has your ocd ever made you walk out of a job?

Guest madeline

Guest madeline

I handed in my notice last week because I've found a new job, but I offered to work my notice....

So I left for work today which started at 6, I was a bit late (3 minutes at the most) because of my OCD, and while walking into work I still hadn't finished the thing I was checking. I even started walking into work and turned back to my car (I get worried that I haven't turned the engine off, even though I've taken the key out and locked the car, and I think the handbrake is down and that my car is going to roll away.) so I had to go back again and make sure the engine is off. Stupid I know. I was convinced I could hear the noise of it even though I had the key in my hand.

Anyway, so I get into work at about 6.03, feeling pretty anxious and wanting to go back and check again but I knew I couldn't because I was already late.

So I sign in blahblah and get to work, still anxious. I wanted to go to the window and check that my car was still there.

To make things worse, a supervisor, we'll call her Jill, called me over and was like "what's this?" because I had signed in as 6pm even though I got there at 6.03. You'd do the same right? Then she started having a go at me and accused me of being 15 mins late and even said someone had backed her up on that, even though I KNOW for a fact I was there bang on 6.03. So I get all annoyed and walk off. Then I'm thinking, I shouldn't be treated like this, this is an excuse for me to walk out and check my car etc. So I walk outside to check my car then I just get in it and drive home.

I was treated like rubbish by my supervisor but I blame most of it on my OCD... ah. I know this is long and boring but has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've walked out of 3 jobs now all due to OCD related things.

I have a new job and I'm really going to try hard to stick at this one, I feel disapointed in myself for walking out of jobs constantly, and everybody (my family, friends) think that I'm just being lazy and thats why I walk out. I don't tell them its the OCD. They know I have it but they have no idea that it's affecting me this way. To be honest I don't want them to know... even though I'd rather they knew about it than think I'm just a lazy F up (sorry about the language) who can't keep a job. Ahh it sucks. Any similar events in your life? Please share.

Madeline

p.s. I have to go in on sunday to pick up my last wages. I don't know how I'm gonna explain myself. Any advice??

Edited by Guest

Hi Madeline,

This doesn't sound like the OCD making you quit to me but the fact that your supervisor wrongly accused you of being 15 minutes late! That would really wind me up to be treated like that. How do you think the OCD made you do it - because you were late doing the checking?

On Sunday just go in, head held high, and collect your wages - will you have to see this woman?

I haven't had an experience like this because I've always been too scared to walk out of jobs! I'd never have the gumption to do it.

I think you should congratulate yourself on your new job, look forward to making a go of that and don't beat yourself up over this. Why don't you reconsider talking to your family about how OCD affects you?

Rach xx

Guest Learning2bCalm

I agree with Rachie

it seems to me you knew you were leaving anyway and your supervisor was rude, so you left. I'd phone up to say when you are collecting your wages and that you'd like them left at a reception point or something, you don't wish to see anyone after the way you were spoken to. Could you do this?

I also wonder if you could speak to your new employers about your checking. Maybe not at first, but after a while, to explain why at times you might be a few minutes late. At least this way they know you are not just being difficult but that there is a real problem. I don't know if this is a good idea but it seems more people know about OCD now.

If you are worried about your walking out of jobs, maybe you need to look at what has triggered you each time?

hope this helps

L2bC

Guest madeline

Hi Madeline,

This doesn't sound like the OCD making you quit to me but the fact that your supervisor wrongly accused you of being 15 minutes late! That would really wind me up to be treated like that. How do you think the OCD made you do it - because you were late doing the checking?

On Sunday just go in, head held high, and collect your wages - will you have to see this woman?

I haven't had an experience like this because I've always been too scared to walk out of jobs! I'd never have the gumption to do it.

I think you should congratulate yourself on your new job, look forward to making a go of that and don't beat yourself up over this. Why don't you reconsider talking to your family about how OCD affects you?

Rach xx

Yeah, I think that because of the OCD the whole thing happened, like if I wasn;t checking I wouldn't have been late and then if I didn't feel the need to go back to my car and check I wouldn't have got in it and drove home. But maybe you're right, maybe it was just her being rude. It's weird.. I never know whether it's me or the OCD.

I feel weird talking about it with my mom. I used to loads but she doesn't really understand. I think if I had a friend or family member with OCD I'd probably tell them the real reason about what happened at work today, but I don't have any, so sometimes I can't be bothered to explain things to people because they'll never understand. I should be in therapy really shouldn't I 'cos they understand, well they're meant to... hmmm.

I agree with Rachie

it seems to me you knew you were leaving anyway and your supervisor was rude, so you left. I'd phone up to say when you are collecting your wages and that you'd like them left at a reception point or something, you don't wish to see anyone after the way you were spoken to. Could you do this?

I also wonder if you could speak to your new employers about your checking. Maybe not at first, but after a while, to explain why at times you might be a few minutes late. At least this way they know you are not just being difficult but that there is a real problem. I don't know if this is a good idea but it seems more people know about OCD now.

If you are worried about your walking out of jobs, maybe you need to look at what has triggered you each time?

hope this helps

L2bC

Hey. Yeah maybe you and Rach are right. It's confusing.

Nah I don't think I can phone up and ask that, because it's at a pub kind of place so I have to go out the back and ask for my wages. My mom is going to come with me though, and she's quite scary when she gets mad, so this way I won't get shouted at by my supervisor/boss lol. I was a bit scared of that. So I think picking up the wages will be OK now.

But yeah I'm a bit worried I'll end up walking out of my next job because of the OCD. I'm gonna try hard not to 'cos I always feel so disapointed afterwards.

Well the first job I walked out of, I was getting kind of bullied by the boss anyway, like she was threatening not to pay me, but the job was also really gross, like washing up in a kitchen, I have an issue with getting dirty and smelling bad, but the more I think about that job the more I think maybe it was the boss who made me left.

The other job I have walked out of was mainly because I couldn't stand being around the people I worked with, I couldn't be myself around them and I thought they hated me. I don't know whether that's anything to do with my OCD or not? Maybe I just have an issue with people.. I'm not sure. Sorry if this is boring you or anything, I just never get to speak to anyone about this so typing it up here and getting replies helps.

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated.

p.s. how funny is big brother!!! hehe.

Oh and about telling my new job about the checking, I don't know if I could do that, I'm worried that they could use it against me and make my life hell if they knew? And just think I'm making it up or something. 'Cos I don't really feel like many people around here are aware of OCD, and if they are they don't really get it. So I'm worried they'd just think I'm making stuff up and make my job really hard for me.

Guest napo100383

I dunno if you can say I walked out but when I was 17 i worked part time in a shop n the managers two daughters always changed de shift to suit them so one day i went in at seven in de mornin n thye were like oh come back at 12 n i was like why n dey said well we changed the roster (to suit managers daughters) so i went home,told my mom i was havin a bad OCD day n started cryin n she was like u can quit if u want so she rang n quit for me!!

It was a good thing to do because id jst recovered from glanduler fever n id just arrived back n they were ringin me on my days of to come in etc,,

sometimes we think its de OCD but being treated bad is really what makes us leave the job!

Guest Learning2bCalm

ok, i hear what you are saying about mentioning the ocd.

but the issue over leaving jobs, on two occasions it was a boss/supervisor type person that made you leave and on another it was the people generally. So it might be an issue with your feelings of confidence around other people? Maybe need to find a way of coping when people are critical?

just my thoughts

:original:

Guest madeline

Yeah, but the question is how?

I was just thinking, maybe I'm just no good with people and I try to use my OCD as an excuse for this when actually it's just me.. :/

Guest Learning2bCalm

don't be too hard on yourself! identifying the problem is the first step! It sounds to me like you just need some strategies for dealing with difficult people. No one likes people like that and everyone finds it hard. Would it be an idea to speak to a therapist about this, or assertive training or something....? :original:

Guest madeline

don't be too hard on yourself! identifying the problem is the first step! It sounds to me like you just need some strategies for dealing with difficult people. No one likes people like that and everyone finds it hard. Would it be an idea to speak to a therapist about this, or assertive training or something....? :original:

I was thinking about getting therapy again, I've been out of therapy for 2 years now and when I go it never lasts, cos I feel like if I see a therapist that I'm wrong and not normal, then I convince myself I shouldn't see one anymore, so I don't go. Although it'd be nice to talk to someone in person who can understand my problems. Like I know people on this board understand sometimes, but yeah.. in person.

You can talk on here as much as you like and hopefully it will be helpful, but I do think therapy might benefit you so give it another go.

OCD does complicate things and sometimes it is hard to tell whether it's affected part of our life or not.

Try to have a positive attitude about the new job and see how it goes.

Rach x

Guest liquorice

Maybe what you need is to find a job which really suits you and your interests, and which you can do alongside like minded people...

I think that they keep bugging you and you keep quitting because you are a bit like a square peg in a round hole...

Go and find your square hole! :a1_cheesygrin:

Maybe what you need is to find a job which really suits you and your interests, and which you can do alongside like minded people...

I think that they keep bugging you and you keep quitting because you are a bit like a square peg in a round hole...

Go and find your square hole! :a1_cheesygrin: