OCD on TV

Guest milly

Guest milly

Just wondering if anyone knows of any programmes or documentaries coming up that deal with the issue of OCD? I saw a few on Discovery a few years back, but i haven't seen anything since. I know they are staring with it on Holby, but I was thinking more real people's experiences like Trisha or docmentaries.

Hi Milly

There was a two-part Channel Four documentary last Summer called "The House of Obsessive-Compulsives" which was run in conjunction with the Maudsley Clinic (I think). It was narrated by actor Christopher Ecclestone who was the Ninth Doctor Who, and on screen there were some good mental health professionals led by Professor Paul Salkovskis.

They have done quite a few OCD documentaries over the years. I can remember one Horizon documentary about a lady with contamination / hand wash issues: this was way back in the 70's or 80's.

Best wishes

Tez :cool:

Guest Fallen Angel

Hi,have you tried googling Obsessive Compulsive Disorder on T.V? You could also e mail the BBC etc..I would imagine.Also,you can order the film¬Dirty Filthy Love` about a guy with OCD from Amazon.co.uk. Sam

Guest Dippy

It's also been featured in Hollyoaks - not sure if the storyline is still going....

No it's not. The character has left the show I think?

This isn't about documentaries, but did anyone see Michael J. Fox's character on "Scrubs" ?

I guess they treated the subject sympathetically. There was a line from the main character "Newbie" that said something like, the everyday worries of most of us seem petty when you have to live with something like that (OCD.)

Guest Aquarius

Their is a Character on 'doctors' on at 2.05pm each day (I am a SAHM, so I get to watch daytme tv sometimes!) called Jimmi he has OCD compulsive washing (particulary his hands) it is not featured in many episodes, but I think the storyline is only lurking in the background at the moment.

Aqua :yes:

Guest HayleyMartin

hi

just noticed this thread. i have some people coming to my house on wednesday to film me under going cognitive behaviour therapy for my ocd. they are gonna film an example and then present it to bbc1 i think, in order to hopefully film a six part series on treatments for ocd. i'm the guinie pig, don't know how it's gonna turn out, cause my ocd is real bad, but at least it will present in a true light just how disabeling this disorder can be, and hopefully how effective the treatment can be as well.

will let you know and keep you posted in case any of the cbt is useful for others.

lots of love hayley martin :haha:

Guest milly

hi

just noticed this thread. i have some people coming to my house on wednesday to film me under going cognitive behaviour therapy for my ocd. they are gonna film an example and then present it to bbc1 i think, in order to hopefully film a six part series on treatments for ocd. i'm the guinie pig, don't know how it's gonna turn out, cause my ocd is real bad, but at least it will present in a true light just how disabeling this disorder can be, and hopefully how effective the treatment can be as well.

will let you know and keep you posted in case any of the cbt is useful for others.

lots of love hayley martin :haha:

Thanks for letting us know hayley. I admire your strength by allowing your story to be shared with others. I have bno doubt that it will encourage those who have not been officially diagnosed to actually seek help, those who are 'just getting by' to do something further about it and will be such a relief to those who don't even know other epople have the same symptoms and that they can be helped.

All the best with it. Keep us posted x

i watched a really good one resently titled extraordinary illness

Do you remeber what channel is was on?

Guest danaeonyx

Their is a Character on 'doctors' on at 2.05pm each day (I am a SAHM, so I get to watch daytme tv sometimes!) called Jimmi he has OCD compulsive washing (particulary his hands) it is not featured in many episodes, but I think the storyline is only lurking in the background at the moment.

Aqua :yes:

I saw an episode where he had a panic attack in a lift when it had broken down. I like the character :)

And as for Cameron in Hollyoaks - wahh I liked him! And they got rid of him!!!