Responsibilty OCD and worry!!!

Guest vicki

Guest vicki

Just needed to post as I'm driving myself mad with worry at the moment. My OCD is mild (checking, praying), but I do suffer a lot with that typical OCD trait - a fear of responsibility or doing something wrong!!

I am currently in the process of selling my flat and looking for a house to buy, and am crumbling under the responsibility of it all. I worry that I've forgotton to tell the buyer something important or that I've sold it for too much or too little. I know that this is what solicitors are for, but I am getting so worked up about something going wrong and it being my fault.

I know that buying and selling a house is stressful for everyone, so maybe it isnt the OCD strictly. I know that I am generally a very anxious person and so maybe this is just an extension of what most people feel like.

Realistically the process isn't going to be over for another 6 weeks or so, and I wonder how I'm going to deal with it for that long as I'm already having trouble sleeping. Can anyone recommend any books that may help put these feelings into perspective? I've seem 'Brain Lock' recommended a lot. Would it help me with this fear of responsibility?

Guest Tracy

Hi Vicki,

Firstly calm down this is very natural to be worrying over this stressful time with buying and selling a house. Just because you have ocd doesn't mean you have to worry less than anyone else, i get like this too and i understand it is perfectly human to feel stresses with other things that go on in your life not just the ocd.

I bet other people around you have loads of stress and worry about the same things you do you are not alone, calm the chatter down a bit in your brain and tell yourself this is normal and yes brainlock may help you a bit with your responsibility aspect of your ocd. Read it i bet you feel tons better after it.

Loads of love

Tracy

xxxxx

Guest vicki

Thanks very much for your reply Tracy,

I know you are right and I know that it is probably not the OCD, it is just the normal stresses that people go through. You are right that I need to 'calm down the chatter in my brain'. Thats exactly what it feels like at the moment.

I have been very much in my comfort zone for the past few years (except a years travelling). I have had the same friends, same job and same home for a few years now. I'm now changing job and house at the same time and it's very exciting, but also quite scary.

I do think I worry about things more than the next person, but I will make a concerted effort to calm myself down and stop myself when I feel I'm getting stressed.

Thanks,

Vicki

Hi Vicki

I recognise this feeling, as it's something I have a problem with too. Many people don't seem to care about misrepresentation or withholding negative stuff, as long as they themselves come out on top. Obviously this is quite unacceptable to people like you and me, who want to be totally honest, even if it is to our own detriment! I don't really know what to advise, as like I said this subject is rather close to my own heart, but just to say I can imagine how you must be feeling.

All the best

Stephen