OCD AND HISTAMINE

Guest legend

Guest legend

HI i have been looking into reasons why we suffer with ocd( i have pure o) and i looked into the chemical histamine. WE all have this in our bodies but people with a high level of histamine tend to have allergic reactions dust pollen etc and they also are hyperactive suffer with headaches difficulty concentrating.

Would be interesting to know if there are fellow sufferers like myself.

If you type histamine into your search engine you will amazed with the link of high histamine levels and some of our traits.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grant

Interesting... Do the Anti-histamine tablets reduce the ammount of histamine in the body, or do they increase it? I do get quite bad hayfevour and have taken Anti-histamine before, but don't really know how it works?

I havn't tried anti-histamine with Prozac yet, as I a bit worried I might fall asleep??

I'm using Happinose at moment which stops Pollon from going up your snout, so far anyway....

Guest legend

Yes the anti hist do reduce the histamines. Since i was small i always had hay fever and asthma and the symptoms of a high levels of histamines not sleeping etc(have you read about high histamine levels yet?)

Very interesting!!!

Guest Grant

Hi,

No I havn't read up about histamine yet... I have a worry that the more I know, the more i worry I',m on the wrong treatment or should I be trying something else? Oy maybe the Histamine thing is the 'Golden' answer I've been looking for :o)

Do you know what I mean? When I go to Boots and look at Herbal cures for things, I 'm never know what I should take or try. I did try St John Wort, but then worried that I was self medicating and not receiving proper help. Thats why I'm sticking with Prozac, although some nasty side effects (people keep telling me I can try lots of different meds, but I really don't want to keep going back to the Doctor and spending weeks coming off one meds, and then waiting weeks for another to start.)

Sorry to change subject slightly and ramble on a bit...

Guest Fallen Angel

Hi,Very interesting legend,as I have had hay fever and astma among others since the age of 16.How do you think there would be a link though,scientifically speaking? Sam.X

Guest legend

The links are that people with high histamine levels are prone to compulsions, rituals, depressive episodes,

sleep lightly,have long fingers and toes,tolerate alchol easily!!!

http://www.iwdl.net/histamine.htm is the website with all these details. MAYBE A TRIGGER !!

Im not saying its the cause of ocd but it is interesting how the symptoms are alike!!

Edited by Guest
Guest legend

I take them sometimes as i have rhinitis(all year allergy). They help me feel a little bit better but i found it amazing the facts that high histamine levels make people feel differently to others.

It would be interesting to know wheter research has been done into whether it has any effects with ocd

and its symptoms.

Just to let you know i also take verapamil which is a calcium channel blocker for my pure o and it helps me

a lot. My ocd started because i suffered with a rare type of migraine(apparantly your serotonin level drops when you have migraines) left untreated it led to anxiety and then ocd!!

At least i am a lot better but it does raise its ugly head now and again!!

Guest legend

There is a name for people who have excessive histamine in there system and it is called HISTADELIA.

It has been proven that people with high histamine levels are prone to have ocd and depression and i wonder how many sufferers have got high histamine levels without Knowing!!

Interesting!!

Guest kitkat

Interesting topic here. I suffer from terrible year-round allergies. Just had the testing done and it seems I am allergic to the planet. I began taking allergy shots and then began having panic attacks and had to stop. I am now on a med called Remeron and apparently it affects histamine in some way. It's peak allergy season now in my part of the world and I've never felt better....would like to look into this more.

i'm allergic to all sorts too - had the scratch test as a teenager, and reacted to pretty much everything :blushing:

i went through a few courses of desensitising injections, but still get allergic near dogs, cats, trees, flowers, dust etc.

i take an antihistamine (neoclarityn) every day, which definitely helps, and also a nasal spray called 'Nasacort' during hay fever season...

used to get really bad headaches too, but found that clonidine helps keep them at bay...also helps some of the prozac side-effects...

Guest legend

When you take anti histamines it reduces the amount of histamine you produce, but you still can have a high

histamine level in your your brain. This then can lead to various symptoms which can trigger ocd.

The only way to know if your histamine levels are high is thru a blood test. To reduce the histamine you have to go on a strict diet and take medication for a year.

IF this helps only one person it will be magnificient!!!

Guest EdinburghLad

Hi legend, thanks for this info, very interesting, have you had the teast done yourself? Do you know if you have to go into the clinic to have it done or is it a home test?

Guest legend

No i have not had the test done yet but,it is normally done by blood samples, then you have to change your

diet etc. It is interesting especially after reading about it and how alike the symptoms are!!

Hope this helps

Guest Fallen Angel

Well I have tiny hands and feet,and being only 5` 1" I`m not able to drink like a fish...( What`s that Stu?....) :whistling:

• 2 months later...

Interesting... Do the Anti-histamine tablets reduce the ammount of histamine in the body, or do they increase it? I do get quite bad hayfevour and have taken Anti-histamine before, but don't really know how it works?

I havn't tried anti-histamine with Prozac yet, as I a bit worried I might fall asleep??

I'm using Happinose at moment which stops Pollon from going up your snout, so far anyway....

Q.Do the Anti-histamine tablets reduce the amount of histamine in the body

A.No they just block the effects. L-Methione does.

• 10 years later...

Oh dear, how sad to see this unhelpful thread resurrected from the deep. :( 

It's natural to want to know what causes OCD, but when it comes to brain and body chemicals lets remember that it's a complex area and often impossible to separate chicken from egg in whether an altered level of something is the cause or the result of the disorder it's proposed to be associated with, or even whether the observed association is simply chance and irrelevant.

Association doesn't mean cause. :no:  Sharing some common symptoms doesn't mean two conditions are related.

36 minutes ago, ashipinharbor said:

For what it's worth, I took a normal dose, last night, and I did have a decrease.

To have a noticeable benefit after one dose suggests a placebo response rather than evidence of efficacy. 

Let's not get carried away with trying untested remedies, folks.

And lets not get distracted from the serious business of getting ourselves well by jumping on every passing bandwagon that seems to offer a magical cure. 

If antihistamines were the fixative we'd all be advising to take them. This us another red herring, like the myriad of supplements people have taken that also don't work.

Edited by PolarBear

From reading your posts, ashipinharbour, it's clear your OCD symptoms fluctuate considerably through the course of a single day and from day to day. Therefore, how can you be sure the drug you took (for whatever reason you took it) had any effect on your OCD at all? It's illogical to assume any improvement you noticed was the result of the drug and not just part of your usual fluctuating symptoms. 

As I said above, it's a common mistake to assume cause and effect, especially when hoping for (or expecting) a result, or when looking for evidence that something does work. The scientific approach is to evaluate evidence on its own merits, not to try to fit the results into the observed outcome. 

But, hey, you noticed an improvement, and even though I personally am convinced it had zilch to do with histamine, I'm pleased you feel better. :) 

I'll continue to caution people to not expect miracles from untested and unproven meds and supplements. We don't need people getting their hopes up over these things. We know what people need to do to get on the road to recovery and we'll keep pushing these tried and true methods.

You're convinced it works without even considering the possibility the improvement in your symptoms was coincidental and you're going to commit to taking this drug regularly on the basis of one dose that may have had no actual benefit on your OCD at all. :unsure: 

Ok, your choice, but can you see the leap of assumption and the gap in logical thinking there? 

I second Polar Bear in urging caution to others reading this thread not to be waylaid by untested remedies of any kind which have no scientific study evidence to prove they work.

1 hour ago, ashipinharbor said:

I think it could help, taking antihistamines to reduce OCD-like symptoms.

If you think it helps, go for it but don't expect your OCD to be improved at all.

The fact this is this is a 11-year old topic and the subject's rarely been discussed elsewhere on this forum ever since, that should tell you all you need to know! 

1 minute ago, ashipinharbor said:

This forum doesn't have the answers, nor is it the only place for reliable info.

The point is, if this was a reliable way forward for OCD do you not think the subject would have been raised on here in that 11-years? 

If you want to go for it, go for it but please don't expect this to be a miracle OCD recovery option.

Just now, ashipinharbor said:

What about that other guy, who had the surgery? 

It worked for him, but y'all were too skeptical to consider it.

He still has OCD though from what I recall. Hopefully his life's improved now and long may that continue.

Look, what do you want us to do, do you want us to all agree with you? Encourage you to say this is the best thing ever?  You seem to be reacting rather angrily to the fact we are not all jumping up and down agreeing with you?