Minds can be sick, but only in the sense that a person can be physically sick

or the economy is sick

~ Thomas Sass

Thoughts that often lie deep,

do often lie too deep for tears

~ Wordsworth

Guest peaceful

Encouraging words from the Bible:

Everything is possible for him who believes.

(Mark ch9 v23)

Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God".

(Luke ch18v27)

Nothing is impossible with God.

(Luke ch 1 v 37)

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the rock eternal.

(Isaiah ch26v3-4)

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, ( OCD)

But be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Then you will be able to test and approve what God's

will is - his good and pleasing and perfect will.

(Romans ch 12V2)

Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not unto your own understanding, in all of your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs ch 3 v 5-6)

"Let the peace that Christ gives control your thinking..."

(Colossians ch3v15NCV)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sammyhostie

A quote by Sam Keen from his book Learning to Fly:

"Albert Camus once said that it is only after we accept the absurdity of the world that we can begin to write a manual of happiness. Paradoxically when we invite our fears into the hearth of our awareness they cease to be an undifferentiated mass of terrifying demons and become tolerable guests. Each day befriend a single fear and the miscellaneous terrors of being human will never join together to form a morass of vague anxiety that rules your life. We learn to fly not by becoming fearless, but by the daily practice of courage."

I saw this quote on a OCD study page, and thought although its quite deep I think the bit at the end is really good.

We learn to fly not by becoming fearless, but by the daily practice of courage

I think that is true, it isnt that we are not scared anymore, just that we learn to overcome those fears by being brave.

:)

• 2 months later...
Guest JohnM
Hello all - DO feel free to chip in and add any qouts that you found helpful and pertinent for the battle with OCD.

M.

8741[/snapback]

Some nice qoutes ocdfighter.

I found this one helpful in my battles so far.

Imust not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. only I will remain

Frank Herbert

• 2 weeks later...

Life is a challenge - meet it.

Life is a gift - accept it.

Life is an adventure - dare it.

Life is a sorrow - overcome it.

Life is a tragedy - face it.

Life is a duty - perform it.

Life is a game - play it.

Life is a mystery - unfold it.

Life is a song - sing it.

Life is an opportunity - take it.

Life is a journey - complete it.

Life is a promise - fulfill it.

Life is a beauty - praise it.

Life is a struggle - fight it.

Life is a goal - achieve it.

Life is a puzzle - solve it.

Life is eternal - believe it.

I don't know who said that

Guest buttercups

"God (as you know it) grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference....."

--Reinhold Niebuhr

What a lovely chain :Canada:

RE: the one by Winston Churchhill, i didnt know he had OCD too. Its funny, i got the same birthday as Winston Churhill! Could it be in the stars? :lol:

Guest Gary

RE: the one by Winston Churchhill, i didnt know he had OCD too. Its funny, i got the same birthday as Winston Churhill! Could it be in the stars? :Canada:

46444[/snapback]

i think churchill had depression not ocd, might be wrong tho never got to ask him lol :tongue:

Guest cashmerecazz

'The only thing that we can be certain of is uncertainty'

Terry Wogan :Canada:

I'd better get used to it then!!

Guest buttercups

Write it on your heart

that every day is the best day in the year.

He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day

who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.

Finish every day and be done with it.

You have done what you could.

Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in.

Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;

begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit

to be cumbered with your old nonsense.

This new day is too dear,

with its hopes and invitations,

to waste a moment on the yesterdays.

ralph waldo emerson

Some of this isn't necessary for OCD people, because OCD people seem to be the loveliest people, but it's beautiful so I thought I'd include it anyway :(.

Remember to be gentle with yourself and others. We are all children of chance, and none can say why some fields will blossom while others lay brown beneath the August sun. Care for those around you. Look past your differences. Their dreams are no less than yours, their choices in life no more easily made. And give. Give in any way you can, of whatever you possess. To give is to love. To withhold is to wither. Care less for your harvest than for how it is shared, and your life will have meaning and your heart will have peace.

- Kent Nerburn

Guest charlienewman

It's an anonymous quote I once got told and have always remembered, it's something I try to remember when times are hard (especially now!)

"The past's history, the future a mystery but the present is a gift so savour it"

Guest harmony
if we wait for the moment when everything,

absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin.

Ivan Turgenev

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know.

And you are the one who'll decide where you'll go.

Oh the places you'll go

Dr Seuss

Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.

Charles Dickens

Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance

Barton, Bruce

Guest tattyhead

Love this thread. Very inspiring. I've got a few quotes somewhere I will dig them out and post soon.

Thank you everyone. Going to bed with a smile on my face and my mind.

Jane :welcome:

Guest tattyhead

Found a few quotes

'just for today do not worry' - reiki master - Dr Usui's

'nothing can bring you peace but yourself' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

' a journey of a thousand miles begins with a first step' - Chinese Proverb

'fears can be educated into us and can, if we wish, be educated out' - Karl A Menninger

' What we see depends mainly on what we look for' - John Lubbock

' you gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do' - Anna Eleanor Roosevelt

Jane

Guest tattyhead

and a few more ........

' it takes but one positive thought when given a chance to survive and thrive to overpower an entire army of negative thoughts' - Robert H Schuller

I like this one the best

' IF YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN OR YOU CAN'T, YOU ARE USUALLY RIGHT'

Love to all

Jane xx

• 2 weeks later...

'A talent is formed in stillness, a character in the world's torrent'

- unknown

'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams'

- Eleanor Roosevelt

'All your dreams come true, if you have the courage to pursue them.'

- Walt Disney

'You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.'

- Mark Twain

'Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, hope is a bird that cannot fly.'

- Langston Hughes

'When I look up, my eyes still hurt from crying, but if I can grasp my future, these platinum tears will become stars.'

- lyrics from a Japanese song

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I have another one! This is one my friend told me the other day...makes me laugh :lol:

'If life gives you lemons find someone whom life gave vodka and start one helluva party!'

I also have one I read ages ago which I think can be important to remember sometimes...

'Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom' - General George Patton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

These resonated for me recently:

"Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle. This is true freedom."

also, similarly:

"Without opposition there is no growth. It is hard to argue with that logic. A state in which we are free from problems or constraints is not happiness. Happiness is transcending all opposition and obstacles and continuing to grow."

I personally found these really positive beacuse even if it isn't what we want to hear, in life there will ALWAYS be obstacles and challenges.....you can call them problems, (personally I generally prefer not to! but that's only semantics.)

Think of everyone you know, with and without OCD.....who has an absolutely carefree life? I say no one! ~ even if your personal life is close to perfect, there are also many, many problems in the world which I believe we are all responsible for making a contribuation towards improving, whether locally and/or globally.

These thoughts tied in with what Prof. Salkovskis said at one point at the conference.....when someone asked Wendy (the lady who took part in the OCD TV programme) about her recovery and if she still has anxiety/intrusive thoughts etc. as I recall, she said that she does, but she is much more able to let them go (please pardon me if I am misquoting/paraphrasing Wendy! but I am trying to make a general point) Prof. S gave the example of having intrusive thoughts/compulsions himself, as ALL people do.....recovery from Obsessive Compulsive DISORDER does NOT mean complete absence from Obsessive Compulsive Phenomenon (ie difficult thoughts, compulsions etc.) he concluded by saying that recovery from OCD gives us the CHOICE to ignore these thoughts/compulsions.

This is all a rather long-winded way of saying that it has helped me to accept that even if there was a magic wand and I could wake up tomorrow without OCD I would still have other issues and thoughts as EVERYONE does, and that tackling challenges in life can make us stronger more resourceful people.

I have still got to tackle my OCD properly and work hard to recover, but I am beginning to have more realistic ideas about what that means.....ie, it doesn't mean when I'm better I'll never have a difficult thought/compulsion/anxiety again.....and in a strange way, knowing that makes the prospect of getting through the treatment easier..... It means I'm not aiming to become superhuman! I'm just aiming to be able to walk down the street without being overwhelmed by anxiety most of the day......Oh, and to fulfil my potential and achieve my dreams!

a1_cheesygrin.gifR*X