etc etc not liking holding them be a compulsion ? I even avoid looking at them

Avoidance of knives is very common. At the beginning of my OCD it was a biggy, I'd put them away, right at the back of the drawer.....Why, I don't know, it's a bit daft really because I could have got them out quite easily, I suppose the irrational bit of my brain just thought if I 'flipped' (which never happens, of course) they weren't handy.

Knives don't bother me at all now, nor have done for a long time.

Caramoole :)

Knives used to really bother me, too. I'm ok with them now mostly. Although I do get thoughts when I'm using one sometimes, I can dismiss them.

By the way, welcome to the boards, Matty! I just read your other post too and I'm glad you're being referred to someone who'll hopefully be of more help than your GP.

Rach :)