Guest Automated Alice

Hi jo

What vanillablini has said sounds like a good idea, if you went you may meet others who may be going through the same emotions as you are, and they will have other options to explore, like distraction techniques, etc

You could always ask your friend who you have told about he SH to go along with you?

If i was better I would like to have gone with you

It really sounds like something worth considering :mad:

Alice xx

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought i'd write this down even though its a completely useless piece of advice. Just makes me laugh when i think of it!

When i was in hospital, one of the nurses used to give me sachets of tomato ketchup and made me put it on my arm whenever i felt like cutting.

I used to feel like a right idiot walking round the ward like that. It didnt help me, but might do someone else..maybe not

Tastes ok though :hug:

Thanks peeps :)

I think what Automated Alice and Whitebeam suggested would be a good idea to contact your therapist and see if you can make an appointment sooner.

He said he would phone me tomorrow. Not looking forward to it but I know it's probably necessary.

On the web page of the National Self Harm Network I saw a counselling centre in Manchester listed called 42nd Street. I'm not sure, you mentioned a self help group some time ago, whether it's the same. But it says that it is a counselling centre specifically four young people like yourself, between the age of 15-25.

And it's not only for help about self harm but for all sorts of other problems too.

I did get a referral to 42nd Street a while ago (I think it was last June-ish) and I was on the waiting list but I decided to go back to see my psych instead.

You could always ask your friend who you have told about he SH to go along with you?

If i was better I would like to have gone with you

Thanks chick :shutup:. There is a SH group in Manchester called SHUSH but to go I would have to tell my parents where I was going and they wouldn't understand.

Just thought i'd write this down even though its a completely useless piece of advice. Just makes me laugh when i think of it!

When i was in hospital, one of the nurses used to give me sachets of tomato ketchup and made me put it on my arm whenever i felt like cutting.

I used to feel like a right idiot walking round the ward like that. It didnt help me, but might do someone else..maybe not

Tastes ok though :)

:) I have heard similar things suggested :) Thanks for sharing :)

Gonna write another post now so as not to wreck this vaguely positive one :)

My psychologist once told me she'd been working with someone who self harmed by cutting and she had learned to replace the cutting with applying ice, which caused discomfort but was not harmful. Not an ideal 'cure' but a much healthier strategy than cutting :huh:

Guest Dragonfruit

Hey Star

Really hope you've cleaned the cut up by now - if not please make sure you do. I know everything hurts at the moment and I totally understand why you're cutting but you really need to make sure you're treating the cuts if you can't stop yourself doing it.

I really wish I had some miracle cure for you - but you're strong - you can stop this. Just please take care of yourself

Oooooodles of hugs to you

I did clean it up but it was an OCD reason not because I wanted to. But it got done, which I suppose is the main reason. tbh I don't see any reason not to cut. I don't care about hurting my body any more. The pain shocked me a bit this morning but not enough to stop me cutting again I don't think. I really need to get out of this rut I'm in or whatever it is. But I don't seem to be able to I don't think.

Things are making we want to cut a bit. My arm has some very visible scars that will take a long time to fade and some other marks that are healing nicely, so it looks better than maybe it has for a little while. But I want to cut :). :help: please

But I want to cut

Noooooo you don't, this is your illness talking and not you. Think of it as a little devil sitting on your shoulder and tell it your going to ignore what is says....that's what I try and do with my intrusive thoughts :)

Catherine :)

Ok ive wanted to write this for ages,but have a feeling that this message may be deleted?

Reading through your posts, whats screaming out at me is Borderline Personality Disorder. I know that the words Personality Disorder sounds frightening and horrible, but its not as bad as it sounds. It doesnt mean you have a bad personality, its just a name. Its quite a controversial diagnoses because its so complex but a lot of people have it.

Your self-harm, suicide attempts and especially your feelings that you are unlovable seem to be classic Borderline symptoms. I may be completly off the mark, but everytime i read your posts i feel as if i have to say something to you.

I haven't time at the mo to list all the symptoms here, but have a search sometime? I'm sorry if you'd rather i hadnt written this, i can just see bad you've been feeling at the moment and think its such a shame.

Hope you're ok x

Just for everyone's info really

There's a piece coming up on This Morning about a girl who has been a self harmer for 15 years. I'm gonna watch it and see what it's like.

Anyway, wanted to let you all know :thumbup:

Just for everyone's info really

There's a piece coming up on This Morning about a girl who has been a self harmer for 15 years.  I'm gonna watch it and see what it's like. 

Anyway, wanted to let you all know :thumbup:

32111[/snapback]

Her arms were awful, I thought most self-harm was more light scratches? The girl on This Morning had really deep cuts.

Guest Dragonfruit
Her arms were awful, I thought most self-harm was more light scratches?  The girl on This Morning had really deep cuts.

32124[/snapback]

I don't know about other people - but I know I have permanent scars that will never heal. If it were just light scratches I wouldn't have thought there would be so many people with so many permanent scars? Maybe I'm wrong?

Her arms were awful, I thought most self-harm was more light scratches?  The girl on This Morning had really deep cuts.

32124[/snapback]

I don't know about other people - but I know I have permanent scars that will never heal. If it were just light scratches I wouldn't have thought there would be so many people with so many permanent scars? Maybe I'm wrong?

32133[/snapback]

I don't think you're wrong at all, DF :thumbup: . I'm lucky (?!) in the sense that when I do it I only tend to use my finger nails and so don't go deep enough to do any damage, but I know of people who have scarred their arms really badly from cutting with razors/glass/knives etc.

I thought the piece was really good although Gloria Hunniford didn't seem to 'get' it at all. The agony aunt was full of good, sensible advice as usual, though.

I didn't see it so I can't comment on that. From my own experience I have had some very minor scratches but there have been a couple of times when I have really gone for my arm with broken glass and have needed steri-strips. The person that put them on for me said later that she had been wondering whether she should take me to Casualty to get them stitched. I have some not very pretty scars from it. Eventually they will fade I think but I don't think they will ever go completely. I also have other scars from SH but they have faded OK and hopefully will eventually go although I'm not sure.

Random point about SH...apparently the severity of the injury isn't linked to the amount of distress the person's in - someone who does only a little damage can be in as much distress as someone who needs stitches etc

• 2 weeks later...

After not self-harming for 2 weeks and 4 days I have just cut :blushing:.

It is only very minor and I am sure it will stop bleeding soon. Maybe I'm being OCD-ish but the thing I made the cuts was 'contaminated' but I dunno if it really was or not. I didn't even get any sort of good feeling from doing it really, maybe for a few seconds but that was it :).

:):whistling:

Guest Crispie

NS--

I am SO GLAD you posted this and were honest about what you did. I also did some self-harm about a week ago, and am not sure what came over me. :whistling: I had been self-harm free for quite a long time. Sometimes I think it is hormones, not that it excuses anything. But, you know what I figured out from this cutting this time...I NEEDED to forgive myself, start over clean, and go on. I HAD to put it behind me as STRONGLY as I was able.

The problem with that this time was that it DID give me the rush, and THAT is the scary part to me. When it doesn't it is easier for me to say, "Why the heck did I do this??" So, you have a step-up, so to say. Take advantage of it. But, either way, just PLEASE, forgive yourself, and go on.

We all care a whole lot about you. Just take it a few minutes at a time, a day at a time, whatever works, but just forgive yourself and start over. Best wishes, dear friend. Take gentle care--Crispie :blushing:

After not self-harming for 2 weeks and 4 days I have just cut :(.

It is only very minor and I am sure it will stop bleeding soon. Maybe I'm being OCD-ish but the thing I made the cuts was 'contaminated' but I dunno if it really was or not. I didn't even get any sort of good feeling from doing it really, maybe for a few seconds but that was it :(.

:(  :whistling:

33583[/snapback]

Hi Starxx

So sorry to hear that hunny ((Hugs))xx

Don't give up hun, Try and see this as a blip- You have been doing really well :) :blushing: xx It is good that you didn't get a good feeling from it mate- I think that is v.positive.

This is just a blip , You are doing so great and you will get through this :) and we're all 100% behind you :) all the wayxx

Take good care

Keep talking about things hunny, that always helps me

Love Bluexx