I was reading in a pshychology book when I was doing some research and came across a bit about OCD. It put forward a point that I found quite interesting. Bascially, it seemed to suggest that OCD can be linked to a 'survival' type gene and it went on to explain that, obviously a long time ago, it would make sense that our ancestors who survived developed this type of gene as a means of survival. It said something like the ones who could wash their food and check and make everything 'safe' would give themselves the best chance of survival. I never thought of it like that before. Makes sense, I suppose.

Guest liquorice

...and hoarding any bits and pieces "in case it might come in useful" makes sense in times of scarcity or famine too! I think there is something in this theory Fruitloops :thumbup:

that interestin maybe my suicide fear is survival based

It very likely is, that's why it's a fear and scares you so much. Ultimately, it's the fear of losing complete control and doing something you absolutely 'don't' want to do, that makes it so scary.

You won't though

Caramoole :)

Guest demonfight

Hey Fruitloops

That's something i have thought a lot before.....I was thinking f.e that in the plague era(i think in 1348 A.C.) with the calamity in Europe,the ocders or people with such behaviors would have the best probabilities to survive....

Maybe a higher forthough looked ahead ,in such eras, that the people who had all these good qualities we find in ocders should survive(for the progress of the humanity or something)somehow with someone working (for the circumstances)mechanism.

Maybe the above people developed this themselves through an evolution mechanism and maybe it passed in next generations through this gene.....

Who knows?

Apollon :)

p.s. What is the name of the book you mention?

Guest milly

How interesting! So we`re all normal and everyone else is nuts!Excellent.... :haha:

This is great! Seriously, there is a lot of susbtance iin that argument. Does that mean primates could also be found to display OCD behaviours today?

Guest jessica

good therory for people with compulsions, but what about people with intrusive thoufghts of harming etc?

did the article say anything about that?

Guest pippa09

I am not convinced, basically we survive or learn to survive by exposure to a risk, a virus or a given situation and NOT by avoidance. I know that this is not a hard and fast rule but generally this is true.

The problem, I suppose, is that as someone has already touched on ocd is more than one 'thing'. To some it is obsessional, to some it is intrusive thoughts etc. etc.

Interesting thread though....

Pippa.

p.s. What is the name of the book you mention?

Er, not sure exactly. Sorry, can't remember. It was a thick green one I think. I'll try and find out for you.

good therory for people with compulsions, but what about people with intrusive thoufghts of harming etc?

did the article say anything about that?

I don't think it said anything about that, but it was a while ago so it might have done. I'm not sure if I even read all of it! :blushing:

However, since OCD is about wanting to keep things safe the intrusive/harming thoughts are probably there to try to protect your emotions/feelings. Just my opinion, though :dry:. It usually happens that the intrusive thoughts people get are actually the opposite of what they really want to happen. I don't know why it comes out that way though - funny.

Guest demonfight

It usually happens that the intrusive thoughts people get are actually the opposite of what they really want to happen.

Certainly and of course the content of these harming,for example,thoughts almost never comes true....So this condition ensure that nothing bad is going to happen to the beloved persons.....The book maybe could say about it that in this situation there is also a survival issue....The one of the ocder's relative/friendly environment.....